Wireless Physical Interface vanishing 36070M / 36440M

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
gilds
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:39    Post subject: Wireless Physical Interface vanishing 36070M / 36440M Reply with quote
I am new to DD WRT and am loving it. But I ran into an issue and don't know how to fix it. I have flashed my Netgear R8500 from stock firmware to 36070M kongac using Kong's CHK file. All worked well for a couple of days. Then the 2.4 GHz physical interface vanished (and the WiFi configured for that as well). I've tried the latest test build (36440M) but it was no different. So now I am back to 36070M and right after flashing, rebooting, configuring username and password for the router I can see all three interfaces. The next time I boot (even without changing settings) only the two 5 GHz interfaces remain.

I also noticed that the 2.4 GHz's interface did not have a radio button selection for bridging. And even after enabling or disabling bridging and hitting save and apply the radio button would return to it's unselected state.

I have made a backup of the settings right after flashing but when I restore from this backup still only 2 interfaces do show up.

So it seems that only on the first boot after flashing a new firmware I will see all 3 interfaces.

I don't see any errors in the Syslog. Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated.

I bought the router in Australia (where it is used) but am using the UNITED_STATES regulatory domain - not sure if this is relevant.

Thanks!
Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Known issue with the r8500. I had 6 or 7 with missing bands. Return it and get something else. Not an r7000p, it has the same issue.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for your reply. Does that mean it's a hardware defect of my unit or is it just not fully compatible with DD-WRT (or vice versa)?

Are there any workarounds maybe?

Is there a way to put the stock firmware back on? I am worried that I might not be able to return it if it has a different firmware...

Thanks again!
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hardware failure. Just upload the Netgear firmware through the update page.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Really appreciate your help! I downloaded the most recent firmware from Netgear's website. But it's a CHK file not a BIN file and I tried to flash it through DD-WRTs firmware update GUI but it just froze. After rebooting it's still on the DD-WRT firmware.

Should that work with a CHK firmware?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/TFTP_flash

Or you may have to put it in recovery mode and flash the stock firmware that way. Malachi would probably know for sure, but that is my input.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
It doesn’t have a recovery mode. Reset it while on dd-wrt and try again. It should flash.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried again and unfortunately it doesn't work. The DD-WRT GUI shows a progress bar and then goes into a HTTP error. Then nothing happens even if I wait for 10 minutes or so. Then I disconnect the power, wait 1 minute, reconnect and it comes up with DD-WRT again.

It looses the DD-WRT settings everytime but that is probably because I select to "revert to default settings after flashing" in the firmware upgrade window.

Is there some other way to flash the Netgear original CHK firmware to the router?

I tried the TFTP way but that didn't work either. From the Wiki it seems to be a timing thing so I could try a couple of more times.

Any other idea?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try a different browser. If not, serial flashing. Or command line.
You could transfer the firmware to the router using winscp then flashing it that way.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Malachi. I've tried Chrome and Firefox with identical results. I then copied the firmware file to /tmp using WinSCP. I ran the following command in Putty:

Code:
write firmware-r8500.chk linux

It then immediately displays this message and closes the Putty connection:

Quote:
Netgear chk format detected

Unfortunately I don't have a serial cable. It's not like the router is bricked. I can access the GUI fine and even flash several Kong builds. I just can't seem to be able to flash the Netgear firmware...

Any other ideas? Thanks in advance!
gilds
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 13:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, I tried another thing to no avail:

Quote:
root@DD-WRT:/tmp# mtd -r write r8500.chk linux
Unlocking linux ...
Could not unlock MTD device: linux
linux: Not supported
Writing from r8500.chk to linux ... [e]Failed to get erase block status

Thought it was worth a try but didn't help...
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 13:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try older r8500 firmware. Like maybe the first one on their site.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 15:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for your help! I did succeed to flash with TFTP after a couple of tries. I now have the netgear firmware on the router and will return it.

Thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: