Dlink dir-615 issue installing DD-WRT firmware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
rremando
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Give me a link. I need to know exactly which ones.
You need the factory-to-ddwrt for the first time.

seems the database resets to blank when I copy the link of the url. Here's a direct link to the download that I used

https://dd-wrt.com/routerdb/de/download/D-Link/DIR-615/E3/dir615e3-factory-to-ddwrt-firmware.bin/4703
Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
That’s what I thought. It’s almost 7mb.
Don’t use the router database. It’s often wrong.
The firmware can be found here ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
rremando wrote:
Malachi wrote:
Which dd-wrt firmware are you trying to use?

Set your Ethernet card to 192.168.0.9, 255.255.255.0, 192.168.0.1

okay I will try that out. Thanks for helping, I appreciate it.

You may be flashing a file that is too big. Your routers flash is only 4mb. That’s why I’ve asked which file you are trying to flash.

that makes sense cause the file is over 6mb..crap
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I posted a file on the previous page. Try it.
Then you can use the latest webflash.bin if you want. It’s small enough.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
That’s what I thought. It’s almost 7mb.
Don’t use the router database. It’s often wrong.
The firmware can be found here ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/

Thanks so much. It appears to be working now. I grabbed a file from an earlier date and the size fit!
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can upgrade to the June 29th file if you want. ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2018/06-29-2018-r36247/dlink-dir615e3/dir615e3-firmware.bin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
You can upgrade to the June 29th file if you want. ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2018/06-29-2018-r36247/dlink-dir615e3/dir615e3-firmware.bin

After the factory to upgrade I haven't been able to log back into my router, it won't bring up the page when I type 192.168.0.1 So I have two and a half questions:

1: should I do a 30/30/30 reset?

2: should I leave my ethernet setting at IP: 192.168.0.9
SN: 255.255.255.0

2.5: you mentioned a third set of numbers "192.168.0.1
Did you mean that to be prefered dns server or did you just mean it's my login from the browswer?
rremando
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
seems like it's trying to connect but it just hangs there and eventually times out
rremando
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
now it seems that I have a new problem. After the initial factory upgrade install, I could not connect to my router anymore. I tried 30/30/30 reset twice and that didn't change much. Did I brick my router??
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
did you change your PC static ip to auto DHCP
30/30/30 on this router is bad idea it just goes to recovery
if you want to do a reset just use the small button reset
also do not expect a miracles from this router its only for basic use, some ppl believe its good to VPN and ect.
Do keep in mind 4MB flash size routers have very limited features..

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
rremando
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
did you change your PC static ip to auto DHCP
30/30/30 on this router is bad idea it just goes to recovery
if you want to do a reset just use the small button reset
also do not expect a miracles from this router its only for basic use, some ppl believe its good to VPN and ect.
Do keep in mind 4MB flash size routers have very limited features..

Thanks. Well I don't know what I did, but it worked. I made the ip static, made it automatic, I played around with tftpd and wire shark...all of a sudden it started working. I set up bridge mode, unplugged and then it wouldn't work. A few resets later, it was working again. Tried to update the custom firmware, it failed to update. So now I'm going to try another version for update.

If that doesn't work then I'm going to enjoy smashing it and picking a better router..any suggestions for good older routers that install easy and have good connection speeds?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
After flashing dd-wrt it’s 192.168.1.1.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
well I got it working partially. Custom firmware is working but I cannot update it, I tried several different updates.

I set up bridge mode properly this time...I think. To keep a connection (bridge mode), I have to disconnect and reconnect to the router. For example right now or well after I'm done typing, I will have to disconnect and reconnect to router before I press send. Or another example; if I start a youtube video, watch it part way and click on another video on the right, related videos, my connection will crash. IF I disconnect and reconnect, just the same as above mentioned, I can then watch a different video or reload the page.

Maybe I have a conflict with wireless security settings? I don't have direct access to the main router/modem, it is at my neighbors, in another suite. I guessed that her router uses wpa personal mixed on a b/g mixed network.
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 0:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
That router has a very unstable GUI. I have multiple problems already noted, this has been happening since at least build 33006. So just be really patient and keep trying and eventually you can get through the gui. Sometimes you have to save and/or apply and then go to a different page and even reboot the router for the settings to actually take.

On my standard tests here are some that are definitely broken:

1. Apply settings on multiple pages does not work (for example Setup->Basic Setup, Setup->Network and Security->Firewall)
2. Firmware upgrade button does not work (I have had to use command line to upgrade/downgrade)
3. Factory Defaults (reset) does not work (apparently broken after 33006)
4. Firmware restore button broken (apparently broken after 33006)
5. Switch ports can not communicate with each other (see post https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=312371 ) [have not tested due to wanting isolation]

Others have the exact same problem and have replicated it, so it is not an isolated issue.

If you are trying to update DD-WRT you need to use the a file such as this:
dir615e3-firmware.bin
and do it via command line and do steps like this:

Hopefully that helps you.

I have noticed that lately the connection has frozen up on me on wireless, but that was isolated to one of my laptops and only on wireless, so I think it is the drivers (which are known on that laptop chip to have problems) but none of my other wireless devices have problems. So to fix it, I just disconnect/reconnect to the wireless and everything works fine again.

Maybe it is an issue and you have another instance which can help us track down if it is the router/firmware or the client.
rremando
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wildlion wrote:
That router has a very unstable GUI. I have multiple problems already noted, this has been happening since at least build 33006. So just be really patient and keep trying and eventually you can get through the gui. Sometimes you have to save and/or apply and then go to a different page and even reboot the router for the settings to actually take.

On my standard tests here are some that are definitely broken:

1. Apply settings on multiple pages does not work (for example Setup->Basic Setup, Setup->Network and Security->Firewall)
2. Firmware upgrade button does not work (I have had to use command line to upgrade/downgrade)
3. Factory Defaults (reset) does not work (apparently broken after 33006)
4. Firmware restore button broken (apparently broken after 33006)
5. Switch ports can not communicate with each other (see post https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=312371 ) [have not tested due to wanting isolation]

Others have the exact same problem and have replicated it, so it is not an isolated issue.

If you are trying to update DD-WRT you need to use the a file such as this:
dir615e3-firmware.bin
and do it via command line and do steps like this:

Hopefully that helps you.

I have noticed that lately the connection has frozen up on me on wireless, but that was isolated to one of my laptops and only on wireless, so I think it is the drivers (which are known on that laptop chip to have problems) but none of my other wireless devices have problems. So to fix it, I just disconnect/reconnect to the wireless and everything works fine again.

Maybe it is an issue and you have another instance which can help us track down if it is the router/firmware or the client.

Hi thanks for all the info! Okay I’m not real competent when it comes to command line. I opened cmd and started the first line “telnet to router” and it tells me that “telnet is not a recognized internal or external command, operable program or batch file”

I’m a bit green when it comes to this stuff. Is cmd the wrong program to use?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: