Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:14 Post subject: dir-890L wont boot
Hi, no matter what build I try within Dlink webUI or recovery mode UI, all of them says, firmware successfully completed, but router wont boot, power and WAN light stay solid red forever, only way I can make him boot again if I flash stock Dlink firmware. this is the last build I tried, File:factory-to-ddwrt.bin
Builds 32597, 32753, and 32868 are generally regarded as 'do not use', though the latter was reported to work in the 33006 build thread after 33006 failed on an 890L. Read the Peacock announcement and "New Build" threads before you continue. As for the files, the 'factory' file is for flashing from OEM firmware, while the webflash is for flashing from DD-WRT. _________________ #NAT/SFE/CTF: limited speed w/ DD#Repeater issues#DD-WRT info: FAQ, Builds, Types, Modes, Changes, Demo#
x64 OPNsense 19.7.9|FT2019.4: EA6900v1.1@1GHz, F7D8302|DD 41813: WNDR4500v2, WNDR4000@533, R6300v1,
E2500, E1500@353, WRT54*@250: GLv1.1 nsg, GSv6 µ, RT-N66U@663|OpenWRT: WNDR3700v4 12jan20 ath79 k4.19
I reverted back to the stock D-Link firmware because I was losing about half my 1GB bandwidth on a hard-wired PC with DD-WRT. Read that the issue had been resolved, so I reinstalled the latest build, which at the time was 08-03-2017-r33006.
Even though the firmware load completed without any problems, the router would not boot, so I had to take it back to stock D-Link formware again, just to recover.
In looking at the builds, I noticed that the previous DD-WRT build (07-27-2017-r32868) for the 890/L was 30.21MB, while the size of the 08-03-2017-r33006 build was smaller, at 26.17MB.
I then loaded 07-27-2017-r32868, and all ran well.
I'm guessing something critical may have inadvertently gotten left out of 08-03-2017-r33006. It also appears that the subsequent builds are all smaller than 07-27-2017-r32868, so I've stayed away from them. Have seen other posts warning folks not use some of the various August-released builds, so it would indeed appear something has gotten fouled up somewhere.
Just wanted to add to the DIR-890L info that I installed r33555 the other day and it's been running fine so far. The _only_ issue I came across was that my Chromecast (v2) for some reason couldn't connect to my WiFi when I was using three separate networks (NA-Mixed, AC/N-Mixed and AC-Only). It none of them worked(!) Lots of other devices worked thou. When testing with a simple NG-Mixed 2.4GHz only mode everything worked fine. Haven't had time to investigate further. Might be user error..
My hw rev was an A1 btw, and here's some info:
Router Model: Dlink-DIR890L
Firmware Version: DD-WRT v3.0-r33555 std (10/20/17)
Kernel Version: Linux 4.4.93 #2153 SMP Fri Oct 20 06:46:54 CEST 2017 armv7l
CPU temp is between 60-72 Celsius depending on load.
p.s. a HUGE thanks to all devs who's involved in dd-wrt! You're doing a fantastic job! Cheers,
Since I had issues with r33006, I’ve been standing pat with 07-27-2017-r32868, and saw some other posts from folks who ran into issues with later builds.
As mentioned in my previous post, All the subsequent releases were smaller in size. I took this to mean something had gotten fouled up in the newer 890/L files, so I’m glad you had some success. Loading and reloading is so time consuming, but I may give it another go when everyone is away and not relying on Wi-Fi.
If you don’t mind, let us know what you find out regarding your Wi-Fi issue.
I have simply been waiting to see if more people have gotten a newer version working without issues. I have been using DD-WRT v3.0-r30016M std (06/24/16) for a long time now, and would really like to upgrade to fix the some of the new attacks on WPA etc... This version is pretty stable (probably need to reboot once a month or so), and most features work (at least that I use). But as said, it is extremely out of date, and most definitely has vulnerabilities.
I got myself in a situation where I had to reload stock DLink firmware and couldn’t get dd-wrt to load at all.
One of the responses to my post suggested taking it back to a particular 2015 version, which worked. From there, I was able to upgrade to r35531, which was supposedly an all around working, and more current version (March, 2018).