Netgear R9000 PPPoE help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
r9000help
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 13:33    Post subject: Netgear R9000 PPPoE help Reply with quote
Hello,

I can't get PPPoE to work with DD-WRT on my Netgear R9000 that I bought last week and I was hoping someone might be able to help...

I've tried 3-4 DD-WRT builds (currently using Kong's 02-09-18 ) but PPPoE will never connect.

If I put it back onto Netgears stock firmware it works fine, as does an Asus DSL-AC68U router (on stock firmware) that I'm looking to replace. I'm using the same credentials and have tried tinkering with every setting under the WAN form.

I've switched on syslog - but can't see anything in the logs that gives me a clue as to what the issue is.

Can someone help or point me in the right direction please?

Thanks. Smile
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 16:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you set it to dhcp, do you get an IP address from the modem?

If you get 192.168.1.x from the modem, set 192.168.2.1 on the LAN side.
r9000help
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
If you set it to dhcp, do you get an IP address from the modem?

If you get 192.168.1.x from the modem, set 192.168.2.1 on the LAN side.

I'm afraid not. I tried resetting the router back to factory defaults, the router IP to 192.168.2.1 and changing the WAN connection from PPPoE to DHCP - but it picked up nothing. Sad

I didn't put the version number of the DD-WRT build on my last post (just the date), but to confirm it's Kong's v3.0-r34880M std.
r9000help
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
labo wrote:
It is a fully functional dd-wrt router except the 60GHz radio. IMO it is not getting enough attention from the Devs like the R7800 gets.
Things might get better with BS's current efforts on moving to 4.14 kernel.

I think this is a bit misleading. I read this a few weeks ago and it was part of what convinced me to go for the r9000. I've since read a few other threads and tried quite a few different dd-wrt builds for it and unfortunately PPPoE (a feature that I think most would define as important in a "fully functional" router) does not appear to work. Sad

If anyone has got PPPoE to work (without going back to stock), it would be great to hear how or any pointers with how to troubleshoot it would be appreciated.
labo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 13:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you checkout this thread?
https://www.dd-wrt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=309730&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

QNAP QSW-1208-8C 12-Port 10GbE Switch
XS712T ProSafe 12-Port 10GbE Switch
3 X R9000 DD-WRT Mesh
labo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 13:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you have a working router from your ISP then try to mimic their router in R9000
3 X R9000 DD-WRT Mesh
r9000help
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 13:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
labo wrote:
Did you checkout this thread?
https://www.dd-wrt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=309730&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Thanks for the link. 802.1Q is disabled on my WAN connection settings on my working Asus router, so I can't see how VLAN's & tagging should be a factor on dd-wrt?

Regarding the rest of the settings, yes I'm replicated any that can be set via the GUI on DD-WRT to exactly what I have set on my working Asus router.

On the stock firmware on the R9000, I can't see any settings for 802.1Q or VLANs/tagging on the WAN connection - but this simply works as well?
r9000help
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
labo wrote:
It is a fully functional dd-wrt router except the 60GHz radio. IMO it is not getting enough attention from the Devs like the R7800 gets.
Things might get better with BS's current efforts on moving to 4.14 kernel.

labo wrote:
I think only few things are left now to call it as best suported router, such as PPPOE and VLAN support issues. And some folks want to switch 10Gb port for WAN.

So it's not fully functional then?

This router has been a nightmare choice for me. PPPoE doesn't work on DD-WRT and OpenVPN on the stock firmware on mine is broken (it consistently produces certificates with an expiry year of 1901). Netgear support have been pretty poor so far.

I was looking for a powerful router that supported DD-WRT to run a few concurrent VPN connections, this router is looking like a very expensive mistake. Sad
labo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
@ r9000help,
I tried to compile the issues reported by everyone so far and listed above for solution from the Devs.
I believe some folks are already using PPPOE, but BS and Kong can help to resolve this from development side.That was the intention.
We can build the momentum by more donations and participation. Smile

Also, what is the issue with OpenVPN?
I have been using OpenVPN , no issues at all. I'm using Windscribe.
If you need professioal help, you can PM Sploit who can resolve your issues for a token sum.

3 X R9000 DD-WRT Mesh
r9000help
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
labo wrote:
@ r9000help,
I tried to compile the issues reported by everyone so far and listed above for solution from the Devs.
I believe some folks are already using PPPOE, but BS and Kong can help to resolve this from development side.That was the intention.
We can build the momentum by more donations and participation. Smile

Also, what is the issue with OpenVPN?
I have been using OpenVPN , no issues at all. I'm using Windscribe.
If you need professioal help, you can PM Sploit who can resolve your issues for a token sum.

The issue I'm experiencing with the stock firmware & OpenVPN is the certificates it generates have an expiry year of 1901. So far Netgear support have had me reflashing the firmware and resetting to factory defaults, neither of which has made a difference.

My issue wasn't with your second post (compiling a list of issues seems helpful), but it was contrasting this with your original post ("It is a fully functional dd-wrt router except the 60GHz radio").

Thanks for your suggestion on Sploit, I'll send them a PM.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: