[SEMI-SOLVED] Kong 36440M (and previous) VAPs not connecting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Pandora-Box
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:45    Post subject: [SEMI-SOLVED] Kong 36440M (and previous) VAPs not connecting Reply with quote
Hello to All,
Router Netgear R7000.
dd-wrt versions: Kong 36440M and back to 35550M (did not try BS builds), and farther back.
I have been trying to use virtual WLAN. I created wl0.1 (2.4GHz) and wl1.1 (5GHz), and am not able to authenticate to these SSIDs, by any means. From Windows, Linux, Android, various hardware, but to no avail.
Seeking advice how to "tackle" it or what to do to remedy this problem.
Has any one tried virtual SSIDs with any success with these builds?
Maybe I should create them using CLI and not GUI? Or open TRAC bug ticket?
Erase nvram does not remedy this issue.
Any constructive advice will be very welcomed.
Sincerely,
P-B

Last edited by Pandora-Box on Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:17; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
wabe
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:15    Post subject: Re: Kong 36440M (and previous) virtual WLAN not connecting.. Reply with quote
Pandora-Box wrote:
Hello to All,
Router Netgear R7000.
dd-wrt versions: Kong 36440M and back to 35550M (did not try BS builds), and farther back.
I have been trying to use virtual WLAN. I created wl0.1 (2.4GHz) and wl1.1 (5GHz), and am not able to authenticate to these SSIDs, by any means. From Windows, Linux, Android, various hardware, but to no avail.
Sincerely,
P-B

Have not upgraded past 36070 due to these reported problems. Virtual WLAN works fine up until 36070M on ASUS AC68U which has very similar H/W to R7000. Try 36070M and see if it works.

Asus AC-68U rev. A1 on Build 53339
Pandora-Box
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Unfortunately,
no luck with the suggested solutions.
As a matter of fact, when I make any changes to virtual SSIDs and apply the changes they do just disappear from the radar, like they stop broadcasting.
The only solution is to reboot the router, which I cannot do too frequently since it is in the "production" area, and I do not have a test unit.
Maybe any other suggestions?
Thanks.
P-B

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:30    Post subject: Re: Kong 36440M (and previous) virtual WLAN not connecting.. Reply with quote
wabe wrote:
Pandora-Box wrote:
Hello to All,
Router Netgear R7000.
Sincerely,
P-B

Have not upgraded past 36070 due to these reported problems. Virtual WLAN works fine up until 36070M on ASUS AC68U which has very similar H/W to R7000. Try 36070M and see if it works.

I went through almost the entire builds to no avail. Finally allowed me to setup a -working- repeater on 36440.

Deployed Routers:
Netgear R7800 - 1x build 46979
- Gateway (USB /w Entware, CAKE QoS)
Netgear R7000 - 3x build 46979
Pandora-Box
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
@ SinCalChewy
so, with the repeater did you succeed authentication using virtual SSIDs?
As a matter of fact, I do need router and not repeater.
If any one has problems (or success) using virtual SSIDs authentication, please report it here including hardware and firmware.
It appears it might need to be reported to devs as a long existing bug.
THX
P-B

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Pandora-Box wrote:
@ SinCalChewy
If any one has problems (or success) using virtual SSIDs authentication, please report it here including hardware and firmware.
THX
P-B

As mentioned I'm running 3 x Asus AC68Us in Gateway mode all with virtual WLANs as guest networks. Works quite well using 38000 and 38070 builds. Use WPA2 encryption. Since these guest networks are essential I have not upgraded to the most recent builds.

Asus AC-68U rev. A1 on Build 53339
r6300v2usr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 15:39    Post subject: vap with kong build newer than 36070 on R7000 Reply with quote
Pandora-Box wrote:
@ SinCalChewy
THX
P-B

Similar here: I run Kong 36070 with a guest vap (wl0.1) on 2.4G (wl0), HW: R7000.
Up to this build the wireless vap is OK.

Any tested newer builds make the wl0 and wl0.1 disappear: No SSID of the mentioned networks are shown.
The wl1 (5G) has no vap and works as expected.
Pandora-Box
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello,
Just FYI:
After more research and tests I sort of succeeded to get virtual SSIDs (VAPs) authenticating Wink
This is how I solved it:
1. Originally, I did create VAPs in unbridged mode on separate subnets. (Wireless Tab; Basic Settings)
2. I moved routers' ports to separate VLANs. (Setup Tab; VLANs). (This was to separate wired ports and networks).
[Digression: One thing I do not understand there are options under "Assigned to bridge" column for None/LAN. These settings never worked for me, always reverted to None. What is it suppose to do, what is it refering to?].
3. Next I created additional bridges on separate subnets and assigned VAP interfaces to those bridges (away from default br0).
4. I added and activated DHCP servers for those new bridges subnets.

Note: At this point VAPs were setup as unbridged, and authentication did NOT work.

5. Now, I did change VAPs from unbridged to bridged and VOILA! it started working. (Wireless Tab; Basic Settings)
I have read somewhere that unbridged mode might cause authentication issues, and this is dated long, long time back.
If this is going to help someone, please, report it, and Good Luck.
Sincerely,
P-B

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Pandora-Box wrote:
Hello,
Just FYI:
After more research and tests I sort of succeeded to get virtual SSIDs (VAPs) authenticating Wink
This is how I solved it:
1. Originally, I did create VAPs in unbridged mode on separate subnets. (Wireless Tab; Basic Settings)
2. I moved routers' ports to separate VLANs. (Setup Tab; VLANs). (This was to separate wired ports and networks).
[Digression: One thing I do not understand there are options under "Assigned to bridge" column for None/LAN. These settings never worked for me, always reverted to None. What is it suppose to do, what is it refering to?].
3. Next I created additional bridges on separate subnets and assigned VAP interfaces to those bridges (away from default br0).
4. I added and activated DHCP servers for those new bridges subnets.

Note: At this point VAPs were setup as unbridged, and authentication did NOT work.

5. Now, I did change VAPs from unbridged to bridged and VOILA! it started working. (Wireless Tab; Basic Settings)
I have read somewhere that unbridged mode might cause authentication issues, and this is dated long, long time back.
If this is going to help someone, please, report it, and Good Luck.
Sincerely,
P-B

I have no issues with an unbridged VAP in the latest build of BS with the workaround mentioned by kernel-panic69. But I don't know the difference between this and Kongs version.

Navigation

Jump to: