VPNFilter Malware Attacks on Consumer Routers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
mache
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 0:59    Post subject: VPNFilter Malware Attacks on Consumer Routers Reply with quote
Slashdot reports that the FBI has posted an advisory regarding state sponsored VPNFilter malware attacks on consumer routers - https://www.ic3.gov/media/2018/180525.aspx

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-cyber-routers-ukraine/cyber-firms-warn-on-[suspected-russian-plan-to-attack-ukraine-idUSKCN1IO1U9

https://www.thedailybeast.com/exclusive-fbi-seizes-control-of-russian-botnet
Sponsor
ironmanlok
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 14:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://blog.talosintelligence.com/2018/05/VPNFilter.html

Still not much info on specific vulnerabilities it exploited, just curious if DD-WRT ever got infected by it, specially because they identified some infected routers as R7000, R6400 and R8000, which is very common among DD-WRT users

To be safe, I just checked my /etc/cron.d and found nothing suspicious, but that was expected since I just had to erase nvram to recover from a bricked state.

Maybe people that haven't erased nvram in a while could check their /etc/cron.d and post the findings?
sesshomaru86
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
ironmanlok wrote:

To be safe, I just checked my /etc/cron.d and found nothing suspicious, but that was expected since I just had to erase nvram to recover from a bricked state.

Maybe people that haven't erased nvram in a while could check their /etc/cron.d and post the findings?

Sorry for the noobish question but after telnet or ssh on the router how to check the /etc/cron.d . Linux commands doesnt seem to work here. Any help plz? I cant figure out how to check this directory. What are the respectively commands for ls / sudo / nano editor inside the ddwrt ?
Louis-Jean
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 1:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
sesshomaru86 wrote:

Sorry for the noobish question but after telnet or ssh on the router how to check the /etc/cron.d . Linux commands doesnt seem to work here. Any help plz? I cant figure out how to check this directory. What are the respectively commands for ls / sudo / nano editor inside the ddwrt ?

Typical Unix/Linux commands: cd. ls, cat, piping through more:

cd /etc/cron.d
ls -A
cat *filename* | more

DD-WRT doesn't use sudo and you're already logged in as root anyway, right?

Mine just contains a link to /sbin/check_ps which AFAICT is part of DD-WRT and not a foreign command, so I guess I'm good. I'm investigation whether I should flash a newer version than the v3.0 build 31924 I have on my Linksys E1200 rev.2 which is on the list of known-affected devices. Sad I changed the admin user name too, and just changed the password to something stronger which won't hurt in the meantime, as long as I don't forget what I changed them to.
hushcoden
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just checked my R7000 running v3.0-r36000M and the 'ls' command gives as output check_ps

Am I good ?
sesshomaru86
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Louis-Jean wrote:
sesshomaru86 wrote:

Typical Unix/Linux commands: cd. ls, cat, piping through more:

cd /etc/cron.d
ls -A
cat *filename* | more

DD-WRT doesn't use sudo and you're already logged in as root anyway, right?

Mine just contains a link to /sbin/check_ps which AFAICT is part of DD-WRT and not a foreign command, so I guess I'm good. I'm investigation whether I should flash a newer version than the v3.0 build 31924 I have on my Linksys E1200 rev.2 which is on the list of known-affected devices. Sad I changed the admin user name too, and just changed the password to something stronger which won't hurt in the meantime, as long as I don't forget what I changed them to.

Perfect ! You are right . Didnt know the shell was based on Busybox. I'm good too . At least if that kind of malware isnt more stealthy and residues in some other dark part of my router xD but i refuse flashing and configuring all from he beginning.
shortspider
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
So what exactly needs to be done to remove the malware if I was infected? I assume I would need to clear the nvram, would a 30/30/30 reset do that? Then right away flash a new build on there?

Appreciate any advice.

Router: Netgear R7000
Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r35916 std ( 05/11/18 )
k9lego
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:40    Post subject: Hmmm Reply with quote
Yikes! My router has been acting really unreliably recently. I have a double-nat for security. One is a Motorola cable modem/router, and one is a R6900 (Costco's version of the R7000, with DD-WRT R7000 edition.
Are there any other potential hiding places for malware other than the cron folder?
phinn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
shortspider wrote:
So what exactly needs to be done to remove the malware if I was infected? I assume I would need to clear the nvram, would a 30/30/30 reset do that? Then right away flash a new build on there?

Appreciate any advice.

Router: Netgear R7000
Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r35916 std ( 05/11/18 )

No, it's been made very clear 30/30/30 is obsolete and can only damage your router at this point. You would want to do "nvram erase" from SSH shell or just do it from the web UI.
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
phinn wrote:
You would want to do "nvram erase" from SSH shell or just do it from the web UI.
It is `erase nvram` and the GUI reset is not the same. Smile

`nvram erase` is a CFE command using serial.

|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: