TRENDnet TEW-811DRU [experiences so far]

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
sgniwder
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 18:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
ad777 wrote:
does anyone have experience with this?
bricked my 811dru when upgrade fw, after doing pin shorting, able to get back to the TRENDnet Emergency miniWeb Server at http://192.168.10.1/ but can't loan any fw including the trendnet original fw, but can load the initial factory-to-ddwrt fw only, that fw is very unstable, whenever i changed setting, it die and i have to do 30-30-30 to get it back.
tia

Chanchu wrote:
I am new here and new to the DD-WRT.

Recently bought TRENDnet TEW-811DRU AC1200I, installed dd-wrt, firmware: DD-WRT V3.0-R27506 (7/9/15) on this router.

everything went ok, installed and running, when I try to get into the wifi settings a message comes up

A username and password are being requested by http://192.168.1.1. The site says: "DD-WRT"

tried combinations, admin/root/password, tried the 30/30/30 reset a few times but nothing is working for me to get into settings, right now its open unsecure wifi connection, it goes to connect to internet though.

also tried the router default user/pass nothing works.

somebody please help, thanks, also I do not see any 5 ghz signal either, thanks in advance.

Here is my process once I have bricked it.
1. Change computer ip's to 192.168.1.100 and 192.168.10.100
2. Open command prompt and ping to 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.10.1
3. Once the Emergency Web Server comes up -> reset default NVRAM value
4. Once it reboots, flash original Trendnet firmware
5. Reset settings to default, reboot
6. Flash to original ddwrt supported firmware
7. Reset settings to default, reboot
8. Open Putty, connect to the router's IP, login, erase nvram and commit the changes and reboot. I typically do this a few times.
9. Flash 23598m, perform steps 7 and 8
10. Flash 25408, perform steps 7 and 8
11. Flash 29396, perform steps 7 and 8
12 Flash current firmware, perform steps 7 and 8

I will note that most likely steps 9 - 11 may not be necessary, but when I have skipped some of these my settings were still present in the latest firmware. For some reason, the memory does not clear easily in this router.

TEW811DRU -r50595 mini - AP
TEW811DRU -r50595 mini - AP
Sponsor
charlie.alfaro
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 23:44    Post subject: Update on TEW-811DRU Reply with quote
So I lost access to the email account for the user "carlitos" so I created a new account.

I did post before that I have this router (3 of them one new in the box) but a few months ago I had to abandon dd-wrt and go back to the stock firmware because of stability problems.

I flashed dd-wrt again on it because I wanted to test a newer (read beta) version of the software. The reason is that I moved and the wireless router where I moved died recently. I used the router with a build from 2016. I should point out that I was using it by myself before with at least 3 computers and other wireless devices such as a bluray player, roku, tablet, cell phone, etc. The stock firmware from trendnet seemed to work well needing a reboot only a few months apart. I believe I was using r27490 dated July 6, 2015 before I went back to the stock firmware. Where I am using the router now there is way more traffic. At least 5 computers (only 2 wired) and many devices, cameras, phones, tablets, etc. First, the ethernet was flaky. The latency on the wired connection was 10 times what it used to be (from 30-40 miliseconds to almost 400). The wireless was ok for a few hours but then started failing. I would be able to access the management page once in a while and reboot the device but after a few hours it would be flaky again.

WiFi would work in some devices and not others.

I like to ask if anyone has flashed a version which has proven stable? I like to load 2 routers with DD-WRT and make the second one a repeater via a LAN cable. As of right now I am accomplishing this with the 811dru stock firmware and an older asus router which has a setting to be a repeater. The problem is that the trendnet software is not so great for limiting access controls to some users at some hours of the day. Also, I like to note that I did set up access control rules with dd-wrt, there the problem was that the router would block internet access at certain hours of the day but when the time was up it would continue blocking internet access. I had to manually unplug it to get it to work again. That would cause another problem, it would lose the time and timezone and would again/still block internet access because it was thinking it was working during the schedule when the access would be blocked.

Anyone know of a stable release?

Also, would it be safe to run the latest stable (non beta) release? even if it is a few years old?

Thank you for taking the time to read.
aperture66
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 0:38    Post subject: Re: Great 5Ghz Speed, SLOW 2.4Ghz speed Reply with quote
My friend gave me their trendnet router and I thought I can use it.
I tried the ddwrt build from trendnet and also the latest one for june 2017. but i noticed its very slow.. set it up as wireless bridge same thing. I tried flashing to stock trendnet firmware but I lost wireless AC.
What is the correct way to go back to the stock trendnet firmware?
aperture66
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
well currently using it as a wirless AP.
I've managed to replace the heatsink and added smaller heatsinks to other hotter chip.
from 85c to 90c temperatures. Now its down to 53c.
The fan on top is just running off from the usb 5v. the fan is not running at 100% speed. it slowly sucks the hot air and keep it cool.
Running the july 2017 build and so far its great.
the added external antenna gave me lots of stability and less error.

bluzfanmr1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 16:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well my $20 TRENDnet TEW-811DRU has fried and will no longer power up. It happened right after a very close lightning strike during a recent storm.

That being said, nothing else in the house was fried so maybe it was a coincidence.

Or maybe it was because it was carrying a heavy burden as I recently cut the cord and it was getting quite a workout as the main router in the house, though only providing the 5 GHz wireless since the 2.4 was useless.

Or maybe it was because I had overclocked it a few months ago.

It lasted just over 1.5 years and it was a great learning experience since it had a USB port and could run YAMon and Entware, though at $20 you obviously get what you pay for.

***RIP***TRENDnet TEW-811DRU***FRIED***

jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 16:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
bluzfanmr1 wrote:
Well my $20 TRENDnet TEW-811DRU has fried and will no longer power up. It happened right after a very close lightning strike during a recent storm.
I presume you already checked, tested, or tried another power supply? It seems unusual for a cable path strike to completely take out the router and nothing else. I had one last year that took out a LAN port on my N66 (was my GW then) and the onboard NIC of my main PC (which then caused Win10 to lose its Digital Entitlement activation due to the hardware signature change). I also discovered that it made my cable modem flaky too (would no longer work with a Gigabit connection, and the N66 Merlin has no facility to change it (including from CLI; I tried but the requisite commands did nothing). But I digress...
|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
deslatha
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
jwh7 wrote:
bluzfanmr1 wrote:
I presume you already checked, tested, or tried another power supply? . But I digress...

TRENDnet TEW-811DRU build in spike static electronic. looking a smd diode protected circuit closed to power supply jack, remover it then install new one. it should be power on. good luck.
bluzfanmr1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 19:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
jwh7 wrote:
bluzfanmr1 wrote:
I presume you already checked, tested, or tried another power supply? It seems unusual for a cable path strike to completely take out the router and nothing else. I had one last year that took out a LAN port on my N66 (was my GW then) and the onboard NIC of my main PC (which then caused Win10 to lose its Digital Entitlement activation due to the hardware signature change). I also discovered that it made my cable modem flaky too (would no longer work with a Gigabit connection, and the N66 Merlin has no facility to change it (including from CLI; I tried but the requisite commands did nothing). But I digress...

Yeah I did try another cable and no go. I might mess with it some day to try and fix it. I'm pretty sure it was either overclocking it from 800 to 1400 (dumb I know but it wasn't holding up to the strain we were putting on it) or the increased load of multiple PS Vue streams, Apple TV, Chromecast, Xbox, etc.

I was already planning on getting a new beefier router as I sensed it wouldn't hold up. I bought an Asus RT-AC66U_B1, which has a dual core 1000 MHz processor, tons of memory, AC1750 (advertised but actually AC1900 when flashed to 3rd party) and loads of features.

From what I've read, Asus took their RT-AC68U hardware and put it into this newer model and added the _B1. When I flash it I use the RT-68U software. After flashing I'm getting AC1900 (2.4GHz 600 + 5GHz 1300), as advertised by the RT-AC68U model.

It's been doing one hell of a job so far. I thought I would stay with the Merlin software, but after just a day or so I realized I'm too hooked on dd-wrt. The OEM software and Merlin software are really great too but dd-wrt works best for me, and I get to try out Kong for the first time!

***RIP***TRENDnet TEW-811DRU***FRIED***

phoenixforce
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 17:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
I may have actually bricked this router permanently. I was trying to update DD-WRT firmware on the device and it would not work. I accidentally uploaded firmware for an entirely different device using the emergency web server. After doing this I was able to get back to the emergency web server without issue and uploaded the latest beta build available for the router. After that I did 30/30/30 reset and now have no communication at all. Cannot get to the emergency web server. I tried shorting the pins but seemed to have no effect. I also did some Wireshark and couldn't anything useful in the capture. The device never replies to pings. I'm looking toward serial recovery but not really sure what commands I would need to enter if I got that far. I have read through how-to's for several other router models but not any information specific to this one. Can anyone comment on the basic steps?
angler
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
loading the latest beta was probably not recommended - some of those exceed 8MB, also the 30-30-30 isn't needed

phoenixforce wrote:
I may have actually bricked this router permanently. I was trying to update DD-WRT firmware on the device and it would not work. I accidentally uploaded firmware for an entirely different device using the emergency web server. After doing this I was able to get back to the emergency web server without issue and uploaded the latest beta build available for the router. After that I did 30/30/30 reset and now have no communication at all. Cannot get to the emergency web server. I tried shorting the pins but seemed to have no effect. I also did some Wireshark and couldn't anything useful in the capture. The device never replies to pings. I'm looking toward serial recovery but not really sure what commands I would need to enter if I got that far. I have read through how-to's for several other router models but not any information specific to this one. Can anyone comment on the basic steps?
macexperts
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 17:18    Post subject: dnscrypt possible? Reply with quote
hi, has anyone been able to setup dnscrypt on these units? I don't see it in any settings - does it exist in the mini builds?

TIA

PS: I'm on build 3.0-r31924 5/2017
macexperts
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
angler wrote:
loading the latest beta was probably not recommended - some of those exceed 8MB, also the 30-30-30 isn't needed

phoenixforce wrote:

So you don't suggest the 2018 builds due to size? 4/2018 build is 8813k - what is the issue with this size? thanks
macexperts
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 17:31    Post subject: Re: cannot change DDNS information Reply with quote
macexperts wrote:
hi, on the tew-811DRU
suddenly i cannot change the DDNS information
i can type into the fields and change the pulldown menu to CUSTOM but save and apply keys do not function

i tried about 6 browsers and on one lesser used browser you can see briefly 'script error' flash by - all other browsers the page does nothing when you try to update info

i went back to 2015 builds and i'm on todays build 2/27 and no dice - i tried about 6 builds randomly

i can't remember when the last time i modified the DDNS fields was but it is not default setting - i probably last modified it when i set it up with dd-wrt initially which has been a while

any ideas other than a full reset and hours of programming everything back?

thanks and best regards to everyone
In case anyone else has this issue it did require a fresh load of a build along with fully reprogramming all the parameters (in my case a lot of things have to be set which is a long and tedious process.
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
macexperts wrote:
So you don't suggest the 2018 builds due to size? 4/2018 build is 8813k - what is the issue with this size? thanks
The 811DRU only has 8MB flash.
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/TRENDnet_TEW-811DRU

|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
macexperts
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
jwh7 wrote:
macexperts wrote:
The 811DRU only has 8MB flash.
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/TRENDnet_TEW-811DRU
so the update procedure must copy it into operating memory then try to flash it on the reboot and it runs out of space? i'm glad i looked on the forum before i touched any updates - my builds been working since i re did it all previously

the worse problem is the cpu runs at boiling temperate - it's been operating just fine this way

so i'm trying to rig up an old case fan and let it run top to bottom

i may have to do some cutting if that's not enough i suppose - i'm really surprised how hot it stays even hanging on a wall away from anything else

Last edited by macexperts on Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:02; edited 1 time in total
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 8 of 11
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: