Retirement (but not EOL) of my MI424WR Rev A

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> ARM or PPC based Hardware
mynameisnobody
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 0:24    Post subject: Retirement (but not EOL) of my MI424WR Rev A Reply with quote
Sometime in the past, I picked up a verizon MI424WR Rev A which is the first router I've used with DD-WRT.

To get wireless working on the rev. A, I purchased an after market atheros wireless card and installed it as described in this thread. It was worth the effort. Based on my experience, DD-WRT is undervalued.

While the wiki instructions and forum contain good information, it still is confusing. It took me a while to learn that the forums have build reports that give useful observations from other users or developers about how any given build performs. Even then, I haven't found much about the "end of life" for a device.

For what it's worth, this post documents my observation about the last build I can flash on the rev A version (has someone else posting something similar in a different forum?). Note that the Rev A was recalled by verizon and, despite my positive experience with it, I wouldn't recommend someone use it now.

The last version I can flash on the rev A with web interface is 20452 (2013.01.01). After that, I can only flash by using redboot as described in the MI424WR wiki.

Several attempts trying to go from 20452 to later builds via the GUI would report as successful but always show 20452 as the running version upon reboot.

The last version I can flash with redboot is 24461 (2014.06.23).

The forum report for version 24461 2014.06.23 is here.

After 24461 (for example 25179), flashing via redboot returns something like:
Code:

Can't locate 784000(7880704) bytes free in FLASH

When flashing from redboot, don't forget to type in the boot script as described in the wiki even if the correct lines show up as the default.

I still see used verizon Rev D router advertised for sale. It's my hope someone can post similar reports about the rev C and rev D which also can run DD-WRT.
There are still builds (36410) for MI424WR as of the date of this post. Can someone with a Rev C or D post if they can flash 36410+ on it? If not what is the last version you can flash and how?
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> ARM or PPC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: