[Not solved, but resolved] Local DNS completely unresponsive

rekabis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 21:29    Post subject: [Not solved, but resolved] Local DNS completely unresponsive Reply with quote
Bit of a strange problem here. Current system:

• Hardware: Dlink-DIR860L-A1
  • Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r36596 std (08/14/18)
  • Setup: Router holding static IP, Shaw cable modem in bridged mode.

When I set any machine behind the unit to use *only* the unit’s DNS as the only DNS server to use, DNS completely fails. Any ping comes back as “could not find host”. Any nslookup shows that the router is being targeted, but the response is “DNS request timed out”. To all intents and purposes, the DNS functionality on the router appears to be completely kaput.

This system was also freshly re-set up less than 24hrs ago (factory reset), after it derped and was unable to allow anything to reach the Internet despite the cable modem being able to see it holding the static IP address.

Setup -> Basic Setup -> Wan Setup -> Wan Connection Type has all three DNS servers set as external ones. Google + OpenDNS IP addresses.

Setup -> Basic Setup -> Network Setup -> Router IP has the Local DNS set up with the router’s own IP (192.168.0.1).

Setup -> Basic Setup -> Network Setup -> Network Address Server Settings (DHCP) has all three essential checkboxes selected:
  • Use DNSMasq for DHCP
  • Use DNSMasq for DNS
  • DHCP-Authoritative

And strangely enough, DHCP is working just fine. So DNSMasq itself should be functional.

Services -> Services -> Services Management -> DHCP Server has:
  • Used Domain: LAN + WLAN
  • LAN Domain: [domain].home

Services -> Services -> Services Management -> DNSMasq has got only DNSMasq and Local DNS enabled.

This is very confusing - from what I can tell, these are the minimum settings required to get DD-WRT to act as a DNS server for internal clients. Did I do something wrong?

Last edited by rekabis on Sat Aug 18, 2018 0:25; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
rekabis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 0:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
In order to resolve the issue I had to revert back to a prior firmware version, and I chose one at random:
  • DD-WRT v3.0-r34411 std (01/07/18)

From there, I still experienced a number of times when the entire system suddenly had DNSMasq crash and not recover (even after a hard restart). Only conducting a factory reset and starting again from scratch helped me move past the issues. The 30/30/30 reset method only ever brought up a “reinstall the manufacturer’s firmware” page, so I don’t know what was up with that.

By doing one small config setting at a time and saving each time, I was able to get it back up and running. With that said, there are two primary radios (2.4Ghz & 5Ghz) and I was able to create a guest network on just one radio (2.4Ghz), because extending that guest network to the other radio always caused DNSMasq to crash as soon as I configured a DHCP server for it.

From what I can tell, the 2018 DD-WRT packages for the D-Link 860L appear to be exceptionally unstable and prone to derping badly. The prior package that had been installed, from 2016, had been as stable as a rock until the power outage. YMMV.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
set the DNS servers in "Network Address Server Settings (DHCP)" instead of "WAN Connection Type"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: