I think I bricked my archer c8v1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
tonyvsuk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 13:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I thought I had bricked mine as well, but have managed to get DDWRT onto it.

Get the version of DDWRT on the following page,
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/TP_Link_Archer_C8

It mentions "Do not flash builds after 33986 nor before 35452". This is where I went wrong initially, I tried flashing the latest DDWRT.

I followed the instructions on the following page (but obviously C8 instead of C9).
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=283784

Get TFTPD. Place the "factory-to-ddwrt.bin" downloaded above into the folder that TFTPD is "serving".
Rename "factory-to-ddwrt.bin" to "ArcherC8v1_tp_recovery.bin".
Change the IP address of your Ethernet connection to 192.168.0.66.
Turn off the C8. Turn back on with the reset button pressed, if all goes ok, it will download and flash the DDWRT image.

Hope this helps someone. The lights on my C8 are not working, but at least I have a working router.
Sponsor
Dogface1SG
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 23:02    Post subject: THANK YOU so much Tonyvsuk! Reply with quote
followed your instructions and worked like a charm.

I knew it wasn't bricked but in a boot loop. I will now set it up and see how it works.

I have setup 3 other modems with DD-WRT and never had a glitch. Thought I had trashed this one till I found this thread.
nmarmolejo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:00    Post subject: Saving Grace C8v1 successful flash to DD-WRT Reply with quote
I attempted to flash my C8v1 with dd-wrt before reading the warning about the build that was too big and I ended up doing a bad flash. I knew it was not bricked since I could get dhcp addresses and I could bring up the original tp link maintenance login page. I could not get any passwords for tplink or dd-wrt to work to login to the GUI and did not have any idea how to re-flash it. I researched here and found this article from others and gave it a try.
the original link for tftp no longer works as they removed it so I just did a goodgle search for tftp and found it and downloaded it.
Followed instructions listed in links in previous post and I saw it successfully transferred the firmware. But I failed to pay attention and after reboot I still had the tftp running and I think it tried to upload again.
I started over and reloaded firmware and this time as soon as it finished upload I shutdown tftp and let router flash and reboot.
Success I had no blinking lights (no lights at all as a matter of fact). I then plugged in my cable and did an ipconfig /release and renew from my windows machine and I could see I got a 192.168.1.x ip and the DG was 192.168.1.1 which is expected when you have default DD-WRT. I opened the 192.168.1.1 and bingo the default DD-WRT page with the change password was displayed.

Thanks team for saving my router! Very Happy Smile
davood.1983
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:55    Post subject: Re: I think I bricked my archer c8v1 Reply with quote
dmmer122 wrote:
Hey while updating to dd-wrt the process messed up and now all the lights blink on and off every 10 seconds or so. Ive been doing a lot of research and haven't come across archer c8 bricking only c7 and was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction on how to try and fix this, thank you.

Have you tried going back to stock firmware with stripped firmware via TFTP Server?
watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fme7kwTkttk
it's the same as your router
I hope it can help you
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 19:12    Post subject: Re: I think I bricked my archer c8v1 Reply with quote
davood.1983 wrote:
Have you tried going back to stock firmware with stripped firmware via TFTP Server?
watch this [video]
it's the same as your router
You're replying to a post from 2016, and that video is a C9, which can be reverted. Last I knew the C8 can't be, except maybe the v3/4 hardware with built-in CFE mini TFTP server. Someone had reported flashing DD on a v3, though they weren't able to revert; not sure if they even tried to access the CFE mini server.
|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
nmarmolejo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks jwh7, I was actually trying to install DD-WRT to replace the stock firmware. I wanted the features of dd-wrt. But that was an amazing video link to try and go back to stock.

Not sure pretty idiot lights are worth that Razz

anyway it works fine and meets my needs just the way it is now.
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: