New Build: 08-14-2018-r36596

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
BobbyLee
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 21:07    Post subject: New Build: 08-14-2018-r36596 Reply with quote
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2018/08-14-2018-r36596/
Sponsor
DaveI
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 22:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Flashed from Linksys Partition without issue.

Firmware Version
DD-WRT v3.0-r36596 std (08/14/18)
Kernel Version
Linux 4.9.119 #340 SMP PREEMPT Tue Aug 14 01:16:29 CEST 2018 armv7l

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 23:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
UPDATE: Per advice/experience noted on this post, I tried to install with Edge and it installed as usual as a flash upgrade. I was trying Chrome previously. So far everything seems to be running fine.

FIRST ATTEMPT: I have a WRT1900ACSv1: I attempted to do a flash upgrade (using Chrome) keeping my configs like usual. It acted like it was working but taking much longer than normal ... finally after 5mins I powered off/on the router. I was still on r36527 (so upgrade didn't complete). Due to insanity, tried same steps once more, same results. Smile

It looks like if I put the Linksys firmware back on, then install from there it would work based on @DaveI's experience but I don't feel like reconfiguring/etc. right now. Staying on r36527 for now.
ISP: Comcast (250 Mbps down | 10 Mbps up)

Last edited by derWolfMan on Thu Aug 16, 2018 16:10; edited 1 time in total
KSH_CO
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 0:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a WRT1900ACSv1. It was running 34315, one of the last builds that had a working miniDLNA (until recently). I did a flash upgrade keeping my configs and it seems to work fine. Notably, miniDLNA fired up with the boot, no other work was required.
DaveI
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 0:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
KSH_CO wrote:
Notably, miniDLNA fired up with the boot, no other work was required.

KSH_CO,

So you didn't have to hit apply settings after reboot of the router for miniDLNA to read your media files...Mine still required it...
Are you using EXT4?? I am using NTFS. I'm wondering if that might be the issue. My NTFS drive works great and I get 70MB/s write and 80 to 100MB/s read but if I could fix the last little issue with miniDLNA by formatting to EXT4 I might think about doing it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
GUI does not crash anymore when wireless status page is being viewed, so this one is fixed as well.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
DaveI wrote:
KSH_CO wrote:

KSH_CO,

So you didn't have to hit apply settings after reboot of the router for miniDLNA to read your media files...Mine still required it...
Are you using EXT4?? I am using NTFS. I'm wondering if that might be the issue. My NTFS drive works great and I get 70MB/s write and 80 to 100MB/s read but if I could fix the last little issue with miniDLNA by formatting to EXT4 I might think about doing it.

So everything is not as rosy as I first believed. I have two exFAT partitions on which the media sits, and a small EXT4 partition for JFFS. This seemed to work well, miniDLNA would write its media info to the EXT4. I believe it's still doing that - I'll need to check - and it did fire up without any intervention, but it's missing A LOT of the media. I have like >1000 personal videos of kids & family, >50,000 pictures of the same, and some movies. It did a new media scan and missed A LOT...

I'll do some checking when I'm home again and see what else I can say. Sure, miniDLNA is working, but not like it was in the 12/30/17 build... Maybe first thing is I'll roll back to that build on the other partition and make sure I'm not just imagining things...
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Attempted to upgrade my WRT1900AC v1 from r36527 to r36596 via Webflash, however, the upgrade never completed in the browser (Windows Chrome). The router did boot after power-cycling, however, the GUI was unreachable!

Managed to get back to r31294 on the other partition via the triple power toggle technique, then re-ran the Webflash upgrade.

This time it worked... Discuss!!!

Maybe the GUI bug in r36527 affects the Webflash from succeeding?

Firmware: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2021/

Last edited by Yemble on Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:51; edited 4 times in total
spuriousoffspring
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Several people have been experiencing this issue and so far I haven't seen anything to help narrow it down.
A while back a few people reported being unable to generate a backup which could be a potential clue, but I haven't seen anything more on it.

Could someone please try backing up their DD-WRT configuration just to make sure?

Also, if you're unable to flash or upgrade DD-WRT the following would be very helpful:

Did you attempt to flash from Linksys GUI or upgrade from DD-WRT?

Did you perform a reset before or after flash?

From what version did you upgrade?

What Operating System / Distro did you use?

What browser(s) did you use?

What, if any, additional services were in use at time of upgrade (Bridge Mode, USB, NAS, OpenVPN Server, OpenVPN Client, etc...)?

WRT32X DD-WRT Installation Procedure
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=315569

IPVanish OpenVPN Client Setup TUTORIAL
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=308565

FIRMWARE: OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r8217-2cc821e / LuCI Master (git-18.276.41146-280dd33)
MODEM: ARRIS SURFBoard SB8200
ROUTER: Linksys WRT32X
USB NAS: Western Digital BLACK 1 TB Hardrive + Startech USB 3.0 External SATA III Enclosure
DaveI
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
KSH_CO wrote:
DaveI wrote:
KSH_CO wrote:

KSH_CO,

So everything is not as rosy as I first believed. I have two exFAT partitions on which the media sits, and a small EXT4 partition for JFFS. This seemed to work well, miniDLNA would write its media info to the EXT4. I believe it's still doing that - I'll need to check - and it did fire up without any intervention, but it's missing A LOT of the media. I have like >1000 personal videos of kids & family, >50,000 pictures of the same, and some movies. It did a new media scan and missed A LOT...

I'll do some checking when I'm home again and see what else I can say. Sure, miniDLNA is working, but not like it was in the 12/30/17 build... Maybe first thing is I'll roll back to that build on the other partition and make sure I'm not just imagining things...

I have my router reboot daily (at 5:30AM)...
When I wake up I just login to the router and then hit APPLY SETTINGS on the Admin Page...Don't need to do anything else...That makes the router/miniDLNA rescan and find my media files. It doesn't show any files until I do that...Then after you've hit the APPLY SETTINGS you just need to wait a couple of minutes and then it will show all your media file/folders. At least that works for me...It's just a small inconvenience...I was thinking it may have something to do with my NTFS formatted drive. I too had been running an older version 34313 up until about 2 versions ago when BS pretty much fixed miniDLNA except for this one little nag. Not a big deal for me but if I could fix it by reformating recopying files to EXT4 I would do it but I'd rather stay NTFS unless I knew for sure doing the alternative format would fix it.

Last edited by DaveI on Wed Aug 15, 2018 20:57; edited 1 time in total
DaveI
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
spuriousoffspring wrote:
Several people have been experiencing this issue and so far I haven't seen anything to help narrow it down.
A while back a few people reported being unable to generate a backup which could be a potential clue, but I haven't seen anything more on it.

Could someone please try backing up their DD-WRT configuration just to make sure?

[/b]

Backup DONE. No anomalies.

Flash was performed from the Linksys Partition.
Version flashed from was 36410.
Router has been running for about 24 hours without issue.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
DaveI wrote:
KSH_CO wrote:

So everything is not as rosy as I first believed. [...]

I have my router reboot daily (at 5:30AM)...
When I wake up I just login to the router and then hit APPLY SETTINGS on the Admin Page...Don't need to do anything else...That makes the router/miniDLNA rescan and find my media files. It doesn't show any files until I do that...Then after you've hit the APPLY SETTINGS you just need to wait a couple of minutes and then it will show all your media file/folders. At least that works for me...It's just a small inconvenience...I was thinking it may have something to do with my NTFS formatted drive. I too had been running an older version 34313 up until about 2 versions ago when BS pretty much fixed miniDLNA except for this one little nag. Not a big deal for me but if I could fix it by reformating recopying files to EXT4 I would do it but I'd rather stay NTFS unless I knew for sure doing the alternative format would fix it.

I don't reboot daily, I just let it build uptime, but it definitely works right off the bat - as soon as I get a Wireless address, I can start streaming. However as I mentioned I have miniDLNA storing its media search to /jffs/minidlna/files.db. Maybe this helps? Donno. The storage is also (mostly) formatted exFAT (two 256GB thumb drives), except for a small 4GB EXT4 partition for JFFS on one of the drives. Maybe try creating the JFFS to store the search first (if you haven't already)? I was able to use partition magic (or similar) to cram this JFFS partition on the end of one of my drives without reformatting the whole thing.

I was wrong about the 34313/34315 (12/30/17) build having a "better" miniDLNA. I rebooted to that build and had it scan the files. It doesn't see my huge picture directories either... both versions miss a lot of photos for some reason. Googling about this to try to find a possible fix, will post if I figure anything out.
DaveI
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="KSH_CO"][quote="DaveI"]
KSH_CO wrote:

I was wrong about the 34313/34315 (12/30/17) build having a "better" miniDLNA. I rebooted to that build and had it scan the files. It doesn't see my huge picture directories either... both versions miss a lot of photos for some reason. Googling about this to try to find a possible fix, will post if I figure anything out.

Cool. I use mine for MP3 files to stream to multiple internet radios throughout the house. I've got movie folders/files too that it picks up fine (Some as large as 6GB) but I just use it for music mainly.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:28    Post subject: WRT3200- failed Reply with quote
Attempted to flash from factory partition but unable to reach the DD WRT GUI upon completion. Rebboted and was able to get in but shortly crashed again and was unreachable. Went back to factory Sad
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
spuriousoffspring wrote:

@spurious

Someone on the Archer C9 thread suggested that the failed upgrade attempts on recent firmware maybe related to the browser being used, more specifically Chrome, and that IE works better. Not sure about this, however, I was using Chrome when my first upgrade attempt locked up. I think, although I can't be certain, that I may have been using Edge for my second, successful, upgrade attempt.

This is circumstantial evidence at best, so requires further proof!

Firmware: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2021/
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: