Can NO Longer Install DD-WRT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
DBB
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 13:19    Post subject: Can NO Longer Install DD-WRT Reply with quote
I’ve been running 07-27-2017-r32868 on my DIR-890L since last summer, without too many issues, but thought it might be a good time to upgrade.

I first attempted to upgrade to the latest 2018 build using the normal GUI upgrade process. Even though it appeared to load properly and network functionality seemed to be fine, I had to power cycle the router to router in order to get back to the GUI, only to discover I was still running 07-27-2017-r32868. I tried this several times, with various builds and browsers with the same results.

Then I tried to upgrade via SSH and had the same experience. I attempted this many times. The last several attempts would result in Putty crashing when executing the write command. Time to start from scratch...

I’ve returned the router back to stock DLink firmware. The factory-to-ddwrt.bin file will load successfully (it says), but then I can never get to the DD-WRT GUI. I always have to recover back to stock, where the router seems to operate perfectly. Again, I’ve tried several versions of dd-wrt, and have even reset to factory defaults, all in vain.

What could be going on? I’ve never had this much trouble installing the firmware.
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 16:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
jwh7 wrote:
Builds 32597, 32753, and 32868 are generally regarded as 'do not use', though the latter was reported to work in the 33006 build thread after 33006 failed on an 890L. Read the Peacock announcement and "New Build" threads before you continue. Smile As for the files, the 'factory' file is for flashing from OEM firmware, while the webflash is for flashing from DD-WRT.

That being said, did you try going back to 32868 factory-to-ddwrt?

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#D-Link

For your router, this^ lists build 26332 as starting point.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=288225

That^ lists build 28548

Krack fix recommendation is to run 33772 (or newer).

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/KRACK_Vulnerability_and_DD-WRT

I was trying to find a more current build that worked on your specific router than 33772, but coming up short. 35531 seems to be a good build across the board. Might try those and maybe 34311, 35244 and see where you come up.

EDIT: I just found this ticket that might be helpful to you as well:

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/6234
DBB
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 17:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks, KP69.

Yes, I even tried going back to the version I had been running. I saw a post from another 890L user who had success with one of the earlier 2018 builds, but neither of these worked for me.

I've read about recovery partitions, etc. and was afraid I may have stepped on something there, but I'm able to at least return to DLink stock firmware without fail.

I may go back and review Peacock as it's been a long time since I originally read through it. If I recall though, it was pretty heavy on the 30/30/30 process, which I understand is no longer necessary for many newer routers, and in one post I saw, could even create problems.

I will look into the links you've provided. Thank you very much for sending them along. Will keep you posted on what I find.
Brimmy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you telnet into the router and ran the erase nvram reboot command?
DBB
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have not used Telnet on this router for anything other than attempting to install DD-WRT. Would the factory reset not have the same effect?

Is the syntax for that: nvram erase && reboot

Is there a reference for other handy cli commands that might be useful?
Brimmy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I normally test every build that BS puts out and for some builds the factory reset and even the 30/30/30 did not work properly for a few builds, r34929 was the most recent that cause some sort of blockage in my 3 routers and only when i used telnet and erased the nvram did it work properly again.

There are 2 ways to erase nvram in telnet and they both clear everything, i will try to express them as i do it in the administrator lvl cmd. there is a space between erase and nvram then you hit enter to run the command then after that finishes you type reboot to reboot the router, so it will look like this...
erase nvram (now you hit enter and it does its thing)
reboot (hit enter and the router reboots)

Now i have recently been doing this from the WebGUI with the same end result. In the WebGUI there are two different ways to get this done with two different end results, i'll add screenshots of how that looks but explain what happens to me.
First screen when you click on Run Commands at the bottom of the Commands page, it clears the nvram in a way that erases CPU overclocks and manual IP configs and the second way leaves things like CPU overclocks and manual IP configs.

I got help from just reading the many posts in the forums and from PMs i sent to others on the forum. Hope this helps and is clear for you to understand.
DBB
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 23:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the detail.

Recall, however, that I can only get the stock DLink firmware on the router. Hope I'm wrong, but to my knowledge, it doesn't accommodate Telnet/SSH connections, and there certainly is nothing in their GUI to allow for this that I can find.
Brimmy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
To telnet you have to enable it in Windows, connect your PC to the WAN prot of your router and then use admin lvl CMD to get into the router once the DDWRT firmware is on the router, which is what you described in your case, i am not sure about default OEM/Vendor firmware though.

In my routers there are actual serial pins that i used https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QT7LQ88/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 to connect the router to my PC and then used PuttY to get into the router to telent, this way is more advanced, this was the first time coming from OEM firmware to DDWRT.

One thing i forgot to tell you is that when ever you do get to telnet into your router you will need the name which is root and password which is admin.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 0:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
You aren’t understanding what he has said more than once. He can not get dd-wrt loaded unto the router. So he can’t telnet to it not can he erase the nvram from the command page.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 0:59    Post subject: Re: Can NO Longer Install DD-WRT Reply with quote
DBB wrote:
I’ve been running 07-27-2017-r32868 on my DIR-890L since last summer,

I read this and in conjunction with all the rest of information he posted and thought it to mean that he has and older ddwrt firmware since last summer on the router now and he is having some issue with loading/flashing other newer firmware to the router, how about you?.....which is why i asked if he tried to telnet into the router and see if he can clear erase nvram then try to flash to a newer firmware.

The only way he will know for sure if he can telnet is to try it, which he has stated that he has not.

The reason why i asked this and gave this as a possible solution is due to the fact that there are some builds in the past that i had this very same issue and it was not until i erased the nvram did i get to flash to newer firmware.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
His top post clearly says that he is on stock firmware and can no longer get dd-wrt on it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Those were the messages i got to and thought something was wrong.

He is free to disregard my suggestion.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
He has no choice to disregard them as he isn’t on dd-wrt, and can’t get it flashed, to follow your steps.
He could try to flash dd-wrt through the cfe.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#D-Link

For your router, this^ lists build 26332 as starting point.

I reset and loaded r26332 from the link you provided. This worked. Am tucking it away for future reference.

kernel-panic69 wrote:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=288225

That^ lists build 28548

Build r28548 no longer seems to be in the list of available beta downloads...

kernel-panic69 wrote:
Krack fix recommendation is to run 33772 (or newer).

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/KRACK_Vulnerability_and_DD-WRT

I was trying to find a more current build that worked on your specific router than 33772, but coming up short. 35531 seems to be a good build across the board. Might try those and maybe 34311, 35244 and see where you come up.

I went with r35531. If I'm reading this correctly, r35531 addresses KRACK, so I'm going to stand pat with r35531 for the moment, get everything reconfigured for my network, and call it a day.

When is it generally safe to upgrade to a newer beta release? I always assume these things are tested, but I think I've learned my lesson.

Really appreciate your help with this!

Should I go ahead and erase NVRAM as Brimmy suggested? It seems like maybe a good idea, because with all the resets and reloads, it still maintained my custom IP settings from my old dd-wrt install that I was trying to upgrade from. The one thing I don't want to do, though, is foul up the ability to run the DLink emergency restore. Something tells me I'll be needing it again...

Thanks, again!
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Telnet into it and issue an nvram erase and then reboot.

Navigation

Jump to: