NIghthawk R8000 Bricked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
bizzs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 23:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you so much for all your effort Malachi.. Anyone else have ideas with this problem?

Thanks
bizzs
Sponsor
bizzs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anyone have a chance to read these posts and offer any suggestions? I am on the crap list with the wife and she is nagging the crap out of me. Any help would be appreciated. Rolling Eyes

Thanks
bizzs
apple2k
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 15:05    Post subject: Do you have an update or get this resolve ? Reply with quote
Any updates, I'm in a very similar situation.. almost looks like the erase nvram messed up this router.. same rapid rapid flashing amber light, and 'waiting for WPS button message.. I've unbricked / flashed a R8500 with this usb-ttl using putty serial connection.. so I'm familiar with the process / usb-ttl.

Thanks
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe try NMRPFLASH for netgear:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1139019#1139019

Before asking for help - Read the forum guidelines AND Upgrade DD-WRT!
Adblock by eibgrad (1.1M blocked) + Blocklist Collection

apple2k
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 0:31    Post subject: A few more details on 'bricked' R8000 Reply with quote
Bushant.. thanks for the reply..
A little history.. friend's R8000 had koolshare firmware previously.. He could not access the lan ports on the R8000, and asked for help.. since was was succesfully able to revived a R8500 recently. Searching the net, I found the wifi radios were still working and was able to connect via wifi on my phone. Found out router ip was set to 192.168.50.1. Seems like merlin and koolshare (fork of merlin) router IP addy defaults to 192.168.50.1. Changed PC IP addy to 192.168.50.2 and was able to connect via lan port.

Friend wanted to switch over to asus-merlin so from koolshare UI, I selected the associated merlin.trx file.. and I flashed it.. I believed the flash completed. I try to access router using the 192.168.50.1 and saw a 'mini merlin interface' 2 options: select firmware file to flash or 'erase nvram'. I selected erase nvram for a clean start.. broswer window stop responding.. I think router rebooted.. that's when router power lights started up in amber with quick blink. Tried multiple hardware reboots.. didn't work.. same amber power light blinking quickly.

Disassembled r8000 and hooked up the usb-ttl to serial headers and make associated parms on putty serial hoping to flash via serial. Hoping to power on router & CtrlC to get the CFE prompt to start up tftpd.. but it never got that far..

I connect PC to router via LAN port ..Putty serial shows CFE window.. see it 'decompressing' a few more lines and then it stops with the last line displays "Waiting for wps button release". Press wps button on system board... no change.

Never got a chance to break CFE boot to obtain the CFE prompt.. no response in that Putty serial window.. can only kill that putty session and start over.. and get stuck in same place.

That's where I am. Cannot ping 192.168.50.1 or 192.168.1.1
so I don't know what the router ip addy is at this point.

If there's a way to get to boot ANY firmware.. I can go back to an older Netgear firmware.. and start over again.. but right now.. no luck..

CFE prompt / tftpd default to router at 192.168.1.1?

Open for any input to flash a working firmware file.. I don't think NMRPFLASH will work since I can't even ping the router addy since I don't have an idea what it may be.
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: