Repeater Bridge WRT3200

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
gospeedgo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:40    Post subject: Repeater Bridge WRT3200 Reply with quote
Hello everyone, I would like to use the WRT3200 as a repeater bridge but in the options I can not find this function but only AP, Client Bridge, WDS, is not supported? thank you
Sponsor
WebSurfinMurf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:07    Post subject: Quite Bizzarre Reply with quote
I am sitting here with my WRT3200, not yet flashed, and want to do the same thing!
WENED
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:54    Post subject: Repeater Bridge Reply with quote
WDS is repeater bridge mode, but requires almost identical hardware on both ends. I have four routers operating with wds, as you can see by my description below. The two 3200's are flawless in their operation, however I had to disable security and hide my ssid on the network as the 1200 and 1900 wouldn't play nice with the 3200. Both would drop connection every hour and reconnect because of authentication issues. As is all my wired/wireless devices think they are on the same network. Although I don't repeat my 5ghz on the clients I do use 2.4ghz. This allows for maximum transfer between wds AP and WDS Stations. I have tried a Virtual interface on a station to see how it works and there was no problem. Even though my master is set as WWDS it still allows non WDS clients to connect. It all depends on what your needs are and your available hardware.
Ath1 2.4Ghz Disabled
99 Static Leases
ExpressVPN

WRT3200acm r55819 WDS Station 5Ghz
Ath1 AP N/G Mixed Channel 11 HT40

WRT1900Ac V1 5Ghz r55819 WDS Station
(Defective, no 2.4Ghz but 5Ghz works great)

WRT1900AC V1 5Ghz AC 80Mhz WDS Station r55819
2.4Ghz AP Ch1 HT20 Mixed

WRT1900ACS SPARE r54914
WRT1900AC SPARE r54914
WRT1900AC V1 5Ghz AC 80Mhz WDS-AP r55819
2.4Ghz AP Ch1 HT20 Mixed

WRT54G DD-WRT v3.0-r37305 micro AP CH 6 Mixed - Not in use

3200 Master -> LAN -> 1900ACS -> WDS 5Ghz -> 1900 V1
3200 Master -> WDS -> 3200 Slave & 1900V1
ericb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 14:35    Post subject: Re: Repeater Bridge WRT3200 Reply with quote
gospeedgo wrote:
Hello everyone, I would like to use the WRT3200 as a repeater bridge but in the options I can not find this function but only AP, Client Bridge, WDS, is not supported? thank you

I use client bridge between a few routers. Pretty easy to set up, and a lot faster than WDS, but you can't extend the mesh over distance, has to be more of a wagon wheel design, and you give up one of your radios to backbone and can't use for clients. Cliff notes: Main router should be AP. On router B, pick a radio (i use 5ghz), disable dhcp, set it too client bridge and connect to main router. Now connect clients to the 2.4 radio on the Router B.
gospeedgo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 17:51    Post subject: Re: Repeater Bridge Reply with quote
WENED wrote:
WDS is repeater bridge mode, but requires almost identical hardware on both ends. I have four routers operating with wds, as you can see by my description below. The two 3200's are flawless in their operation, however I had to disable security and hide my ssid on the network as the 1200 and 1900 wouldn't play nice with the 3200. Both would drop connection every hour and reconnect because of authentication issues. As is all my wired/wireless devices think they are on the same network. Although I don't repeat my 5ghz on the clients I do use 2.4ghz. This allows for maximum transfer between wds AP and WDS Stations. I have tried a Virtual interface on a station to see how it works and there was no problem. Even though my master is set as WWDS it still allows non WDS clients to connect. It all depends on what your needs are and your available hardware.

Thanks for the reply, I would like to ask you another question, why is it that sometimes the dhcp takes so long to assign the IP address? Sometimes he can not even assign it, can I do something to live that happens?
WENED
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 19:33    Post subject: Re: Repeater Bridge Reply with quote
gospeedgo wrote:
WENED wrote:

Thanks for the reply, I would like to ask you another question, why is it that sometimes the dhcp takes so long to assign the IP address? Sometimes he can not even assign it, can I do something to live that happens?

What is the device that is taking a long time to gain dhcp? If you have been following the posts on the 3200 you will see that the 3200 does not play nice with devices on WiFi. I have all my devices entered into the static table in services and have allowed extra non assigned addresses (99 in all). Also I had to disable wmm for my Sonoff esp8266 devices to work. If you are having trouble with Apple IOS ddevices you are not alone. The 3200's still need a lot of firmware work.

I might mention that if you are not running WDS you can expect some real weird problems with client bridging. When I did use it, I had to assign static addressing to devices so they could connect. When I looked at the LAN status (DHCP) on my master 3200, I could see a whole range of strange addresses and without WDS remote device MAC addesses all showed the MAC address of the remote router. AT least when I used Netgear extenders only half of the MAC address got squashed and I was still able to DHCP.

Ath1 2.4Ghz Disabled
99 Static Leases
ExpressVPN

2.4Ghz AP Ch1 HT20 Mixed

WRT1900ACS SPARE r54914
WRT1900AC SPARE r54914
2.4Ghz AP Ch1 HT20 Mixed

gospeedgo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 19:49    Post subject: Re: Repeater Bridge Reply with quote
WENED wrote:
gospeedgo wrote:
WENED wrote:

What is the device that is taking a long time to gain dhcp? If you have been following the posts on the 3200 you will see that the 3200 does not play nice with devices on WiFi. I have all my devices entered into the static table in services and have allowed extra non assigned addresses (99 in all). Also I had to disable wmm for my Sonoff esp8266 devices to work. If you are having trouble with Apple IOS ddevices you are not alone. The 3200's still need a lot of firmware work.

I might mention that if you are not running WDS you can expect some real weird problems with client bridging. When I did use it, I had to assign static addressing to devices so they could connect. When I looked at the LAN status (DHCP) on my master 3200, I could see a whole range of strange addresses and without WDS remote device MAC addesses all showed the MAC address of the remote router. AT least when I used Netgear extenders only half of the MAC address got squashed and I was still able to DHCP.

I often understand with Android phones, I think the only solution is to assign static IP. In what you are the best routes compatible with DD-WRT? Should I buy a new one, do you know to recommend me? Thanks
WENED
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 21:00    Post subject: Re: Repeater Bridge Reply with quote
gospeedgo wrote:
WENED wrote:
gospeedgo wrote:
WENED wrote:

I often understand with Android phones, I think the only solution is to assign static IP. In what you are the best routes compatible with DD-WRT? Should I buy a new one, do you know to recommend me? Thanks

I would not be so bold as to recommend. I see from various posts that a lot of people recommend ASUS, but not being sure what your configuration needs are makes it difficult to even suggest. I have always had good success with Linksys and only had problems with the 3200, but I am still satisfied with them after having ironed out the wifi problems to get a usable system. I have one router WRT1900AC V1 that I use in wds mode to monitor and control thermostats and cameras in my chicken barn which is 500' away. Prior to the present setup I used a 1900 as a master and a Netgear extender for years without problems. It all depends on your needs. Take a look through the DD-WRT posts or even post the question to the group, but make sure you specify your requirements.

Ath1 2.4Ghz Disabled
99 Static Leases
ExpressVPN

2.4Ghz AP Ch1 HT20 Mixed

WRT1900ACS SPARE r54914
WRT1900AC SPARE r54914
2.4Ghz AP Ch1 HT20 Mixed

gospeedgo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 21:10    Post subject: Re: Repeater Bridge Reply with quote
WENED wrote:
gospeedgo wrote:
WENED wrote:
gospeedgo wrote:
WENED wrote:

I would not be so bold as to recommend. I see from various posts that a lot of people recommend ASUS, but not being sure what your configuration needs are makes it difficult to even suggest. I have always had good success with Linksys and only had problems with the 3200, but I am still satisfied with them after having ironed out the wifi problems to get a usable system. I have one router WRT1900AC V1 that I use in wds mode to monitor and control thermostats and cameras in my chicken barn which is 500' away. Prior to the present setup I used a 1900 as a master and a Netgear extender for years without problems. It all depends on your needs. Take a look through the DD-WRT posts or even post the question to the group, but make sure you specify your requirements.

I used some range extender to extend the signal from upstairs where there is the 3200 downstairs always had problems with the Dhcp, the extender never received the IP from the dhcp of 3200, I do not understand why. I abandoned the idea of ​​the exteder and would like to connect a second router AP, I think I will buy a second 3200 so to use it with WDS mode.
WENED
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 23:48    Post subject: Re: Repeater Bridge Reply with quote
gospeedgo wrote:
WENED wrote:
gospeedgo wrote:
WENED wrote:
gospeedgo wrote:
WENED wrote:

I used some range extender to extend the signal from upstairs where there is the 3200 downstairs always had problems with the Dhcp, the extender never received the IP from the dhcp of 3200, I do not understand why. I abandoned the idea of ​​the exteder and would like to connect a second router AP, I think I will buy a second 3200 so to use it with WDS mode.

Out of curiosity I setup my EX7000 again to verify the results. I was unable to get DHCP from my 3200 with security enabled. Since I run WDS with no security, I tried that and all connected both LAN and WiFi on the EX7000 with full DHCP and Internet access. It appears that my earlier comments regarding security and the 3200 hold true, it does not like to play nice with anything other than another 3200. If I enable security on my current setup the 3200's talk fine with each other even at VHT160 but my other routers disconnect every hour and have to re-negotiate security. It seems that with the netgear it can connect but as you indicated it doesn't play nice with the 3200 security. So if you were to get a second 3200 remember that you may experience problems with WiFi, all can be worked around but you may have to run no security as I do. Incidentally I only disable security on the WDS links but put up with the occasional drops on devices which connect with security on my 2.4 band.

Ath1 2.4Ghz Disabled
99 Static Leases
ExpressVPN

2.4Ghz AP Ch1 HT20 Mixed

WRT1900ACS SPARE r54914
WRT1900AC SPARE r54914
2.4Ghz AP Ch1 HT20 Mixed

gospeedgo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:01    Post subject: Re: Repeater Bridge Reply with quote
WENED wrote:
gospeedgo wrote:
WENED wrote:
gospeedgo wrote:
WENED wrote:
gospeedgo wrote:
WENED wrote:

Out of curiosity I setup my EX7000 again to verify the results. I was unable to get DHCP from my 3200 with security enabled. Since I run WDS with no security, I tried that and all connected both LAN and WiFi on the EX7000 with full DHCP and Internet access. It appears that my earlier comments regarding security and the 3200 hold true, it does not like to play nice with anything other than another 3200. If I enable security on my current setup the 3200's talk fine with each other even at VHT160 but my other routers disconnect every hour and have to re-negotiate security. It seems that with the netgear it can connect but as you indicated it doesn't play nice with the 3200 security. So if you were to get a second 3200 remember that you may experience problems with WiFi, all can be worked around but you may have to run no security as I do. Incidentally I only disable security on the WDS links but put up with the occasional drops on devices which connect with security on my 2.4 band.

So I advise against a second 3200? You say it's better to buy another router like an asus? an RT-AC88 for example? if I buy another 3200 I would not have problelmi with wifi.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: