Netgear R8000P

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
h3nk3t
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
In BS we shall trust Smile
Sponsor
myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
ms72588n wrote:
The word I got from BS is that it's in progress but he can't commit to a time schedule yet. He said it has a new arm 64 bit cpu and he needs to rework a lot of the broadcom drivers to get it to run with the new kernels.

Lets hope he figures out things soon. Like others have said, the r8000p has good hardware and should be a great router, but Netgear has saddled it with bad firmware.They need to get their act together firmware wise or better yet we get a good build from BS.

ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
Oshadami
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just got mine. Never knew it wasn't supported yet, I hope it will be supported soon. I'm planning to get another if support is not coming any time soon.
jcbrazil
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
I really hope this comes out soon, I am moving out the country, and I will need to connect with NordVPN. Sad

Come on BS! I will trust you!

My kids trust you, they need Sling to survive Smile
vanderson
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 14:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have had this router since December 2017 and have been having major issues that require me to restart the router every day or two, sometimes twice daily.

I am really hopeful that the developers come out with a DD-WRT firmware version for this router as I believe it would be a solid router once it gets quality firmware.

I will gladly donate coffee and food money for your efforts!
ms72588n
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I haven't bought this router yet but wanting to as soon as there is new firmware. I think this is the most powerful consumer wireless router currently available which is needed for VPN. Anyone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong and there is a more powerful wireless consumer router on the market.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 19:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
ms72588n wrote:
I haven't bought this router yet but wanting to as soon as there is new firmware. I think this is the most powerful consumer wireless router currently available which is needed for VPN. Anyone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong and there is a more powerful wireless consumer router on the market.

The rt-ac86u, with the same cpu is one. I'm sure there are are others.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
The rt-ac86u, with the same cpu is one. I'm sure there are are others.

Really? You're saying it has the same dual core 1.8 GHz BCM4906 (ARM v8 Cortex A53) ANDthe additional three offload processors? Even if it does, it's my understanding from BS there there are no versions of the dd-wrt firmware that support this 64-bit processor.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
You said vpn. That shouldn't have anything to do with the 3 wifi processors. That's handled by bcm4906 and yes he rt-ac86u has that cpu.
You didn't say supported by dd-wrt. Your clam was that the r8000p was the most power consumer wireless router for vpn and it's not supported either. May not be.
I hear the rt-ac86u with rmerlin and stock is great for vpn.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Since this thread is about DD-WRT support, I assumed DD-WRT support was a given. I want the most powerful router(s) for VPN to have DD-WRT Smile

Also if you don't have separate wifi processors, wouldn't one assume they're using the main processor and thus reducing the amount of processing available for VPN?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
I know this is dd-wrt forum but the r8000p is not supported and may not be so what is the difference.
I believe they also have the same wifi cpu. Only the asus is dual and not tri.

I'm probably wrong. Lol

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well looks like I'm wrong as well as now there's a quad core version of this chip which I think is in the EA9300, the GT-AC5300, and the C5400X. One of the big differences between the 3 seem to be the amount of RAM.
h3nk3t
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 15:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Happy summer everyone!!

Especially to BrainSlayer. Me and several others are putting our trust in you. As Always.....there can only be One BS
malibu31
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 0:45    Post subject: My time is running out Reply with quote
I would really want to see some DD-WRT firmware on this router. I feel it has so much potential, but the OEM firmware keeps it from reaching its full potential.

Take the R6300v2. I get a higher throughput on 5 GHz (400+ Mbps, Ch. 100, 80 MHz, DD-WRT) vs the R8000P on the second 5 GHz (~300 Mbps, Ch. 157, 80 MHz, OEM v1.3). Both channels are clear and I have gigabit internet.

I am also fed up on how there are no DFS channels available on the R8000P. Overall, I am disappointed with this router having owned 2 of them since January. I haven't seen any status updates from BrainSlayer & my patience is running out fast. I was ready to donate once a release came out, too, but I'll move on and sell these two R8000Ps and put my R7800 as my main with two R6300v2 as bridges if there is no traction in the coming days.

I get it is not easy. It is just that in the past, these releases tend to come out sooner, which makes me think that there may not be a way to put DD-WRT on this router or it is complex. It has been almost 5 months since I've owned them & since April that I heard a Dev got their hands on one. I hope for all of your sakes that there is a build that comes out to get away from the nightmare OEM firmware Netgear puts out. I'm one of the lucky ones that has both R8000Ps working on Ver 1.3 firmware.

Best of luck to B.S. and to any other Dev developing firmware for this router.
myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 15:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes I to bought a r8000p with the hope that BS would do a build since he does support the tri r8000. However, it is not looking like he is going to support it anytime soon. The Netgear firmware is a joke. If you want an unstable network then use the r8000p with OEM firmware.

I got tired of waiting and watching the Netgear forums not getting any good vibes about them fixing things anytime soon. So I moved on to an Asus RT-AC86U. With Merlin firmware installed the ac86u just runs. Never a hiccup in connectivity and never needs to be rebooted. Last reboot I did was for a firmware update 31 days ago. Yes I know no DD-WRT, but at least I have a stable network. Before the r8000p I had a r8000. That was not stable with Netgear or DD-WRT. Decided to try the r8000p which was not stable that is what pushed me to Asus. Netgear will go on Ebay in all probability.

ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: