What are the limits to bridge mode with dd-wrt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
daman2482
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 16:21    Post subject: What are the limits to bridge mode with dd-wrt Reply with quote
I am looking into installing a wireless bridge between two buildings about 120ft apart. In building 1 I am going to have around 10 computers and 10 VOIP phones,and maybe one or two network printers. In building 2 I am going to have around 4 computers and about 10 VOIP phones, and 1 network printer. After reading through some forums I was wondering if this would work with dd-wrt, or do I need a commerical type radio. I know that this is also limited by the type of router you use. If you have any suggestions on what type of routers would best fit this setup please let me know. Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsor
0ldman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 18:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
As long as you are running WDS bridge and the rest are on LAN, you're fine. Point to point WDS bridge will give you full 54mb speed, assuming signal strength is good enough.

What kind of net connection are you using? How much traffic to you plan on having over this link? Are they two seperate networks with their own shares or is it going to be an extention of the other network?

The wireless link will have about 1/3 the bandwidth of a 10/100 network, you will have a bottleneck there with just about any wireless link under $2000 USD. As far as I know the new 802.11n draft hardware has no support for WDS yet, and bridging options seem slim.

A Cisco would offer little over the WRT54GL with DD-WRT as long as it is a simple point to point bridge.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 19:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had thought about doing a client bridge instead of the WDS will give me more bandwidth then that will work. I am not going to give internet access to all of these computers. The VOIP will tie into the phone system that is on a point to point t-1 and pots line for outside connectivity. There will also be an in house email server, and a database which will be accessed on the server, I am also going to give a personal file on the server for data backups. The print servers will lie within that building only.

I have 2 other buildings I would like to connect with building 1 also, would the WDS support the other buidings,the same user setup will lie in the other buidlings like building 2, or would you recommend a separate WDS for each building.
Thanks again for the help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: