Why reset to defaults

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
e3000usr
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
GreyDoc wrote:
LOM wrote:
Still need a developer to explain it for you?

yes, please Very Happy there's no need for sarcastic remarks.. it's not only for me (I'm not so special), it's for all of us who would like to better understand this topic, there's too much misinfo on the forum even from gurus

Not even BS or myself can tell you for every unit what happens if you run a "erase nvram". It is a fact that there are lots of differences among units and CFEs that make it difficult to give a complete answer.

General rule is try with webif/reset button reset first.
On the units I port erase nvram always works, because I specifically test it and make sure it works and it is kind of necessary to understand a unit when you port it.

BS does not guarantee that for the units he ports.

Sometimes the erase nvram is necessary in order to clear the vars, that the regular reset does protect. I have seen tomato modify such values and sometimes the factory defaults are not correct either:-)

Reset also does simple things. Some vars are written once if they don't exist, e.g. after a reset we set "Airtime Fairness" to enabled, now two builds later we decide it should be disabled, it will not be set to disabled, since the value already exists.

But to be honest I don't reset every time I flash a build, because lots of times it is simply not necessary and won't make a difference.

Anyways, if you have the time then a reset helps you and us to avoid troubleshooting. It is even possible, that the reset tracks down new issues that we might have introduced, e.g. a new default is "scheiße", but you have not done a reset and you still work with the old good default, everything seems to be great, now ten builds later you do a reset and suddenly you have problems, you tell us, that the bug came with build xyz, while the bug has been introduced 9 builds before:-)

Kong thank you for your work with these great builds. I have upgraded to an R6700 and just want a basic command. do I enter: erase nvram ?
Sponsor
mac913
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
GreyDoc wrote:
LOM wrote:
Still need a developer to explain it for you?

yes, please :D there's no need for sarcastic remarks.. it's not only for me (I'm not so special), it's for all of us who would like to better understand this topic, there's too much misinfo on the forum even from gurus

Not even BS or myself can tell you for every unit what happens if you run a "erase nvram". It is a fact that there are lots of differences among units and CFEs that make it difficult to give a complete answer.

General rule is try with webif/reset button reset first.
On the units I port erase nvram always works, because I specifically test it and make sure it works and it is kind of necessary to understand a unit when you port it.

BS does not guarantee that for the units he ports.

Sometimes the erase nvram is necessary in order to clear the vars, that the regular reset does protect. I have seen tomato modify such values and sometimes the factory defaults are not correct either:-)

Reset also does simple things. Some vars are written once if they don't exist, e.g. after a reset we set "Airtime Fairness" to enabled, now two builds later we decide it should be disabled, it will not be set to disabled, since the value already exists.

But to be honest I don't reset every time I flash a build, because lots of times it is simply not necessary and won't make a difference.

Anyways, if you have the time then a reset helps you and us to avoid troubleshooting. It is even possible, that the reset tracks down new issues that we might have introduced, e.g. a new default is "scheiße", but you have not done a reset and you still work with the old good default, everything seems to be great, now ten builds later you do a reset and suddenly you have problems, you tell us, that the bug came with build xyz, while the bug has been introduced 9 builds before:-)

1st Thank-you for all your work and support. All the BEST in the New Year!

Request: It would be great to have a true Factory Default. As it stands Factory Default doesn't reset all the all settings to true default state for DD-WRT.

So is the best and safest way to get a true DD-WRT Factory Default is come from OEM Firmware?

TIA!

Off Site 1

R7000 - Gateway & WiFi & WireGuard - DDWRT r46885 Std
E3000 - Client Bridge - DDWRT r46885 Mega K4.4

Off Site 2

R7000 - Gateway & WiFi - DDWRT r44483 Std
E2000 - Wired ISP IPTV PVR Blocker - DDWRT r35531

YAMon 3.4.6 | DNSCrypt-Proxy V2
notorious.dds
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
OMG, did you even read his post?!
<Kong> wrote:

Would someone please cookie cutter me? Rolling Eyes
e3000usr
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
notorious.dds wrote:
OMG, did you even read his post?!
<Kong> wrote:

Would someone please cookie cutter me? Rolling Eyes

I'm asking about units Kong tests, where he says the erase nvram works in all the units he supports
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:

[...]
Kong, the corollary of this very thing has helped me to resolve a long-standing issue w/ my WNDR4500v2; frequent VPN client disconnects and wireless drops, which broke b/t 26138 and 26339, including a change to default ATF on. Details: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/posting_sec.php?p=1001794#1001794

After a reset and set up of 26138, everything works, then flashing w/o reset to the latest builds still works fine. I haven't tried re-enabling ATF yet to see if it really is the culprit [didn't bring my work laptop home this weekend for VPN]. If it is; should ATF only be used for AC routers, and not N?
[Update: tested VPN w/ wl0_atf=1 and wl1_atf=1 (and reboot); working for over an hour, so back to the spreadsheet...]

And yes, I realize this blows away my prior 'always reset' experience. :-/

|OpenWRT 21.02: RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://svn.dd-wrt.com/changeset/35532

"erase nvram" which caused so many problems has finally been remapped to only clear the nvram variables and not clear the nvram header or anything else residing in the nvram partition.
Not a day too early if you ask me..

Navigation

Jump to: