DDNS to my own DDNS Server

white8
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 20:12    Post subject: DDNS to my own DDNS Server Reply with quote
Is it possible to configure DDNS to use a specific IP address rather than a domain name? I have several locations with dynamic IPs and one with a static. It would be much easier to connect to the static IP to access machines at the dynamic locations as I'll be the only one using it.
Sponsor
white8
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm wanting to be able to connect to various computers at the dynamic IP locations. I won't be running servers with domain names at any of the locations. Ideally I would like:

Static IP:4500 -> dynamic IP:4500 (location 1)
Static IP:4501 -> dynamic IP:4501 (location 1)

Static IP:4600 -> dynamic IP:4600 (location 2)
Static IP:4601 -> dynamic IP:4601 (location 2)

Static IP:4700 -> dynamic IP:4700 (location 3)
Static IP:4701 -> dynamic IP:4701 (location 3)

This will allow me to control home automation at home, VNC into computers at my business locations, and connect to security camera servers when I need to. I've had the static IP for so long the number is nearly permanently burned into my head.
millercb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
One of the DD-WRT gurus may be able to provide you better information, but I will weigh in here to see if I can help. That is not generally the way IP addressing is designed to work, and you aren't really supposed to go to multiple computers (in different locations) from the same IP address. That being said, you might be able to accomplish this with some iptables rules, assuming you have a DD-WRT router at the location of your static IP. I am far from and expert on iptables, and I am not sure of the actual commands, but you should be able to intercept any requests coming in to those particular ports and redirect them to another IP address. The only issue with that being you can't (to my knowledge) use domain names in iptables, just IP addresses. So if your dynamic IPs change, you would have to change your iptables rules to reflect the change.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: