General wifi config deployment advice requested

rjstone
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:31    Post subject: General wifi config deployment advice requested Reply with quote
Right now I have a netgear R6300v2 and a cisco/linksys WRT160Nv3. For those not familiar:

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Netgear_R6300_v2 (Doing mixed G/N wide, AP/gateway, NAS, and print server right now. It's pretty good.)

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Linksys_WRT160N_v3 (G/N Repeater bridge AP. This is a piece of crap but I got it for free so got what I paid for which is 0.)

For now I have the 5GHz radio disabled as I was reading that "weird things happen" when you try to run that concurrently with 2.4GHz in some situations, and this is what I'm wondering about. I don't think I have any AC devices except maybe my newest phone or tablet (maybe, haven't bothered to check).

Anyway, my downlink from the net is only like 10-12Mbps so I haven't really worried much about trying to make the wifi faster, but with the NAS drive that I added I'm staring to wonder about the best way to configure things.

Anyway, main questions I've been wondering about lately:

Shortcut Forwarding Engine: on or off?

Is there any point at all to using WDS if you only have one "net extender" (repeater or repeater bridge)?

Should I leave the N set to narrow or set it to HT40? (I can't quite tell if this 160N does HT40 but it seems to and the specs say MIMO 2x2.)

Should I crank up the power a little on either of these?

Anyway, I'm essentially just looking for random advice or warnings if anyone has any.
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
i use fixed channel 11 + lower, set to auto does not produse good results...

for best TX rate I also use country domain Canada or Haiti... ...

miscellaneous: short GI, short preamble, NG mixed...
in general NAS speed in DD-WRT is slow anyway...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Leave the 2.4ghz radio set to narrow. Unless you have no neighbors around you at all.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
i use fixed channel 11 + lower, set to auto does not produse good results...

for best TX rate I also use country domain Canada or Haiti... ...

miscellaneous: short GI, short preamble, NG mixed...
in general NAS speed in DD-WRT is slow anyway...

Looks like 11+lower would get me further away from the neighbor's lame ISP router with its default SSID.

I know what short preamble is but have never heard of "short GI"
rjstone
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 23:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Leave the 2.4ghz radio set to narrow. Unless you have no neighbors around you at all.

The neighbors are very sparse, sparse enough that I can barely pick up one SSID on the built in site survey tool.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 23:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
As it turns out though when I really got to looking at it I seem to have no devices, other than the one I'm using as a client bridge, that will do HT40. And the stuff plugged into that can't really benefit from higher speeds. So basically there seems to be very little use to me using HT40 here right now and even with neighbors not very close by it seems like it will cause more trouble than it's worth in 2.4GHz spectrum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: