R9000 - Wireless Signal Settings Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
usaf-lt-g
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 14:28    Post subject: R9000 - Wireless Signal Settings Help Reply with quote
Hi guys,

I was wondering if someone might be able to help me maximize my range / signal quality settings on my R9000. I have a 3 floor house (basement, main floor, upstairs) whereby the R9000 sits in my office wiring closet on the main floor. My wife's office is in the basement, and the bedrooms are on the upper level. These areas don't seem to be getting adequate signal or quality as they are constantly dropping the internet connection.

Firmware is: DD-WRT v3.0-r36020M std (05/25/1Cool

I have 5GHz, 2.4GHz, and virtual "Guest" interfaces for each as well. the 60GHz band is disabled as I have nothing worthwhile to connect to it.

SNR Data -

5GHz Setup

5GHz Guest Setup

2.4 Setup

2.4 Guest Setup

Sponsor
vit5421
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here is my experience with r7800 and other routers.
I have a big house as well and in order to cover all 2 stores with basement and even backyard i put main router as Gateway in the office (1st floor) on the high shelf, run the wire to basement and put the 2nd as wired AP Router ( wan and dhcp disabled) - https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_access_point
I did some adjustments for " Minimum Signal for connection" but of course the roaming is not allow me seamless switch as proper mesh network supposed to do but at least work at full speed.
Of course 5 ghz is not good enough for long distance and auto channels, 40mhz are bad setup for 2.4 as well. 161 channel with LL(-6) will give you 30dbm on 5 ghz so you can consider try 80mhz instead of 160 for higher Tx power but it also depends of your clients.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmmm....

I'm wondering if I should just start putting in some cheap TP-LINKs to repeat the signal. Basement is already wired, so that's easy enough to hook up another router down there in repeater mode. Garage would be nice, so would upstairs, and my backyard...

That would mean 4 more routers, and only 1 of them has an appropriate means to be "wired."

Somehow, setting up 3 "wireless" bridges seems like a bad idea, unless I can figure out a way to not chop the speed off incredibly. I know it can be done, but that would mean a couple of virtual networks, and I believe each one cuts the speed in half.
ddaniel51
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tweaking a single router is not going to solve the attenuation from the walls and floors across a large coverage area. Additional AP's are needed to provide good consistent signals.

I ran an ethernet cable from the computer room to the living room and master bedroom. The living room has an additional switch connected to an AP router, multimedia, tv, cable tuner, remote tv tuner, NAS, and also covers the workshop and backyard. The bedroom has a small switch that gives the permanent laptop and tv there hardwired access to the house network.

Wifi coverage from the main router and AP cover the 6 Amazon Echo's, 4 phones and whatever odd Wifi wanders into the house.

Perhaps you can find a path to run an ethernet cable upstairs to provide additional AP coverage there.

Wired AP 3 Unifi Wifi 6 LR US 1Gb LAN
Syslog Services Asustor 7110T NAS 10GB
NetGear XS716T 10GB Switch
download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/ (Brain Slayer)
YAMon https://usage-monitoring.com/index.php
usaf-lt-g
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 14:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:45 pm Post subject:
Tweaking a single router is not going to solve the attenuation from the walls and floors across a large coverage area. Additional AP's are needed to provide good consistent signals.

Copy that...

That being said, Given the R9000 is the workhorse, what would you recommend hardware wise I use for coverage? Will probably want to boost both 5G and 2.4, but 2.4 for sure. Some cheap-o TP-Links or something else? Not looking to spend a fortune on hardware I'm just turning into APs / Repeaters. How about one for outside / the elements (back-yard). I have a pergola or deck I could probably mount something to.[/quote]
vit5421
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 16:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Its very hard to suggest. In my opinion it will be strange to paired incredibly expensive $400 r9000 with cheap wired AP. I am always using the same main and wired AP routers for easy Management, Software upgrade mistakes, similar Troubleshooting and chipset compatibility for roaming.
I am using 2xR7800 refurbished and tested by Netgear with $130 each

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
vit5421 wrote:
Its very hard to suggest. In my opinion it will be strange to paired incredibly expensive $400 r9000 with cheap wired AP. I am always using the same main and wired AP routers for easy Management, Software upgrade mistakes, similar Troubleshooting and chipset compatibility for roaming.
I am using 2xR7800 refurbished and tested by Netgear with $130 each

Got it... didn't know they were down that low. a couple R7800 paired with my R9000 might be the route to go.
ddaniel51
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 0:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
The 7800's would do well as wired Ap's.

I gave the 7000, 7800 and 8500's to my son after the gigabit came online from my ISP. Bought some cheap 9000's
on fleabay since they easily run my apps and gb bandwidth. So, I have main router spares on hand. Smile

I'm a retired network, systems and fiber admin so I can play. Old habits die hard as my house network is tied together with a Cisco business class programmable switch.

Wired AP 3 Unifi Wifi 6 LR US 1Gb LAN
Syslog Services Asustor 7110T NAS 10GB
NetGear XS716T 10GB Switch
download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/ (Brain Slayer)
YAMon https://usage-monitoring.com/index.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: