IPv6 on Comcast

343max
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 17:21    Post subject: IPv6 on Comcast Reply with quote
Hey! I'm pretty sure this isn't really an "Advanced Networking" questions, but I couldn't find a a better matching board.

I'm trying to get an IPv6 connection on my home network and I couldn't find a solution for days. Here is what I got so far:

When I plug my MacBook directly into the modem I get a IPv6 IP and connection and everything seems to work just fine (test-ipv6 is happy).
When I plug in my old AirPort Express it thinks it gets a IPv6 connection, but the values don't seem to be right: Default Gateway is sometimes ::1. Sometimes I get an IP and gateway that look like they could make sense, but my IPv6 connections always time out. When I enable an 6to4 tunnel on the APE it will seem to work but coonections seem to fail kind of randomly when I try to rely on a IPv6 connection.

On my dd-wrt router I tried IPv6 with PRefix Delegation, I tried Dhcp6s, I tried Radvd. I wouldn't get an IPv6 address in any of these configurations.
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
I believe IPv6 with PRefix Delegation with a len=56 is correct for Comcast.
hubermania
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Comcast will take a variety of prefixes. The default PD is 64; the Macbook is probably getting a 128-bit NA rather than a PD. Try these settings in DD-WRT's Setup->IPv6 tab to get a working configuration:

DHCPv6 with Prefix Delegation
Prefix length 64
MTU 1500

Dhcp6c custom disabled
Dhcp6s custom disabled
Radvd ENABLED

On the Setup->Basic tab, if you checkmarked Use DNSmasq for DHCP, you may need to setup the IPv6 address ranges. In my Services tab under Additional DNSmasq options, I tell DNSmasq where to get the IPv6 ranges:
dhcp-range=::0,constructor:br0,ra-stateless,12h

The PD is tied to the WAN MAC, and Comcast has 7-day PD leases. To change my PD to 60 for subnetting, I had to change the prefix length to 60 and clone the MAC off an old router. Alternatively I could have changed the prefix and switched off IPv6 for a week.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just wanted to say thank you, been trying to figure out how to get ipv6 working for a while now on comcast and i followed this advice. I didnt have to change any advanced options just the stuff under setup --> ipv6 once i changed that i checked on ipv6test.com and its all green now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: