Choosing latest or recommended build? [solved]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
mmfood
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 14:00    Post subject: Choosing latest or recommended build? [solved] Reply with quote
Hi, I wish to install dd-wrt on my Asus RT-AC68U (currently on stock firmware) and have read through the wiki, the peacock announcement, the device wiki (which isn't much help atm). I also found this: https://alphaev7.com/2016/03/install-dd-wrt-asus-rt-ac68u-or-supported-routers/.

The latter seems like a good source for the installation procedure. But I am wondering about what build version to use.

In the router dabatase I found v24 PreSP2 Build 23940. But apparantly this can't be trusted. So I also found 03-05-2018-r35244 in the asus-rt-ac68u folder at ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/.

So should I use the latest one or the one recommended in the router database?

Thank you in advance for help in this issue!

Last edited by mmfood on Sun Mar 18, 2018 15:16; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
mmfood
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
I went for it and tried the newest version. It worked fine. I was first served the CFE miniWeb server. Clicked reboot and enabled ssh to log in and erase nvram. Seems to work fine now.

Thought I'd add some info to the device wiki about how to do the initial flash. But I can't seem to create an account. Are new registrations closed?
Ugzilla
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 19:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been running a kong build for about 4 years now on my ac68u. I decided I may want to update, I'm hoping that will mitigate any security vulnerabilities which may have been discovered in the past few years. (Sidenote - I hope there's a security thread, and it'd be good to have more clarity/transparency about security risks and mitigations. Perhaps that is available and I'm merely unaware).

so thank you for sharing your experience with the version above. I would love to hear any updates or from anyone else who recently installed a relatively new build on the ASUS AC-68U. I'll share my experience with whichever build I choose. I definitely am disappointed in the lack of clarity and out of date info in the wiki. That being said, I don't have much free time to contribute heavily, so I recognize I'm not helping, just complaining =) Appreciate the work of everyone who makes great firmware, thank you for your effort!
Ugzilla
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Success on 5 July 2018 with the latest stable build available. More detail:

1. I have an ASUS RT-AC68U B1, running ARM (Broadcom BCM4709).
2. I was running a kongac build from Sep 2015 or so, I believe. I should've captured the details, but I didn't. Sorry. Suffice it to say it was old.
3. I chose the bin file titled: "dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_STD.bin" with a timestamp of 2018-02-19 23:38 , size of 22M. Firmware repository found here (for anyone who's not familiar):
http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/
4. I initiated the firmware upgrade from my existing DD-WRT admin web interface. I did not reset factory settings, I didn't do a 30-30-30 reset, all of the things I should've done; I did none of them. I think it is recommended to do those things, so your mileage may vary.
5. The firmware update finished in about 60 seconds, and the auto-reboot initiatied.
6. The following CFE miniWebServer screen came up, and I selected "Reboot." I did not restore NVRAM settings, I did not have to initiate any SSH connections, none of that. Just another reboot, and my config came back up as did full connectivity. All done, for now, and working as expected so far (all 60 seconds it's been running =) .
7. I am now running an ASUS RT-AC68U B1 on DD-WRT v3.0-r35030M kongac (02/19/1Cool

Best of luck to everyone else out there.

ASUStek_CFEminiWeb_Server.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  13.91 KB
 Viewed:  734 Time(s)

ASUStek_CFEminiWeb_Server.png

Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is a Broadcom Unit. Please post in the Broadcom Forum.

Also see the Stickies in the Broadcom Forum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: