Lease not renewing properly, causing disconnects.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
t0t0fe0
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:05    Post subject: Lease not renewing properly, causing disconnects. Reply with quote
Hello, Please help me identify what might be causing this, i'm not very networking savvy but i'll try and explain best i can.

Through googling i found out some isps issue a 24 hour lease and there is a 12 hour interval in which it renews...i got there because i would disconnect twice a day at the very same time, and each time i had to manually go to Status/Wan and manually request a DHCP renew or i have to wait for the 5 minute Remaining Lease Time to automatically renew it once it reaches 2:30 so i'd be disconnected and be without internet for two minutes unless i manually renew it.

So that's my problem, something causing my router not to handle the renews properly?
I've already tried some suggestions i found online like adding..
Code:
iptables -I INPUT -p udp --sport 67 --dport 68 -j ACCEPT
to Administrator/commands->Save firewall.
Disabling SPI firewall.
flashing different dd-wrt firmware.

I also read there's a way to constantly ping google with a script and if it doesn't respond it could send a dhcp renew automatically. Wondering if someone could help me set that up if all else fails.

Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r33492 big (10/10/17)
Sponsor
t0t0fe0
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 20:53    Post subject: Re: Lease not renewing properly, causing disconnects. Reply with quote
Thank you!

I'll report back if it changes anything.

t0t0fe0
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
It unfortunately happened again. if it's worth mentioning at the moment i disconnected i was looking at the remaining lease time and it went past the usual renew time which is always at 2:30 mark, it refreshed itself automatically at around ~0:50 and connection came back up. guess that explains why the disconnects always happen ~2-3minutes ahead each time.

t0t0fe0
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:

Lesson learned; a properly functioning DHCP renewal process depends on having accurate time. And sometimes ppl don't notice that their router's time setting is actually not correct.

Interesting, though the time at the top right on my page seems to be synced properly, the only one that is off is the one shown in syslog, the minute is correct but off by ~4 hours. dunno if that causes any issues.
also looking at syslog there are yellow highlighted stuff like
Code:
user.warn igmpproxy[22684]: The origin for route 239.255.255.250 changed from 192.168.10.166 to 192.168.10.11

and
Code:
user.warn igmpproxy[22283]: select() failure; Errno(4): Interrupted system call

been wondering what those are.

tedm
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Normally ISP's do not cut off connectivity when a remote client expires and doesn't immediately renew.

Something sounds borked here with the ISP.

What NORMALLY happens with DHCP is your router issues a renew on an existing IP then the ISP's DHCP server approves that. It sounds like the ISP is denying that. The DHCP client is then expected to issue a request for a new IP. That isn't normal and dd-wrt may be confused about this and not issuing the request for new IP. The ISP may have hacked their DHCP server to do this in order to prevent people from treating a dynamically assigned IP address as a static IP that is configured in dydns.org.

You can fix this problem easily by use of a 24 hour lamp timer. Have it power off the router at 3am wen you are sleeping then power it back on 20 minutes later.

If this is unacceptable then I have to assume it's unacceptable because you are running a server, and you are battling your ISP's attempt to prevent you from using a dynamic IP as a static IP. Let's have a little more transparency, please.
t0t0fe0
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
tedm wrote:

You can fix this problem easily by use of a 24 hour lamp timer. Have it power off the router at 3am wen you are sleeping then power it back on 20 minutes later.

If this is unacceptable then I have to assume it's unacceptable because you are running a server, and you are battling your ISP's attempt to prevent you from using a dynamic IP as a static IP. Let's have a little more transparency, please.

I appreciate you thinking i can run a server but that's not the case Very Happy , i simply have the router hooked to my pc for my own use, also don't have static ip setup on dd-wrt.

Beginning to think this issue is likely not dd-wrt's fault.
An acceptable fix for me would be to make this script work from the dd-wrt wiki. https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Useful_Scripts#Automatic_Connection_Repair
Like where do i put it in the dd-wrt gui? & how do i change how frequently it pings?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: