Can't Revert to DD-WRT from OpenWrt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Author Message
dkwalton
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 20 Jul 2018
Posts: 28

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:58    Post subject: Can't Revert to DD-WRT from OpenWrt Reply with quote
I loaded OpenWrt on a WRT1900ACSv2 mistakenly thinking I could always easily revert back to the Linksys OEM firmware and then to DD-WRT or straight from OpenWrt to DD-WRT.

Evidently both partitions on the WRT1900ACS have OpenWrt on them and I cannot revert to the Linksys firmware by changing partitions (via PUtty).

Is there a way I can force the WRT1900ACSv2 to install either Linksys OEM firmware or DD-WRT firmware to the WRT1900ACS?


Last edited by dkwalton on Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:33; edited 3 times in total
Sponsor
rwbarrett
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 29 Aug 2006
Posts: 36

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you follow the "Flash OpenwWRT to OEM" instructions here?

https://openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wrt_ac_series?s[]=wrt1900acsv2#flashing_firmware
oliver44
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 01 Jun 2016
Posts: 32

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Works for WRT1900ACS V2

If you are on Windows, you will need WinScp to copy the linksys firmware to the / tmp directory of your WRT1900AC

Open Winscp, click on new website and then enter the ip of the router, enter the option SCP enter user and password of the router and of enter or click on login.

On the right side navigate to the tmp folder, then on the left side navigate to where you saved the firmware and copy into the tmp folder.

After the transfer, close the Winsp, and open putty.

In the Putty type root@192.168.1.1 and then you will be prompted for the router password enter the password and enter.

Done this, select the directory in Putty with the command cd /tmp.

And then run the command sysupgrade -n -F (your linksysfirmware.any :FW_WRT1900ACSV2_2.0.2.188405_prod.img)
where you are between relatives enter the full name of the firmware with extension.

Then enter and the router will start to update and then reboot already with linksys firmware.

_________________
Internet provider https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCS_%26_RDS RCS & RDS 1Gbps
Linksys WRT1900ACS v.2 - OpenWrt/DD-WRT
WDR3600 rev.1.5 - OpenWrt
mikeska
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 15 Jun 2018
Posts: 35

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:42    Post subject: Re: Screwed By OpenWrt Can't Rever to DD-WRT Reply with quote
dkwalton wrote:
I made the HUGE mistake of loading OpenWrt on a WRT1900ACSv2 thinking that if I could not get it to build a pseudo client relay bridge between two networks (192.168.0.1 internet connected to 192.169.1.1 client) I could always revert back to the Linksys OEM firmware and then to DD-WRT or straight from OpenWrt to DD-WRT where such a bridge is a snap.

Now I am screwed. Evidently both partitions on the WRT1900ACS have OpenWrt on them and I cannot revert to the Linksys firmware by changing partitions (via PUtty).

Is there a way I can force the WRT1900ACSv2 to install either Linksys OEM firmware or DD-WRT .bin firmware to the WRT1900ACS?

DD-WRT GURUS any ideas?


Did you start with dd-wrt on a partition and stock firmware on the other? I'm considering trying out Davidc's new build on my wrt 3200, but won't if I can't easily switch back to the firmware partition if it doesn't work out.

_________________
Router: Linksys WRT3200ACM (Winbond)
Build: Davidc502 LEDE Snapshot r7829 (Rango)
Devices: linux laptops, roku, qnap TS-251
myersw
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 13 Jun 2006
Posts: 1609
Location: SE Michigan USA

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 15:13    Post subject: Re: Screwed By OpenWrt Can't Rever to DD-WRT Reply with quote
mikeska wrote:
Did you start with dd-wrt on a partition and stock firmware on the other? I'm considering trying out Davidc's new build on my wrt 3200, but won't if I can't easily switch back to the firmware partition if it doesn't work out.


As long as you always keep the Linksys partition and install other firmware like DD-WRT or LEDE from the Linksys UI you will always have the Linksys firmware to get back to. That is how I did it when I was playing with a wrt3200. Never had an issue doing this. Even is the 3rd party firmware totally hosed the partition and would not boot up I could still get back to Linksys with the 3 off/on sequence that is written up in the stickies, or in my sig. If you have not, read them yet do so. Lots of good info. Always do a factory to dd-wrt if running dd-wrt from the Linksys UI this is the way to update dd-wrt rather then through the dd-wrt UI. Same goes for using the install from factory to LEDE file for updates.

Reason for above is that when you install new firmware the wrt will always install in the inactive partition overlaying what is currently there. This is how folks into to the I need to get Linksys back on my router, they did a upgrade through the 3rd party's UI with the upgrade file.

I found davidc502's firmware to run well. When I was playing with the wrt3200 the drivers were crap so both LEDE and DD-WRT had issues since they have to use the same driver provided by Marvel. Reading the forums it looks like the drivers are much better now. Sold my WRT's so cannot test.

_________________
Unifi Security Gateway: Unifi Firmware
Netgear r7800: Voxel Firmware
Modem:Netgear CM500V voice and Data.
ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
mikeska
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 15 Jun 2018
Posts: 35

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 23:38    Post subject: Re: Screwed By OpenWrt Can't Rever to DD-WRT Reply with quote
myersw wrote:
mikeska wrote:
Did you start with dd-wrt on a partition and stock firmware on the other? I'm considering trying out Davidc's new build on my wrt 3200, but won't if I can't easily switch back to the firmware partition if it doesn't work out.


As long as you always keep the Linksys partition and install other firmware like DD-WRT or LEDE from the Linksys UI you will always have the Linksys firmware to get back to. That is how I did it when I was playing with a wrt3200. Never had an issue doing this. Even is the 3rd party firmware totally hosed the partition and would not boot up I could still get back to Linksys with the 3 off/on sequence that is written up in the stickies, or in my sig. If you have not, read them yet do so. Lots of good info. Always do a factory to dd-wrt if running dd-wrt from the Linksys UI this is the way to update dd-wrt rather then through the dd-wrt UI. Same goes for using the install from factory to LEDE file for updates.

Reason for above is that when you install new firmware the wrt will always install in the inactive partition overlaying what is currently there. This is how folks into to the I need to get Linksys back on my router, they did a upgrade through the 3rd party's UI with the upgrade file.

I found davidc502's firmware to run well. When I was playing with the wrt3200 the drivers were crap so both LEDE and DD-WRT had issues since they have to use the same driver provided by Marvel. Reading the forums it looks like the drivers are much better now. Sold my WRT's so cannot test.


Thanks myersw, yes I read all of the stickies and got the recover to stock procedures down before installing for the first time. The stock partition has been carefully kept intact.

_________________
Router: Linksys WRT3200ACM (Winbond)
Build: Davidc502 LEDE Snapshot r7829 (Rango)
Devices: linux laptops, roku, qnap TS-251
mikeska
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 15 Jun 2018
Posts: 35

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Trying out Davidc's new build right now, has been working great all night. Wow, a new build and no drops or hangs Very Happy

It's a bit advanced and there's quite a bit of documentation on the OpenWrt site. Davidc's custom build thread at

https://forum.openwrt.org/t/davidc502-wrt1200ac-wrt1900acx-wrt3200acm-wrt32x-builds/15839

has been a good place to start as it explains how his builds are relatively minimal and geared for the beginning to intermediate user. Haven't set up custom dns yet, but he's even released a script to set up dnscrypt-proxy V2 that looks easy to set up. https://davidc502sis.dynamic-dns.net/dnscrypt/

We'll see how it goes. Thanks again myersw!

_________________
Router: Linksys WRT3200ACM (Winbond)
Build: Davidc502 LEDE Snapshot r7829 (Rango)
Devices: linux laptops, roku, qnap TS-251
ghoffman
DD-WRT User


Joined: 03 Jan 2010
Posts: 453

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
it is true that openwrt and dd-wrt are not highly intercompatible. if you can get back to stock from openwrt, then you can go to dd-wrt, as myersw has indicated.
i have gone directly from openwrt to dd-wrt also.
see the thread by spuriousoffspring or the long thread on wrt32x.

both dd-wrt and openwrt have their advantages. these communities are fantastic.
mikeska
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 15 Jun 2018
Posts: 35

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
ghoffman wrote:
it is true that openwrt and dd-wrt are not highly intercompatible. if you can get back to stock from openwrt, then you can go to dd-wrt, as myersw has indicated.
i have gone directly from openwrt to dd-wrt also.
see the thread by spuriousoffspring or the long thread on wrt32x.

both dd-wrt and openwrt have their advantages. these communities are fantastic.


I think so too, that's why I'll still be watching dd-wrt.

_________________
Router: Linksys WRT3200ACM (Winbond)
Build: Davidc502 LEDE Snapshot r7829 (Rango)
Devices: linux laptops, roku, qnap TS-251
Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum