Wrt54GL firmware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
sesshomaru86
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:35    Post subject: Wrt54GL firmware Reply with quote
Hello all! Recently i decided to buy a wrt54gl as i needed to extend my wifi signal to another part of my house .My main router is a wrt1200ac in which i run the latest firmware from Brainslayer. Until here all good.

After a lot of read and carefully notice of https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

and

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54GL

i decide to flash the latest generic firmware again from Brainslayer .Everything work except that when wireless client trying to connect to the wpa2 AES network , there was an error in authentication. Tried different encryptions ,different ap name for the virtual interface, etc but nothing.

At that point i downgrade to some other version from the same year (2018) and that time the wireless cant seem to activate (radio is off) .Tried 30/30/30 , erase nvram , ifconfig wl0 up ,etc but nothing.

From what i was reading the most stable version was the 14929 . So i tried to install it , put again same settings and everything worked like magic this time !

The thing is that it's too old version and it isn't KRACK patched so it's risky to use as a daily firmware for a lot of devices that we use even for work. From what i was reading i need a version 33772 and higher .

So i decide also to test it but again the problem with the authentication .

Tested also the 34311 as mentioned by jwh7 and again i have the radio problem . Tried again to 30/30/30 , erase nvram , factory defaults, uping the wifi interface but nothing. Problem is not hardware as in other versions it works the wifi without problem .

I almost flashed over 10 versions today without success except the 14929 that has the security vulnerability . Any suggestions someone ? All the clients are wireless so i need for sure the wireless interface. The only thing i need is repeating a wireless signal nothing else. Everything else from vpn tunellling to killswitch and dhcp server are made from the other devices. Any working build someone???Thanx in advance !
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 15:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you try 35531? I haven't looked through the forums or did as much research as you did, but that was a last known 'overall' good build across the board, I think? I actually wished I had one of those routers here. I am kinda lost, though, virtual interfaces? All I would think is that you would assign an SSID to the wireless adapter(s) and set up wireless security for WPA2 / AES, not sure how an authentication problem would happen unless in the advanced tab it's not set to 'auto' for authentication. Shared key = WEP, if I'm not mistaken. WPA2 doesn't work if you use Shared Key on that setting as I found out the hard way Rolling Eyes

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2018/03-26-2018-r35531/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_mini_wrt54g.bin
sesshomaru86
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Did you try 35531? I haven't looked through the forums or did as much research as you did, but that was a last known 'overall' good build across the board, I think? I actually wished I had one of those routers here. I am kinda lost, though, virtual interfaces? All I would think is that you would assign an SSID to the wireless adapter(s) and set up wireless security for WPA2 / AES, not sure how an authentication problem would happen unless in the advanced tab it's not set to 'auto' for authentication. Shared key = WEP, if I'm not mistaken. WPA2 doesn't work if you use Shared Key on that setting as I found out the hard way Rolling Eyes

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2018/03-26-2018-r35531/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_mini_wrt54g.bin

Thanx for the reply man. Na i didn't tried this version but i will now for sure !

The router is configured as Bridge repeater so the psysical inteface ath0 has the same confinguration as the main router (same SSID , password ,encryption ,etc ) and is used so that the repeater is connected to the main router as a client.

The virtual interface is practically the new network that is broadcasted . Usually you put the same exact info as the primary so it became a psysical extension of the first. In some cases the SSID is changed to evade some problems.

The problem with the authentication is for there for sure and it's impossible that i got the password wrong or smthg like that as i tried multiple times from different devices and in some cases i even use Keepassx so i just need to ocpy/paste passwords. ALl in all the configuration isn't wrong as in the 14929 build all working like charm!

Most of the instructions how to configure a bridge repeater can be found here

https://wiki.ddwrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

for anyone that has trouble configuring it.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Client and repeater bridge modes are pretty much broken in the newer builds, anyway, I think.

BrainSlayer wrote:
i really think about removing these fake bridge modes. all newer broadcom drivers using the dhd driver do not support these bridge modes anymore. they may crash. they may not work. sorry. i have to ignore this. use client modes, maybe use the eoip tunnel feature to build your real bridges. fake bridges are shit anyway and they do not have any arp support. they just simulate the behaviour. realize finally that this is no wds mode. it has no real bridge behaviour. this is also not possible without wds

You may look more into setting up WDS, perhaps.
PowerPoldi
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've succeeded in configuring a Repeater-Bridge on WRT54GL using a build from 2016.
Unfortunatelly, the RB extends WiFi in my brothers house, so I cannot give you the actual build n° nor a config file. I've just configured pretty much straight forward, as advised in the wikis
Sam1789
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Client and repeater bridge modes are pretty much broken in the newer builds, anyway, I think.

BrainSlayer wrote:
i really think about removing these fake bridge modes. all newer broadcom drivers using the dhd driver do not support these bridge modes anymore. they may crash. they may not work. sorry. i have to ignore this. use client modes, maybe use the eoip tunnel feature to build your real bridges. fake bridges are shit anyway and they do not have any arp support. they just simulate the behaviour. realize finally that this is no wds mode. it has no real bridge behaviour. this is also not possible without wds

Can you give a link to that post by BS?

This lack of repeater modes would seem to blow up my plans to add 3 Wireless Access Points distributed around my house? = 2 wired back to my primary WiFi router and 1 wirelessly connecting back to the main WiFi router.

Had planned to use my multiple NG r6300's for this (with builds r35531 and then r35927).
One of my main goals is of course to get WiFi coverage and the second being to be able to use the same SSIDs & passwords for every access point.

wrt54GLs for ad'l 3rd tier machines.

Last edited by Sam1789 on Mon May 28, 2018 19:12; edited 1 time in total
sesshomaru86
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
PowerPoldi wrote:
I've succeeded in configuring a Repeater-Bridge on WRT54GL using a build from 2016.
Unfortunatelly, the RB extends WiFi in my brothers house, so I cannot give you the actual build n° nor a config file. I've just configured pretty much straight forward, as advised in the wikis

The 2016 arent KRACK patched so i would prefer not flashing versions older than the 33772 (late 2017) but thanx for your input .

kernel-panic69 wrote:

BrainSlayer wrote:

Ow didnt know that's so bad . I should have done a better research before buying it i suppose but it was still fun tinkering and maybe i could use for smthg else.

The wds i think someone need to have the same chip to be able to work . So i suppose i would need another wrt1200ac to set it up with the main router but cant afford right it now thats why i opted for a cheap alternative. Anyway i need to research more the wds option ,thanx for the suggestion.

The thing now is i'm again in search for an alternative to increase the wireless network range. The thing is that i didnt want to use some "range extender" that are in circulation as it will complicate my current network setup (as it will create another Acess point so wil have problems with chromecasts ,vpn , firewall ,google home , printers , thelittle server , the nas , the raspberry with the dhcp server and some shared resources and a lot of other devices.And because when something doesnt work is a hell to troubleshoot and understand what doesnt work , i just wanted to have a simpler and more stable solution . Anyway i will do some more tests and in case i will search for smthg else that fits my case. Saw some Linksys High-Gain Antennas but except that they cost as much as a router around 80 euros , i dont know if they are even working in my case , its a bit complicated how are distributed the radio waves.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
The post I referenced is in the 35927 thread,

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=315082&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

It may not be broken with the 2.4/2.6 WRT54 builds, but I cannot verify without said hardware and trying. But it was stated that they may or may not work and to use client modes only or WDS (wireless distribution system, I'm guessing?).
PowerPoldi
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I follow the threads for quite a while now. For me, it seems, that the builds after sfe and KRACK-patch still lack "stability"

Up to now, I hesitat to upgrade my devices (E4200V1 & DIR-890L).

But it's everbodys own decision, whether risking an instable build or a KRACK-attack
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 14:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
PowerPoldi wrote:
Well, I follow the threads for quite a while now. For me, it seems, that the builds after sfe and KRACK-patch still lack "stability"

Up to now, I hesitat to upgrade my devices (E4200V1 & DIR-890L).

But it's everbodys own decision, whether risking an instable build or a KRACK-attack

If I could cobble together all of the pieces and parts to inject into the 'latest' stock firmware source tree for my E4200v1 to update and upgrade everything to the latest stable versions and get it to build... lol. I'm kinda having fun participating in the testing and all. I am definitely not so concerned about bleeding edge over stability, but a fine, happy medium would be great. I have to give kudos to the developers, nonetheless.
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 15:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sam1789 wrote:
kernel-panic69 wrote:

BrainSlayer wrote:

This lack of repeater modes would seem to blow up my plans to add 3 Wireless Access Points distributed around my house? = 2 wired back to my primary WiFi router and 1 wirelessly connecting back to the main WiFi router.

Had planned to use my multiple NG r6300's for this (with builds r35531 and then r35927).
One of my main goals is of course to get WiFi coverage and the second being to be able to use the same SSIDs & passwords for every access point.
BS' reference to bridge modes is only regarding the newer dhd driver, which I originally thought (from his reply in the 35927 build thread) was for the e.g. AC5300 devices, but I think actually regards any broadcom k4.4 builds (not for k3.x and older). Plus currently, WDS doesn't work on bcm ARM devices (only MIPS <--> MIPS).
|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
jwh7 wrote:
BS' reference to bridge modes is only regarding the newer dhd driver, which I originally thought (from his reply in the 35927 build thread) was for the e.g. AC5300 devices, but I think actually regards any broadcom k4.4 builds (not for k3.x and older). Plus currently, WDS doesn't work on bcm ARM devices (only MIPS <--> MIPS).

Thanks for the clarification!
Sam1789
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 18:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
jwh7 wrote:

Yes THANKS, jwh7

Sam

wrt54GLs for ad'l 3rd tier machines.
sesshomaru86
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
So i tested the version 35531. In the beginning i had the same problem with Radio off and if i clicked site survey to join a network it says "Please enable wireless network" and even with ifconfig wl0 up couldn't make it work. After a 30/30/30 in contrast with other firmwares the wifi got up this time and started working normally.

Tried to join the repeater network with a client still same problem and it couldn't connect. Tried with WPA2 AES . Change encryption to tkip , then wpa and then wep still nada. Tried this time without any security and this time the client stuck on getting an ip . The DHCP server as long as the DNS server is disabled on the main router and is forwarded to a raspberry but it shouldn't be a problem as with the 14929 firmw. i hadn't any problem . Anyway i assigned manually both ip and dns and that time got connected but still the client hadn't internet.I even got sure that the assigned ip is whitelisted on the vpn policy routing in the main router as there is a firewall iptables killswitch that prevents ips routed without the vpn. The firewall is disable on the repeater as also the DNSMasq and i can ping and access the repeater from a client that is connected to the main network.

Still based on the flawless experience on the 14929 firmware with the same configuration i don't think that there is some problem on my network and it should be something else in the firmware that prevents the normal behavior.

Ideas and suggestions are ofc welcomed xD

P.S. The TX Power of my main router is 30 dBm and
Antenna Gain at 0 (default values in BS r34929 build) . Is it safe to increase them and is it worth it , would there be some substantial increase on the wifi range ? I was reading is more about positioning the antennas and not so much of these values .Or is it maybe more wise buying a wifi extender like NETGEAR EX3700 ?
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 12:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
sesshomaru86 wrote:
So i tested the version 35531. In the beginning i had the same problem with Radio off and if i clicked site survey to join a network it says "Please enable wireless network" and even with ifconfig wl0 up couldn't make it work. After a 30/30/30 in contrast with other firmwares the wifi got up this time and started working normally.
I had wireless and GUI interaction issues on that build, but not 35927. Running 36006 now, but haven't used it much, and after resetting my GSv6 w/ 36006, httpd won't run at all.

I haven't tried resetting the GL since around 35531. I've never used repeater modes on a WRT54*; I presume you went thru the wiki after reset?

|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: