WAN rebooting every 5 minutes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
mama_mia
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 14:50    Post subject: WAN rebooting every 5 minutes Reply with quote
Router/Version: EA6700
Version: DD-WRT v3.0-r36070M kongac
Kernel: Linux 4.4.134 #568 SMP Thu May 31 11:02:32 CEST 2018 armv7l
Mode: Gateway/AP

I've been experiencing a weird issue on my EA6700, there is some kind of WAN restart every 5 minutes.
Here is the Syslog for about 20 minutes.
https://pastebin.com/kcK6HmUS

As you can see, there is a 5 minute loop that stops and re-starts almost every service on the router.
I had a similar problem with a E4200 that was only solved going back to builds from 2016 or early 2017 and I never managed to solve that with newer builds.

May this be related to this: "exiting on receipt of SIGTERM"?
Is there any way to trace what's sending the SIGTERM?

Thank's a lot!
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try disabling everything to do with dnsmasq and reboot and see if it's a dnsmasq issue. I've never been able to get dnsmasq working with default settings past build 35531 (or was it actually 30880?) out of the box.
mama_mia
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Try disabling everything to do with dnsmasq and reboot and see if it's a dnsmasq issue. I've never been able to get dnsmasq working with default settings past build 35531 (or was it actually 30880?) out of the box.

Already tried that.
It happens the same, but with udhcpd, every 5 minutes...

I think this has something to do with the ISP, I tried to put a ddwrt router between the EA6700 and the ISP modem, and it the issue stopped. It only happens when connected directly to the ISP modem...
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
ISP modem is set to bridge mode or is it just a modem only with no router packaged in with it? Which other router did you place in-between to get it working, etc etc etc.?
mama_mia
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
ISP modem is set to bridge mode or is it just a modem only with no router packaged in with it? Which other router did you place in-between to get it working, etc etc etc.?

My ISP supplies a router that let's me to set LAN port4 on bridge mode, that's what I did.
If I connect the EA6700 directly to that port I have that 5 minute issue.
I did put a Linksys WRT54G2 (with DD-WRT) between them, and the problem stops on EA6700 and starts happening on WRT54G2, so its clear that the problem is somewhat related to the ISP router...
mama_mia
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had a similar problem with a E4200 that was only solved going back to builds from 2016 or early 2017 and I never managed to solve that with newer builds.
So this is related to some type of signal sent by the ISP router, but only happens with recent builds, I solved the problem on E4200 flashing an older build, but there is no kong build for EA6700 that is that old... (and I would like to have the firmware up to date)
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would probably reset to defaults and start with basic configs. wireless being the first and only thing to change to test and go from there one thing at a time to see where things start breaking. I'm thinking it may be tied to your use of inadyn / dynamic dns client, because I am not having these issues in r36168.
mama_mia
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
I would probably reset to defaults and start with basic configs. wireless being the first and only thing to change to test and go from there one thing at a time to see where things start breaking. I'm thinking it may be tied to your use of inadyn / dynamic dns client, because I am not having these issues in r36168.

Already did that.
I did a 30/30/30 on the WRT54G2, set up user/password, activated Syslog and left it running. Guess what, the issue is there...
I don't really know what to do, if there was at least some king of extensive log, or a log just for WAN interface.

I'm having this problem for more than a year, first on E4200, now I bought a EA6700 thinking it would solve, but no, it happens the same. I already did everything that I can imagine, but with no luck. Crying or Very sad
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 13:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sounds like something related to your ISP or it's equipment. Because if disabling dnsmasq / properly configuring udhcpd, disabling inadyn, and disabling EVERYTHING but basic services and features didn't fix the issue, there's a big problem. I don't have a dynamic dns account anymore, so I can't test that here, but I am not seeing this issue on my E4200. What is your GTK re-key interval set to on the wireless security tab, and do you have wi-fi disconnect issues as well?
mama_mia
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 13:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Sounds like something related to your ISP or it's equipment. Because if disabling dnsmasq / properly configuring udhcpd, disabling inadyn, and disabling EVERYTHING but basic services and features didn't fix the issue, there's a big problem. I don't have a dynamic dns account anymore, so I can't test that here, but I am not seeing this issue on my E4200. What is your GTK re-key interval set to on the wireless security tab, and do you have wi-fi disconnect issues as well?

No, wifi works well, you almost don't notice the internet drop, I use RDP a lot and I notice that every 5 minutes the image stops for a sec ou two, but the connection doesn't even drops.
I tried to copy some large file over wifi to device connected to a eth and it doesn't stop, it copies everything.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 14:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, I'm coming up with nothing to suggest outside of not using bridge mode on your ISP box and disabling the wifi on it - unless you actually use the wifi AP(s) on it - and running both ISP box and router as gateways and your router as an AP for wifi. Only because I am not entirely familiar running DHCP forwarding / DNS relaying or any other configuration. There has to be something I / we are missing here....
mama_mia
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the wifi turned off on ISP router's, it is only working as a modem.
Yeah,
Looks like my next attempt will be disabling bridge mode, activating DMZ to ddwrt's IP and see if this stops. It's not the optimal solution, but it may solve things.
mama_mia
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just wanna give an update.
I can confirm now that this has something to do with ISP router.
This problem I have happens on my parents house. I brought my old E4200 to my place and here it works fine, the same router with the same build that resets every 5 minutes on their place. I believe if I bring the EA6700 it will work fine here too.
We have the same ISP but I have cable on my place and my parents have optic-fiber, the ISP routers are different, but the web-gui are exactly the same between them.

So, what I wanna ask to the gurus is:
Is there any way to have some kind of extended log on WAN interface that gives me the signals that it receives in order to find what's causing this?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would suggest going page by page on the webui on both ISP routers and see if there is something configured differently, no matter how irrelevant or minor it may seem, if you have not already. I kind of doubt you can do a remote syslog on them, but that's the only other thing I can think of that would help troubleshoot.
mama_mia
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
I would suggest going page by page on the webui on both ISP routers and see if there is something configured differently, no matter how irrelevant or minor it may seem, if you have not already. I kind of doubt you can do a remote syslog on them, but that's the only other thing I can think of that would help troubleshoot.

I will be there next friday and I'll try with wireshark, to see if I can get what's causing those resets.
I just need to learn how to use it, it shouldn't be that hard...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: