New build: r36247

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
quiksilver15
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 14:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
dwnl wrote:
quiksilver15 wrote:

Thinking of returning my WRT3200acm and getting the WRT32x. Does the WRT32x have the same issues as the WRT3200acm such as wifi connectivity issues with apple devices and such? I see where some say to get the netgear 7800 but I must be a sucker for nostalgia as the design is better in my opinion than the netgear unit.

There is no point returning WRT3200ACM and getting WRT32X since that is in essence the same router - the exact same hardware in both. You can cross-flash WRT32x firmware on WRT3200ACM if you want to as well. I did that for testing.

quiksilver15 wrote:
What kind of wireless uptime do you see? I tried the newest and those mentioned. While the older firmware dont seem to "hang" like the new ones. I do notice that the wireless uptime never go over an hour. Its like they loose connection but quickly rejoin later.

Now that you've mentioned it, up-time for Android phone is never above an hour. But I'm not sure if it's an issue - the log seems to indicate that the phone had been disconnected due to inactivity, probably because it's in one of the deep-sleep states and transmits no data at all, so that causes it. It seems to reconnect immediately.

Relevant log entries:

Jul 5 07:09:23 DD-WRT daemon.info hostapd: ath0: STA XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX IEEE 802.11: disassociated due to inactivity
Jul 5 07:09:24 DD-WRT daemon.info hostapd: ath0: STA XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX IEEE 802.11: deauthenticated due to inactivity (timer DEAUTH/REMOVE)
Jul 5 07:09:31 DD-WRT daemon.info hostapd: ath0: STA XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX MLME: auth request, signal 0 (Accepted)
Jul 5 07:09:31 DD-WRT daemon.info hostapd: ath0: STA XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX MLME: assoc request, signal 0 (Accepted)
Jul 5 07:09:31 DD-WRT daemon.info hostapd: ath0: STA XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX IEEE 802.11: associated (aid 1)
Jul 5 07:09:31 DD-WRT daemon.info hostapd: ath0: STA XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX RADIUS: starting accounting session A076C1A4965B95E9
Jul 5 07:09:31 DD-WRT daemon.info hostapd: ath0: STA XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX WPA: pairwise key handshake completed (RSN)
Jul 5 07:09:33 DD-WRT daemon.info hostapd: ath0: STA XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX IEEE 802.11: authenticated

EDIT:
I tested r36247 and I got multiple disconnects for Android devices within the first hour. Looking at the log posted above seems to indicate that pervious version (from May 13th) might have disconnected phones as well but with that older version phone would immediately reconnect whereas with more recent ones it will fail to reconnect automatically (fails authentication or similar error in syslog) and wifi will have to be manually disabled and re-enabled.
This is similar if not identical to this issue: https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/issues/209

How hard is it to cross flash? Is it just downloading the WRT32x firmware and flashing onto the WRT3200acm? I much rather have DDWRT on the unit but for the most part the stock firmware works for me since I need the QOS to be better due to the kids streaming and gaming. It looks like the WRT32x stock has way better QOS than the WRT3200acm stock.

AS for the disconnects I would rather have them stay up longer than an hour. I don't mind it for the mobile devices IE phones and such, but with the wireless cameras I have I would feel better if they weren't disconnected so much.

Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H running
DD-WRT v3.0-r36168 std (06/20/18
Sponsor
spuriousoffspring
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 15:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
quiksilver15 wrote:
How hard is it to cross flash? Is it just downloading the WRT32x firmware and flashing onto the WRT3200acm? I much rather have DDWRT on the unit but for the most part the stock firmware works for me since I need the QOS to be better due to the kids streaming and gaming. It looks like the WRT32x stock has way better QOS than the WRT3200acm stock.

AS for the disconnects I would rather have them stay up longer than an hour. I don't mind it for the mobile devices IE phones and such, but with the wireless cameras I have I would feel better if they weren't disconnected so much.

To me installing the Linksys Venom firmware on a WRT3200ACM seems like going backwards. The biggest (some might say only) advantage of the WRT series routers is that they run open-source firmware. However, if you're looking for a easy to manage QoS router the WRT32X (or at least the Venom firmware) is perfect.

The WRT32X and the WRT3200ACM are identical as far as hardware. They both have the same FCC ID. The differences lie in the image format. The WRT32X is built on the OpenWrt platform. In fact, the stock Venom firmware has SSH enabled by default and when you open an SSH terminal - you get the OpenWrt banner.

The WRT32X stock Venom firmware is ridiculously easy to navigate. For me and many others - this was the problem as it lacks the control and advanced features of other routers in it's class.
The QoS prioritization is very easy to use. There's a Devices section in the Venom GUI with a Prioritize radio button next to each device on your network. Simple.

I also like the OpenVPN Client in the stock Venom firmware. For those looking for extra security & privacy, but don't want to fool with open-source firmware - it's perfect.

OpenWrt / LEDE 18.06 builds run extremely well on the WRT32X and DD-WRT is catching up fast.

WRT32X DD-WRT Installation Procedure
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=315569

IPVanish OpenVPN Client Setup TUTORIAL
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=308565

FIRMWARE: OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r8217-2cc821e / LuCI Master (git-18.276.41146-280dd33)
MODEM: ARRIS SURFBoard SB8200
ROUTER: Linksys WRT32X
USB NAS: Western Digital BLACK 1 TB Hardrive + Startech USB 3.0 External SATA III Enclosure
Skoda Zek
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have 24 devices on my network, 3 of which are apple devices (a first and fourth generation ipad and a 6th generation iphone).

There has been no connectivity issues with the Apple devices for me or any other devices for that matter on this firmware version.

What apple devices are people experiencing issues with?

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Skoda Zek wrote:
I have 24 devices on my network, 3 of which are apple devices (a first and fourth generation ipad and a 6th generation iphone).

There has been no connectivity issues with the Apple devices for me or any other devices for that matter on this firmware version.

Do you use the Wifi Calling feature on yours? I believe that was put in the 6s version of the iphone. I have noticed with the WRT3200acm verison with DDWRT my phones never show they have that ability, but if I put the older buffalo units back, they do. I would assume because they don't have a stable wifi to lock onto but I'm not sure why they do or don't. I have 3 iphones, 2 iphone 6s and one 6s plus along with other varying wifi devices. While the wifi didn't seem to hang and disappear while using the laptop it doesn't show that it has a high uptime under the wireless section. The devices never seemed to go over an hour of uptime.

Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H running
DD-WRT v3.0-r36168 std (06/20/18
spuriousoffspring
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 18:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Skoda Zek wrote:

It's a bonjour issue.
After some time (an hour or so?) my iPad loses wireless connectivity. It won't come back unless I restart or make a change to the wireless, restart the router or restart wifi via iOS Settings.
I haven't seen anything of use in syslog either.
Others have reported issues with AirPrint & Chromecast as well.

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/6319
https://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/6333

FIRMWARE: OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r8217-2cc821e / LuCI Master (git-18.276.41146-280dd33)
USB NAS: Western Digital BLACK 1 TB Hardrive + Startech USB 3.0 External SATA III Enclosure
dwnl
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
quiksilver15 wrote:

This is the proper way to do it: https://forum.lede-project.org/t/linksys-wrt32x-openwrt-based-firmware-wrt3200acm-crossflash/6730/5

It requires flashing via serial cable I'm afraid.
I also had some issues with getting back to stock firmware - not getting back itself but the fact that it would not boot automatically and I had to manually issue a command via console for the router to boot from NAND, but that might have been my mistake that I eventually fixed.

Either way - WRT32X firmware isn't bad at all. I would say it's better than stock WRT3200ACM but obviously not nearly as good or nice to use as DD-WRT. Good thing is that you have an option to use either OpenWRT, DD-WRT, stock WRT3200ACM or stock WRT32X firmware. One has to meet your demands.
savagepagan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
mosbash wrote:
Hello,

The 120mm USB fan arrived today and has been installed on my WRT32X and is running perfectly. Albeit it can be heard running in a silent room on medium speed. But that's a moo point considering it's done what it was intended for. My CPU was running HOT at 85C and within 15min the temperature dropped to 65C and that is on medium speed only! So overall very pleased with this purchase.

Next step is trying out your suggestion Spuriousoffspring, hopefully it'll iron out some of these odd bugs....

Will keep you posted

Thanks again

Is your fan plugged into your router usb port? I have my 3200acm sitting on my laptop cooler with temps at 61C.
mosbash
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
savagepagan wrote:
mosbash wrote:
Hello,

The 120mm USB fan arrived today and has been installed on my WRT32X and is running perfectly. Albeit it can be heard running in a silent room on medium speed. But that's a moo point considering it's done what it was intended for. My CPU was running HOT at 85C and within 15min the temperature dropped to 65C and that is on medium speed only! So overall very pleased with this purchase.

Next step is trying out your suggestion Spuriousoffspring, hopefully it'll iron out some of these odd bugs....

Will keep you posted

Thanks again

Is your fan plugged into your router usb port? I have my 3200acm sitting on my laptop cooler with temps at 61C.

savagepagan wrote:
mosbash wrote:
Hello,

Will keep you posted

Thanks again

Yes its currently plugged into the spare USB (2.0/esata) port of the WRT32X (My NAS is attached to the USB3 port). The fan sits comfortably on top, running at medium speed (high is noticeably loud tbh). Despite it remaining within an enclosed wooden cabinet during a heatwave (~30C) it manages to hover around 61C. But when i stress it out by performing really heavy downloads over 100mbps (with VPN 256CBC encryption) or even transferring hefty files to my NAS HD (42GB in total) it never crept above 65C. The other temp monitors for WL0 and WL1 have dropped to mid 30's temp-wise (previously mid 50's). Although, WiFi is off on this router as i have devolo 1200+ LAN powerlines throughout my house for this. Also helps me avoid all of the WiFi bugs plaguing others in the linksys lines.

The router has been running for over 24hours and has been running absolutely perfect.

Current ROUTER: Linksys WRT32X
Previous ROUTER (Not in Use but might use in repeater mode): RT-AC66U
Setup: Virgin Hub 3.0 (modem mode)--> WRT32X (gateway mode) running DD-WRT ---> LAN Port 1 to Devolo powerplugs throughout house.
Average devices running ~13
mosbash
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
spuriousoffspring wrote:
That's great news! I missed your question about DNSCrypt and OpenVPN Client, but yes - DNSCrypt breaks OpenVPN in DD-WRT. I read somewhere about a 'work-around', but I can't remember where or exactly what it was. Sorry!

For Netflix PBR see this Thread:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=291005

Thanks again. Hopefully BrainSlayer will have a fix in the near future.
I had a look at the Netflix PBR and after to reading there is no convincing method that works as Netflix's IP ranges increase and their means of detection improves etc...

I just hope Netflix apply a little common sense as the vast majority just want to protect VPN for security and not bypass a locked geolocation! I can't understand why they don't allow VPN users with a VPN IP address in the same region as their registered address (using their card bill address or by verifying your address when you first register) to be allowed through?!? e.g. A London/UK based registered netflix user with a UK/London VPN address should be given access but the same user with a USA or other IP address blocked.

Is there any way to incorporate a 'toggle' VPN switch for static IP's/MAC addresses?....
(As it would allow the rest of my network to be secure)

Regards,

Current ROUTER: Linksys WRT32X
Previous ROUTER (Not in Use but might use in repeater mode): RT-AC66U
Setup: Virgin Hub 3.0 (modem mode)--> WRT32X (gateway mode) running DD-WRT ---> LAN Port 1 to Devolo powerplugs throughout house.
Average devices running ~13
spuriousoffspring
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
By 'VPN toggle switch' if you are referring to a way to allow certain devices to use the VPN and others to bypass then yes, there is Policy Based Routing.

Very easy to configure & use and there is plenty of info on this Forum about it as it is a very popular feature.

If you do end up using Policy Based Routing just be sure to disable SFE (Shortcut Forwarding Engine) in Setup - Basic Setup.

ericb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 15:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
ericb wrote:
Installed on 1x WRT1200ACV2, 1x WRT1900ACSV2, 3x WRT3200ACM, and 1x Asus RT-N66U.

All running with no issues. No drops noted yet.

Update: I have two devices with Panda PAU 05 USB wireless devices, both will no longer reliably connect to the WRT's with this build, but will connect without a problem to the Asus N66.

I am not having any issues with my Droids dropping or my wireless HP printer that would not connect with the previous build.

This is the first time the Panda USB devices have had an issue.
Skoda Zek
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
spuriousoffspring wrote:

If you do end up using Policy Based Routing just be sure to disable SFE (Shortcut Forwarding Engine) in Setup - Basic Setup.

Let me emphasize this as for weeks I was frustrated as hell because I could not get PBR to work. I went as far as buying different routers to try etc.

The whole time all I had to do was disable SFE.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
mosbash wrote:
savagepagan wrote:
mosbash wrote:
Hello,

Will keep you posted

Thanks again

savagepagan wrote:
mosbash wrote:
Hello,

Will keep you posted

Thanks again

Yes its currently plugged into the spare USB (2.0/esata) port of the WRT32X (My NAS is attached to the USB3 port). The fan sits comfortably on top, running at medium speed (high is noticeably loud tbh). Despite it remaining within an enclosed wooden cabinet during a heatwave (~30C) it manages to hover around 61C. But when i stress it out by performing really heavy downloads over 100mbps (with VPN 256CBC encryption) or even transferring hefty files to my NAS HD (42GB in total) it never crept above 65C. The other temp monitors for WL0 and WL1 have dropped to mid 30's temp-wise (previously mid 50's). Although, WiFi is off on this router as i have devolo 1200+ LAN powerlines throughout my house for this. Also helps me avoid all of the WiFi bugs plaguing others in the linksys lines.

The router has been running for over 24hours and has been running absolutely perfect.

Can you post a pic of the router with the fan running on it? I ordered a 92mm usb fan and placed it on top. The 120mm is a tad too large. I'm using a old cell phone charger to power it instead of the routers usb port.
spuriousoffspring
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here's my WRT32X with (one) 120mm fan beneath pushing air up and (two) 80mm fans on top pulling air up. I also have another two more 120mm fans covering my Modem and USB NAS (one 120mm each).

They all get power from an AC Infinity USB Fan Controller:
https://www.acinfinity.com/cabinet-fan-systems/controller-2-intelligent-thermal-fan-controller-single-zone/

savagepagan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
spuriousoffspring wrote:
Here's my WRT32X with (one) 120mm fan beneath pushing air up and (two) 80mm fans on top pulling air up. I also have another two more 120mm fans covering my Modem and USB NAS (one 120mm each).

They all get power from an AC Infinity USB Fan Controller:
https://www.acinfinity.com/cabinet-fan-systems/controller-2-intelligent-thermal-fan-controller-single-zone/

Nice. Here's mine. I used masking tape to create a seal between the fan and the router to increase the pull. I need to trim the excess tape to look less sloppy. My room is 25C to 26C now and this setup keeps my router cpu around 57C. I used a little mounting tape to adhere the fan to the router. It spins at 1,500rpm. I need controller to lower the fan speed to 1,000rpm. 1,500 is overkill.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 7
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: