Linksys EA6400

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Lennard
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
I agree with Malachi, but on the other hand you can always buy a new router when for some reason updating to DD-WRT on this router fails.

The reason I bought this router is that it has pretty decent specs and I could buy a used one for only few euros. And I didn't know it took a 5 page manual to install DD-WRT, but the manual (in the links provided) is very clear about the steps to take. Follow it carefully. So, if you have the time why not just try it?

Good luck.
Sponsor
JCDS
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was on 1.1.40.184085 and could only revert back to 1.1.40.176337

but i got lucky with the timing of reseting and rebooting and trying to push the firmware with the linksys tftp tool.

took nearly all night, thought i would end up bricking it (with linksys fw they aren't far from bricks anyways) but it paid off so far.

http://gravitynet.co.nf/index.php/ea6400/installation-guide

that guide is what got me through though there is no mention of using tftp to flash, his reset procedure was spot on. I would have given up otherwise. hell i pretty much did, i thought i heard tftping fw to these bricks them

that aside, anyone have a could suggstion which build to flash to it now?
JCDS
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
I joined the forum just to let you know it is possible to flash ddwrt succesfully to a ea6400 even if your stuck on digitally signed firmware.

this topic discouraged me greatly untill i finally got it to tftp, up till that point i was gonna sell or trash this thing

the only odd thing is the front power/status light stays off, but thats good, i dont need that black tape anymore.

successfully installed r30949 set cpu to underclock? at 600mhz, hopefully to keep heat down till i can install a fan

now i get to try to set it up as a repeater bridge for NG Mixed (this worked well on a wrt160nV3 i unbricked and flashed yesterday)
Swordphsh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was able to get this working by flashing the hacky small build several times at initial boot via the tftp program. It kept booting back into Linksys firmware until I tried "restore previous firmware" from the webui. It then reboot into dd-wrt.

I'm guessing the tftp flashed the the second slot, but the router kept booting the first.
ronaldo_rc9
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:13    Post subject: Help to install DD-WRT into Linksys EA6400 Reply with quote
Hi all

I need a help to install DD-WRT on a Linksys EA6400.

After read all topics and instructions, I still can't install.

My Lynksys are with 1.1.40.176337 version, that block the update using web GUI as explained on topics (wrong certificate), so I have to use TFTP.

But using TFTP I can't connect to the router, I got the message "access blocked by remote server".

Using tftp command line I got an timeout error.

What I have to do? Am I doing something wrong?

I can't install the small DD-wrt.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ronaldo Luiz
hoot_spoot
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just got one of these from the trash, so I will be messing around with it and post updated instructions or abbreviated instructions when and if I get it working.

Start here:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1009864

Page down about halfway to user 'butterworth' 's post.

I can't look into it until tomorrow at the earliest. Done several routers that required pin-reset, tftp flashing, etc. The tricky part if there is one, is getting the initial flash over to DD-WRT. As you can see from this thread, you used to be able to simply web-flash it, that is: get a dd-wrt image and use the Linksys default firmware update button.

TFTP is typically a way to get around these checks.

From what I've messed with so-far, this router also has two storage locations for the firmware, as a kind of recovery in case one is corrupted. TFTP only writes in one location.

If you are getting the errors you listed, and I haven't, try: pulling the power out (because it has no off switch), starting a:

ping 192.168.1.1 -t

from the cmd line, and waiting until you see the ping response. Then press Start on the tftp application

TFTP app:
admin
path to mini-dd-wrt hacked image

That's the principal. I can't help you further until I've successfully done it.

I found it interesting that if it is running dd-wrt, the power light won't come on. I didn't know that and had it in that state once already, and so I rebooted it, and it came up with the linksys firmware. So I may have already been successful and didn't know it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 19:16    Post subject: Success Reply with quote
SUCCESS!
And it works much better on the 5ghz band than the earlier, older Netgear was running. 28db to host AP vs 15db.
This model (EA6400) has beamforming, etc.

I will look into the DD-WRT wiki for this model and attempt to update it.

For now, so you will see this update, maybe you are subscribed to this topic, etc.. I will quote myself from before and trim my comments.

Useful links, downloads: Start here:

and here
http://gravitynet.co.nf/index.php/ea6400/installation-guide
and here
http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/guide-flash-linksys-ea6300v1-ea6400-ea6500v2-ea6700-ea6900v1-0-1-1-with-tomato.73877/

On the 1st, the DD-WRT forum link, page down about halfway to user 'butterworth' 's post.

I have successfully flashed several different types of routers that required pin-reset (to put it in a mode to receive new firmware), tftp flashing (flashing right after booting the router), etc. The tricky part - if there is one, is getting the initial flash over to DD-WRT. As you can see from this thread, you previously used to be able to simply web-flash the EA6400 directly, that is: get a dd-wrt image and use the Linksys default firmware update function. Disregard that because all newer versions require TFTP flashing (and more, beyond 'just' the initial TFTP flash, as it includes modifying the CFE and flashing the DD-WRT to 2 different locations on the router).

TFTP is typically a way to get around these webflash firmware checks (introduced by Linksys in current versions of the router firmware, what you will likely have).

This router has two (2) storage locations for the firmware, as a kind of recovery in case one is corrupted. TFTP only writes in one location, so it is temporary.

TLDR:
1. Grab all the files from the above guides (while you are online), and Get the router ready
1a. You can upgrade the router to the latest Linksys firmware. It shouldn't matter technically, although I did upgrade it before continuing.
1b. Set your computer's LAN ethernet to 192.168.1.5, subnet of 255.255.255.0, no Gateway and no DNS (in Windows, just type in 192.168.1.5 for the IP and press OK. This is in the Network Properties of the Ethernet Adapter, modifying the TCPv4 settings. Don't fill out any other details).
1c. Connect an ethernet cable directly from your laptop to one of 4x LAN ports on the EA6400 router.
1d. With the router power on already (already booted up in the OEM Linksys firmware), make sure 'ping 192.168.1.1' returns 4x quick pings. If it doesn't, fix this basic problem first (wiring, other issue).
1e. Finally, while running 'ping 192.168.1.1 -t', pull the power cable out of the router, wait a few seconds, power it back up, and observe the ping responses to get familiar with how it is supposed to look while the router starts up.

2. Flash over the DD-WRT temporary image with TFTP.
2a. Open the TFTP(2).exe Windows program.
2b. Put in 192.168.1.1 as the server, and click the '...', and point it to the temporary DD-WRT .bin image. (Here I am using 'linksys_ea6400_ddwrt.bin' from the linksysinfo guide above (3rd link)). Don't specify a password, although one guide above says use 'admin' as the password, just leave it blank.
2c. Power down the router. Get ready with your mouse on the Upload button.
2d. Power up the router. On the fourth flash of the single green power LED on top, press TFTP 'Upload'.
2e. You will see a bar graph fill as the TFTP application uploads the image to the router.
2f. Wait a few minutes.
2g. If the flash was successful, it may still boot into the Linksys OEM Firmware.

2h. If the router boots into Linksys OEM firmware, it's using it's second internal firmware image, the location is stored at 'linux2'. Go to Troubleshooting in the Linksys webadmin, and there is an option to 'restore earlier firmware' (boot internally from the 'linux' image). Use that and it should now boot into DD-WRT (stored at 'linux').

3. Backup your original Linksys OEM CFE and environmental variables.
3a. Go to http://192.168.1.1 (the EA6400 is now running a temporary copy of DD-WRT). Set the default username and password to root/root. The final flash will ask you to set this again, so for now just use root & root as username and password.
Do not power off the router at any point until this guide says to do-so!
3b. Go to http://192.168.1.1/backup/cfe.bin to backup the original CFE,
Just simply go to the link. Your browser will save or ask you where to save the CFE, onto your computer.
3c. Go into the DD-WRT webadmin and enable SSHd in Services.
3d. Use Putty (ssh client) to backup NVRAM variables. (Command is: nvram show >> nvram_dump.txt)
3e. Use WinSCP to SCP into the router and copy the nvram_dump.txt to your local computer

4. Using a modified CFE (see Koolshare CFE) use CFEEdit.exe to change the variables to reflect your router
4a. Open up the Koolshare CFE with CFEEdit.exe
4b. Change settings as detailed in Step 2 here: http://gravitynet.co.nf/index.php/ea6400/installation-guide
(will put the entirety of the steps in the DD-WRT wiki)
4c. Save it, and reopen the CFE, making sure the two values are set (on mine the WPS Password didn't stick, it was 000000's when I saved then reopened the modified Koolshare CFE)
4d. Upload the modified CFE to the router, with WinSCP (copy it to /tmp/root)
4e. Connect with Putty (or use your existing putty session), and write the CFE to the router's memory (Command is: mtd –f write /tmp/root/newcfe.bin /dev/mtd0)

5. Upload and flash the current DD-WRT image.
5a. Currently ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2018/09-21-2018-r37012/linksys-ea6400/linksys-ea6400-webflash.bin
5b. Using WinSCP, upload linksys-ea6400-webflash.bin to /tmp/root on the router.
5c. Rename linksys-ea6400-webflash.bin to simply firmware.bin using either WinSCP or Putty.
5d. Flash it to linux2 (TAKES ABOUT 5 MINUTES!!) with Putty (Command is: mtd -f write firmware.bin linux2)
5e. And flash 'linux' (Also takes about 5 minutes) (Command is: mtd -f write firmware.bin linux)
5f. Erase nvram (instant) (Command is: erase nvram)
5g. Reboot the router.

You should now be in the latest version of DD-WRT.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 22:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Some router had so many bad blocks on nand flash that impossible following your guide line but disassemble the router and flash through usb serial.
hoot_spoot
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 0:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
First I've heard of that from anyone. So I assume it's mostly a small bad batch. Throw it away and get another!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
So then it is real bad blocks in nand flash or just a bad single byte in nand flash and Samsung mfg mask as whole bad block but not bad page. You can check in dmesg, if it over 5 bad blocks in one partition then ddwrt create nand img in brcmnand partition. That why linksys make 2 partitions Fw with only one nvram.
I had tried to take out and test with ext programer . It is a real mystery that some had real bad blocks but some not. After erase 4mb spare ECC partition then no bad blocks. That yield test of read and write come from mfg on bad single byte was mask as whole bad block.
hoot_spoot
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you. Very interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 23:38    Post subject: Re: Success Reply with quote
Thank you so much hoot_spoot , you are so kind with that compressed and straight forward guide!!

It worked perfectly for Linksys EA6400 in 2019

hoot_spoot wrote:
SUCCESS!
And it works much better on the 5ghz band than the earlier, older Netgear was running. 28db to host AP vs 15db.
This model (EA6400) has beamforming, etc.

I will look into the DD-WRT wiki for this model and attempt to update it.

For now, so you will see this update, maybe you are subscribed to this topic, etc.. I will quote myself from before and trim my comments.

Useful links, downloads: Start here:

and here...read more.
cfeedback2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 0:26    Post subject: Re: Linksys EA6400 Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Smoke7 wrote:
Hello, I've never installed dd-WRT on any of my routers so I am new here. However I have the same Linksys EA6400 which getting overheated all the time and dropping the connection. I was readin all the instructions and not sure if the version I have after downgraded which is 1.1.40.176337 will work with dd-WRT. Thank you in advance.

Do yourself a favor and buy a different router.

But then you wouldn't get to do fun projects like this.... Rolling Eyes

IMG_20190627_172132839.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  38.15 KB
 Viewed:  13692 Time(s)

IMG_20190627_172132839.jpg

I use Arch btw

Last edited by cfeedback2 on Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:25; edited 1 time in total
cfeedback2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 0:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
deslatha wrote:
So then it is real bad blocks in nand flash or just a bad single byte in nand flash and Samsung mfg mask as whole bad block but not bad page. You can check in dmesg, if it over 5 bad blocks in one partition then ddwrt create nand img in brcmnand partition. That why linksys make 2 partitions Fw with only one nvram.
I had tried to take out and test with ext programer . It is a real mystery that some had real bad blocks but some not. After erase 4mb spare ECC partition then no bad blocks. That yield test of read and write come from mfg on bad single byte was mask as whole bad block.

You sir, know your stuff. I tip my hat to you. This is still my favorite router, I've used your suggested CFE / overclock settings from the get go (after I mangled it a few times with my own clumsy attempts)... I think if anything, it runs cooler at 1200mhz than it did at stock.

I'm unclear how to decipher these bad block messages, can you elaborate a little more? for example mine says:

Code:
nand: 128 MiB, SLC, erase size: 128 KiB, page size: 2048, OOB size: 64
Spare area=64 eccbytes 56, ecc bytes located at:
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 50 51 52 53
54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63
Available 7 bytes at (off,len):
(1,1) (16,2) (32,2) (48,2) (0,0) (0,0) (0,0) (0,0) (0,0) (0,0) (0,0) (0,0) (0,0) (0,0) (0,0) (0,0) (0,0) (0,0) (0,0) (0,0) (0,0) (
0,0) (0,0) (0,0) (0,0) (0,0) (0,0) (0,0) (0,0) (0,0) (0,0) (0,0)
Scanning device for bad blocks
Bad eraseblock 79 at 0x0000009e0000
Options: NO_SUBPAGE_WRITE,
Creating 1 MTD partitions on "brcmnand"

I use Arch btw

Last edited by cfeedback2 on Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:24; edited 1 time in total
david007co
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 0:43    Post subject: Re: Linksys EA6400 Reply with quote
Smoke7 wrote:
Hello, I've never installed dd-WRT on any of my routers so I am new here. However I have the same Linksys EA6400 which getting overheated all the time and dropping the connection. I was readin all the instructions and not sure if the version I have after downgraded which is 1.1.40.176337 will work with dd-WRT. Thank you in advance.

Yes you will be able to flash dd-wrt. I also had 1.1.40.176337 when I flashed dd-wrt on mine.
You should follow hoot_spots awesome instructions in page 2 of this thread.

hoot_spoot wrote:
SUCCESS!
This model (EA6400) has beamfor...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 4
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: