Shortcut Forwarding Engine - OFF = WAN Speed degradation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
vw-kombi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 23:34    Post subject: Shortcut Forwarding Engine - OFF = WAN Speed degradation Reply with quote
Router - Dlink DIR890L
Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r35034 std (02/17/1Cool
(was on R30016 before this - same issue)

Issue :
I thought this was caused by the latest version of YAMON (3.4), and blamed that - but that is an artifact as YAMON requires SFE turned off to see all the traffic (other posts relate to this).

Testing :
Restore router to default config I have (nothing special, just normal wifi, about 15 reserved IP's, no non standard services activated). SFE on by default. Router runs fine for ages with speedtest showing 98/38 or thewre abouts.

Now tick off the SFE, save, activate and restart router. As the day progresses, speed test goes lower and lower on download and upload. By the next morning, I have under 10 down and 3 up. If I leave it for another day, the router gets unresponsive - ever have to hard power it off as gui not accessible.

I am not a linux/router expert, but the load average seems to go hand in hand with this over time WAN speed degradation. After a router reboot it is 5-6% and by the next day it is 66% and rising slowly. I believe I have seen it at 80% in one of my tests.
Syslog only shows hourly time updates - no other errors at all.

Resolution :

Obviously, I can just leave SFE turned on - as per its design, however I would like the full use of YAMON - however, but the end of the month, I will be converting to an unlimited internet plan - which means yamon is not so important - but still a nice to have.

Anyone have any comments ? Anything I can try ?
Sponsor
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:51    Post subject: Upgrade Reply with quote
First Upgrade. That very well may fix the problem SFE was still be actively worked on when that build was released. See the link in my signature.

I still leave it off but I have not encountered any speed slow downs on any of my routers.

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one, I am trying to update them.

Atheros:
Netgear R7800 - gateway, DHCP, QoS, VPN
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 x2 - WDS AP, WDS Station
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1 - WDS Station
TP-Link 841nd v8 - WDS Station
D-Link 615 C1 x 4 - not used
D-Link 615 E3 x 2 - not used
D-Link 825 B1 - WDS Station
D-Link 862L A1 x2 - WDS Station
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - WDS Station
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Asus N66U - backup Gateway
Netgear r6300 v1 - AP
Linksys E2500 - not used
Linksys EA2700 - not used
Linksys 160N v3 x2 - not used
Netgear WNDR3700v3 - not used
MediaTek
UBNT EdgeRouter X - not used
vw-kombi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK - I have just applied the latest R35667 - 040418. Up and running and tests are now started again.
vw-kombi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 23:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have exactly the same issues - latest beta did not rectify it. This morning, im getting 7 down and 3 up.
Ah-Pin-Kor
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 0:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have 35550M running on my 890L A1, sfe disabled.
Just did a simple speedtest thru 5GHz wifi yesterday and today, and both reached 350Mbps. Device used is ipad 2017. Maybe you can try Kong's latest test build.

Netgear R7800 kongpro 19.07 20190919 || Netgear R7000 36070M kongac (Client Bridge=5GHz, AP=2.4GHz with bridged VAP)
Linksys WRT32X davidc502 OpenWrt || Linksys WRT1200ACv1 Gargoyle 1.11.x
Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 dd-wrt 39956
vw-kombi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 0:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK- thanks for that - I will jump on the kong versions for a try.
vw-kombi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK - Installed kong - dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_R8000.bin
Reset to factory on restart.
Re-Keyed my config, I have detailed the only things I change below (done it a few times now)
If this has the samethe same speed drop as time goes on, then I am stumped - I guess I would reset to factory and NOT change anything and see if that makes any difference.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

DD-WRT Basic Setup Tasks :
Router Name - DIR890L
Local IP / Mask 192.168.1.1 / 255.255.255.0
DHCP Server 192.168.1.100 / Maximum 99
Static DNS 1 - 208.67.222.222
Static DNS 2 - 208.67.220.220
Static DNS 3 - 208.67.222.222
Time Settings - Enable - Australia/Queensland
Time Settings - Server IP/Name au.pool.ntp.org
IPv6 tab Disable
SFE Engine - Disable (was the default on this kong build)

Wireless :
Vaises_Roaming_5Ghz_WIFI, Channel - 48, Implicit beamforming, AP Mode, AC/N-Mixed, Wide HT40 (40Mhz)

The_IT_Crowd, Channel - 3, No beamforming, AP Mode, NG-Mixed, 20Mhz

Vaises_AC_Only, Channel - 116, explicit beamforming, AP Mode, AC Only, VHT80 (80 Mhz)

Set password - WPA2-Personal, same on each, save and restart router.

Services - USB Tab Enable Core USB Support
Services - USB Tab USB Storgae Support
Services - USB Tab Automatic Drive Mount.
Services Add static Macs (about 50)
Services Secure Shell - enable SSHd
Services System Log, enable 192.168.1.10

Setup - DDNS - See https://www.duckdns.org/install.jsp,
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
vw-kombi wrote:
The_IT_Crowd, Channel - 3, No beamforming, AP Mode, NG-Mixed, 20Mhz

On the 2.4 Ghz, use only channel 1, 6 or 11. That's the one that do not overlap. By using channel 3, the next usable one is 8 and 11 cannot be used, reducing the available channel from 3 to 2.
vw-kombi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for that channel info stuff - I have changed it to 6 as you suggested. Im my case it likely does not matter as that 2.4ghz wifi is only used by one printer and one garadget smart home device - both only metres away from it. I have an access point at the other end of the house that all the other smart home things connect too on 2.4. All 'real' devices use 5Ghz. Cheers.
vw-kombi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
So - The kong build fixes this issue. I tries 3 different releases of the other stream, but this is the first time I have gone a day and remained with my actual speed I pay for. Have no idea what is up with the others, but I will stay here now on this one. Thanks.
vw-kombi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
I get the SFE thing - The reason I need to disable it is for Yamon to see all the traffic. Disabled = unusabe the next day, enabled = all fine. The kong build is fine if enabled or disabled. The others (the ones where it is enabled by default) are NOT fine if you disable it. I have done days of testing of this.
vw-kombi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Second day - no speed issues at all - all is stable and happy. Thanks for the tip on kong - the only one without this issue on my dlink DIR890L. I wasted many days in testing this, and at first blamed YAM before by trial and error (and many factory resets) it was proven to be SFE.
PowerPoldi
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
I own a DIR890L as well, so following this thread is quite interesting.

BTW: Which Kong-Release did you install?

A statement from BS/Kong on this issue would be higly appreciated.
vw-kombi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
PowerPoldi wrote:
I own a DIR890L as well, so following this thread is quite interesting.

BTW: Which Kong-Release did you install?

A statement from BS/Kong on this issue would be higly appreciated.

Hi,
Kong is dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_R8000.bin.

However I have had a major setback with my testing. I was not getting yamon to match the router wan downloads/uploads. SFE was OFF - but it was as if it was ON. I turned it on, rebooted, turned off, rebooted and do some more downloading - still yamon could not see the data.

Maybe this kong release has SFE on whether you like it or not ?

I have decided to give up for a while on the dd-wrt and yamon. I have relegated this DIR-890L to an access point (still with kong) and have promoted my Asus-RT-AC68U as the main router. I put asuswrt-merlin on it and have set that all up now (a very nice interface), the traffic monitor built in looks like it will do what I require also. I will have a few months rest/test/bed in and may give dd-wrt another go but right now, I have everything working (traffic monitoring, 30 reservations, 6 roku's using smart DNS, all machines labeled with names, torrents tested etc). Their graphic iphone app is fantastic also. Had I known, I would have got two of these I suspect and their AI Mesh to play with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: