Got TrendNet AC1900 TEW-818DRU Working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
deltreey
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:39    Post subject: Got TrendNet AC1900 TEW-818DRU Working Reply with quote
Note: I don't see a forum for TrendNet. If this is the wrong place for this, please move it. First post jitters and all.

I spent the evening flashing my TrendNet AC1900 TEW-818DRU with the DD-WRT firmware. There were some mistakes in the documentation that tripped me up.

1. Part of the FAQ talks about downloading the correct binary:
    https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Firmware_FAQ#Where_do_I_download_firmware.3F
    Step 4 Explicitly says not to flash a fresh router with the WebFlash file. This is false. As I found out by experimenting with a brand new router this evening, the default TrendNet UI provided a way to upload the binary. I did, and then I cycled it a few times and it worked. The WebFlash is the only option for the TEW-818DRU, so this was an scary test for me because I didn't know that the FAQ was wrong.

2. The default IP for the TrendNet interface was 192.168.10.1 in my case (in fact, the instructions with the router don't even give you that, they tell you to use a DNS address). The FAQ and Wiki tell you that your DD-WRT IP will be the same. It wasn't. It converted to 192.168.1.1 This was important because it also frightened me when I thought I had bricked my router but it was just the wrong IP address.

3. Hard Reset 30/30/30 Power cycling the router once wasn't enough. I had to do it 2 or 3 times before my pings started to work. I was all ready to try recovery options when I started to notice that my pings to 192.168.10.1 were getting responses from 192.168.1.1 after my third reset.

4. With the TrendNet router, note that the reset button is on the bottom. I thought I was resetting it a couple of times holding down the WPS button. That's the wrong button. The reset is on the bottom and it's too deep for a typical pen. Get a paperclip or something else. I used a tiny screwdriver.

Notably, this worked absolutely fine on the latest firmware from BS. You can download it here: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2018/03-05-2018-r35244/trendnet-818DRU/

Enjoy!

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmm, I downloaded the firmware you posted the link to and my router went right into the firmware upload mode just fine.

Been trying to reset mine to get it up and running but it is coming up with some bogus IP address for my PC on the port and isn't currently working. Will try again in the morning.

Just keep trying the 30/30/30 reset a few times?

It seems to be communicating with the router because it is getting an IP and mask but no gateway. And the IP address on my PC is set to something like:
(Already turned off my laptop and the router. This is the number other than not sure of the second portion. Might have been a different number than 254 but the IP is always the same so far.)
deltreey
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 16:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
redheadedrodney wrote:
Hmm, I downloaded the firmware you posted the link to and my router went right into the firmware upload mode just fine.

This is a fresh install right? Not an upgrade?

redheadedrodney wrote:
Been trying to reset mine to get it up and running but it is coming up with some bogus IP address for my PC on the port and isn't currently working. Will try again in the morning.

See Note 2. I had the same issue.
Code:
ping -t <ip>
the expected IP. You should see responses denying access to the invalid IP from the router's actual IP once it's working (after a few resets) and then everything should be working.

redheadedrodney wrote:
Just keep trying the 30/30/30 reset a few times?

Yeah, just watch the ping. Eventually they'll stop failing and you'll start seeing a denial from the IP of the router, which is probably going to be 192.168.1.1

redheadedrodney wrote:
It seems to be communicating with the router because it is getting an IP and mask but no gateway. And the IP address on my PC is set to something like:
(Already turned off my laptop and the router. This is the number other than not sure of the second portion. Might have been a different number than 254 but the IP is always the same so far.)

This sounds more like you're having issues getting to the internet? That's not what this post is about. This is about getting the firmware working and migrating the Router's OS. I don't have anywhere near enough scope to diagnose every potential issue stopping you from getting to the internet.

If that's not the case and I'm misinterpreting, make sure you're not connected to other networks when testing (wifi, other ethernet ports etc).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:21    Post subject: Re: Got TrendNet AC1900 TEW-818DRU Working Reply with quote
Hello Guys:

This build did work for me too

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2018/03-05-2018-r35244/trendnet-818DRU/

I have a TrendNet TEW-818DRU V1.1

1.Assign static IP to the NIC: 192.168.10.10
2.Open Router Interface 192.168.10.1
3.Restore Router to defaults using the web GUI
4.Wait until restore and reboot
5.Upload the webflash.bin directly from web GUI
6.After was done, it shows a TrendNet CFE Miniweb Server page (I did not used this)
7.I waited for 10 minutes
8.Restore to defaults using the reset button this time, press for 10 seconds the button in the bottom of the router then release
9. After router done rebooting, changed the NIC back to DHCP.
10.Open router Interface this time with 192.168.1.1

This time load the DD-WRT GUI....done!!!

I have my cable Modem-Router connected Lan to Wan to the new DD-WRT router and is working good (both 2,4ghz and 5ghz are working ok)

The only issue is that the 2.4GHz LED is off all the time, even with activity..... anyone with a solution for this?

Thank you.
mpouls1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 1:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
My experience with version 1.1R right out of the box today.

1) plug in router power
2) connect router to computer via ethernet cable(do not do wireless)
3) open browser 192.168.10.1
4) do initial oem set-up following the prompts
5) once complete then go to administration --> firmware and browse and upload the dd-wrt .bin file you chose
6) once it updates to dd-wrt and the router reboots I went back to browser and typed in 192.168.1.1 and was in dd-wrt GUI

I didn't have to reset the router. Was easier than expected after reading up on previous installation methods.

- DD-WRT v3.0-r47596 std (10/25/21)
- NordVPN
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
redheadedrodney wrote:

That IP is the usual bogus one that either OSX or Windows (or even Linux?) assigns when you're not getting a DHCP server response. Sometimes, it takes a little waiting for the IP address to be leased, it seems. There have been a few builds since this one... the latest being here ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2018/05-23-2018-r36006/trendnet-818DRU/
DisregulatedDad
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:13    Post subject: Simple approach worked perfectly on my TEW-818DRU Reply with quote
I followed the exact procedure outlined by mpouls1 a couple of months ago. I used the latest beta of DD-WRT from the repository (17 July I think), and took a refurb router fresh out of the box, went through the factory basic setup, then to the advanced menu and selected firmware upload.

The web flash version of DD-WRT uploaded and no reset was required at all. It took several minutes to reboot into DD-WRT after completing the upload, so patience is rewarded at that stage.

Thanks, all, for posting your experience to assist those of us who follow in your brave footsteps. Smile
jmacc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:24    Post subject: Do not use buld v3.0-r40559 (08/06/19) Reply with quote
The build in the subject, currently in the database for TEW-818DRU, does not work, or at least it doesn't work if you want to configure a repeater. The build recommended in this thread worked fine for me.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:51    Post subject: Re: Do not use buld v3.0-r40559 (08/06/19) Reply with quote
jmacc wrote:
The build in the subject, currently in the database for TEW-818DRU, does not work, or at least it doesn't work if you want to configure a repeater. The build recommended in this thread worked fine for me.

The only good information in the router database is the linked wikis and such, and even that is debatable sometimes. Don't use the router database, this is a known issue. There's also been months of releases since 40559, and 40559 is a problematic build.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: