WRT1200AC so slow on new firmware...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
highpec
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:32    Post subject: WRT1200AC so slow on new firmware... Reply with quote
Hi,

I don't know what's going on... but I haven't updated my WRT1200AC since 10/2016 (v3.0-r30796) and decided to do it tonight.

The "Connecting..." in the browser now takes over a full second to establish a connection. Whereas on the old 2016 firmware, it took maybe, half a second.

Now to some this may seem insignificant... but when you're trying to work and need websites to open quickly... this is bad.

The reason for upgrading is because I'm running a web-scraping server on my network now, and the 2016 firmware is a bad habit of timing out / dying when hit with a large amount of packets / a large download at one time. It also could not read the temps of the processor. This is bad because I leave the server running, and sometimes I'll wake up to a lagged out Internet and the server accomplished nothing overnight.

I was hoping the new firmware would fix these issues, but, it made the "Connecting..." part way, way slower... I had to revert back.

Does anyone know what's going on? Is there some new security option or something that's making everything run slower? Can anyone recommend a stable firmware version that will allow fast connections and have better uptime/monitoring than 2016 (v3.0-r30796)?
Sponsor
highpec
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
No one notices this...? It's really obvious.
bytebandit01
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 23:27    Post subject: Re: WRT1200AC so slow on new firmware... Reply with quote
highpec wrote:
Can anyone recommend a stable firmware version that will allow fast connections and have better uptime/monitoring than 2016 (v3.0-r30796)?

with my WRT1200AC v2, so far the connection has been stable, i recommend this >> Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r36104 std [06/10/18] >> ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2018/06-10-2018-r36104/linksys-wrt1200acv2/

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 13:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
It has nothing to do with the amount of connections. The 1200AC v2 can easily handle 10000+ connections while barely being able to feel the impact.

The problem is with web browsing, even when not scraping at all. The firmware from 2016 is fast and light. Zero problems besides the occasional lag out of the router and I have to reset it. The new firmware seems to be more stable, but much slower at resolving websites.

Flash the firmware from 10-25-2016 and you’ll see what I mean. It’s way faster, but so primitive that it can’t even detect the CPU temps. Something was changed, with the DNS or security that made the new firmware much slower.
bcmalloy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try my bergs firmware firmware instead based on LEDE created just for the WRT1200AC version 1

If dd-wrt had working QOS and a stable release I would have not bothered.

http://bergsfirmware.000webhostapp.com/

Enjoy
Berg
highpec
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
bcmalloy wrote:
Try my bergs firmware firmware instead based on LEDE created just for the WRT1200AC version 1

If dd-wrt had working QOS and a stable release I would have not bothered.

http://bergsfirmware.000webhostapp.com/

Enjoy
Berg

Can the amount of connections to modified? I have my connections set to 50,000. Right now I'm scraping at 20,000 connections and can hardly feel the impact on web browsing. The WRT1200AC v2 is a beast.

Does your firmware have the ability to parse certain parts in plaintext? Or is it all rendered in Json/java like DDWRT? I only ask because I parse some aspects in RainMeter and DDWRT is very restrictive for this purpose. The only thing I can really get is the Active IP Connections from the actual Status page that shows all the IP's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: