how to upgrade to linksys firmware from dd-wrt firmware??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Angelkid
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:45    Post subject: how to upgrade to linksys firmware from dd-wrt firmware?? Reply with quote
well, I upgrade my router to DD-WRT firmware and made factory default, but now I wanna use linksys firmware, I found that seems impossible? any one could tell me how ????????

Shocked
Sponsor
tgm4883
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
First, why would you want to do that Shocked

Second, just dl the firmware from linksys and flash it on there
Angelkid
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
I used the linksys firmware and flashing it to my WRT54GS router with TFTP, but after router reboot, it seems crashed and cannot work! I wanno know the right way to use linksys firmware back!!
iXiPHoCiSiXi
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why in the world woud you ever want to do that?
Ok ok, sure linksys firmware is guaranteed STABLE, but you want that more then the features that the DDWRT will give you?
anyways here ya go man, sorry you did not like ddwrt
Step-by-step: Going back to VxWorks (Linksys firmware)

WARNING: This procedure has not yet been as well tested as the flash to linux. Please use caution. I advise waiting to here reports of success from others. I've only tested on a WRT54Gv5.

IMPORTANT WARNING: This procedure requires you not touch your router for a bit longer than the older procedure. Since you don't know when the flash of the VxWorks BSP is occuring, you might accidentally power off the router in a critical time. Follow these instructions carefully and at no time power cycle your router! If you do not heed this advice, you may BRICK your router.

For the WRT54G v5 and v6 ONLY:

Download [http://www.bitsum.com/files/vxworks_revert_v02.zip] and extract.
Download the latest Linksys firmware for your router from http://www.linksys.com.
In the DD-WRT Administration/Firmware? Upgrade tab, select and apply the openwrt-wrt54g_v4-squashfs.bin firmware you extracted in step 1.
DO NOT TOUCH YOUR ROUTER. DO NOT POWER DOWN YOUR ROUTER. IF YOU DO, YOU MAY/WILL BRICK YOUR ROUTER.
After a few minutes (have patience) your router will reboot itself and the VxWorks BSP's Management Mode will be engaged. You can visit it at http://192.168.1.1. If the browser doesn't respond, WAIT LONGER. Do not power off your router.
In the Management Mode, select and apply the Linksys firmware you downloaded in step 2. DO NOT apply vxworks killer instead, even if you want to go back to linux again right away. You must first apply a Linksys firmware to re-initialize the flash before you can go back to linux.
Power cycle the router after you see 'Success'.

Skip to finalizing below..

For the WRT54GS v5, v5.1 (and v6?) ONLY:

WARNING: This is untested. Advise to wait until reports come in from GS users with JTAG to recover.

Download [http://www.bitsum.com/files/vxworks_revert_gs_v02.zip] and extract.
Download the latest Linksys firmware for your router from http://www.linksys.com.
In the DD-WRT Administration/Firmware? Upgrade tab, select and apply the openwrt-wrt54gs_v4-squashfs.bin firmware you extracted in step 1.
DO NOT TOUCH YOUR ROUTER. DO NOT POWER DOWN YOUR ROUTER. IF YOU DO, YOU MAY/WILL BRICK YOUR ROUTER.
After a few minutes (have patience) your router will reboot itself and the VxWorks BSP's Management Mode will be engaged. You can visit it at http://192.168.1.1. If the browser doesn't respond, WAIT LONGER. Do not power off your router.
In the Management Mode, select and apply the Linksys firmware you downloaded in step 2. DO NOT apply vxworks killer instead, even if you want to go back to linux again right away. You must first apply a Linksys firmware to re-initialize the flash before you can go back to linux.
Power cycle the router after you see 'Success'.

Finalizing

Congratulations, you are now back to Linksys firmware.

Angelkid
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
iXiPHoCiSiXi wrote:
Why in the world woud you ever want to do that?
Ok ok, sure linksys firmware is guaranteed STABLE, but you want that

.................................................................................

Finalizing

Congratulations, you are now back to Linksys firmware.

Thanks, but ......... my router is WRT54GV4, so this step seems not suitable for me......

er.......................
Does here have any other ways??????????????
iXiPHoCiSiXi
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
thats off the bitsum website, i was looking and that was the only thing i could find for you on there, sorry man Crying or Very sad
Angelkid
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
I try to do as the guite above, and........ noooooooooooooooooooo, my router dead... and serial port no respone......

Shocked finally I have to flash ROM file anyway......
iXiPHoCiSiXi
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
cant say they didnt warn ya enough
WARNING: This procedure has not yet been as well tested as the flash to linux. Please use caution. I advise waiting to here reports of success from others. I've only tested on a WRT54Gv5.

IMPORTANT WARNING: This procedure requires you not touch your router for a bit longer than the older procedure. Since you don't know when the flash of the VxWorks BSP is occuring, you might accidentally power off the router in a critical time. Follow these instructions carefully and at no time power cycle your router! If you do not heed this advice, you may BRICK your router.

WARNING: This is untested. Advise to wait until reports come in from GS users with JTAG to recover.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
The v5-v6 hacks don't work on a v4 guys, nor are they necessary... I hope you didn't really try reverting to VxWorks on a unit that runs a linux Linksys OS by default... if so, maybe only JTAG can save you now.

The warnings in this case are not applicable. What is applicable is "For the WRT54G v5 and v6 ONLY:" text.

To go back to Linksys firmware on the v4, all you do is flash the Linksys firmware through the DD-WRT web UI.
tgm4883
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
tgm4883 wrote:
Second, just dl the firmware from linksys and flash it on there

See above ^
jpalo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 13:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just went back from DD-WRT firmware to original Linksys firmware by following iXiPHoCiSiXi's instructions on my Linksys WRT54G-EU v5.1 by following the WRT54G v5 and v6 ONLY steps.

I don't know how the EU models differ from the other models, maybe just the power adapter (230V)?[/i]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: