wrt3200 users - can we regroup?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Gazooo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:12    Post subject: WRT line is crap. Reply with quote
Even my Dir-878 running DDWRT (that only cost me 100 bucks new) performs better and is more stable than my WRT1900AC v1 ever was using DDWRT, OPENWRT, LEDE or Gargoyle).

I feel bad for you guys getting the same promises of a stable driver for wrt3200 series now.

Save yourself the headache and get something else. You will be happy you did!
Sponsor
LookingForMyMojo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 14:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
JoeyDee wrote:
I'm curious, why are you guys moving to other consumer routers instead of a prosumer AP like an Ubiquiti?

Have to pick what works individually.

At any rate, another big issue with me and the WRT series, is I am also an avid gamer. latency is a big issue, the ASUS AC86U has an excellant QOS setting for gaming.

My ping has never been this low.

Flashed it with rmerlin, and i have TOR working, trend micro security, torrent manger, it is just nuts.

https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=312142&highlight=ac86u
myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
JoeyDee wrote:
I'm curious, why are you guys moving to other consumer routers instead of a prosumer AP like an Ubiquiti?

Obviously, looking at my sig, I know about Ubiquiti. I also like to play with routers and Ubiquiti doesn't allow me to install 3rd party, if I remember correctly.

I had a very solid network with the Netgear r7000. Must admit that I fell in love with the WRT's because of the look and remembering having solid wrt54g's. Unfortunately first Cisco then Belkin have made the Linksys name a name to be scorned rather then a name to be wanted. Have never seen any other company do so poorly in supporting the 3rd party developers and on top of that they still do not have solid OEM firmware for the WRT3200 and this is going on 2 years now. Firmware they have today is where they should have been starting from when first ship so that by now things would be solid. The WRT3200 will probably be my last Linksys product and would tell anyone who asks to stay away from them. My experience has been similar with Asus routers, never get a stable firmware. If not for RMerlin there would not be good firmware for them. So back I go to Netgear when the r8000 shows up. And yes I will be installing DD-WRT on it.
--bill

ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
128bit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
LookingForMyMojo wrote:
JoeyDee wrote:

Have to pick what works individually.

At any rate, another big issue with me and the WRT series, is I am also an avid gamer. latency is a big issue, the ASUS AC86U has an excellant QOS setting for gaming.

My ping has never been this low.

Flashed it with rmerlin, and i have TOR working, trend micro security, torrent manger, it is just nuts.

asus is known for dropped connections on many if not most of their routers. that would drive me nuts when watching a movie. i'm considering the ac2300/7000p.

LookingForMyMojo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
no dropped connections here, streaming high def all the time now, gaming at the same time. Just awesome!

05dyna
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 18:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
JoeyDee wrote:

In my case for the same reason I never looked into doing a PFsense router, can’t justify running another pc 24/7/365 nor do I have a reason to purchase a dedicated AP when dd-wrt serves me well in both roles as router & AP very. I have a <1200 square foot home and dd-wrt retail routers have never failed me as a router or as AP. Yes there have been some bumps along the way with the WRT series but personally if I’m adding devices and I have a choice between Wi-Fi and Ethernet I'm going to do Ethernet every time.

LookingForMyMojo wrote:
no dropped connections here, streaming high def all the time now, gaming at the same time. Just awesome!
dd-wrt & Tomato are built for features while Merlin is built for performance without all the bells & whistles. I gave Merlin a try on an ASUS TM-AC1900 (T-Mobile cobranded router) that I converted to an RT-AC68U. The old RT-AC68U’s are nothing like what you have now but wireless performance on the old RT-AC68U was excellent. Those old RT-AC68U's are still getting $70(US) and up on ebay even though they are getting old now. If you could get by w/o all the features you'll never have another problem
LookingForMyMojo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
@05dyna

I hear you, but not one feature missing with merlin.

Best experience with a router since my WRT1900ACv1 !!

LookingForMyMojo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 20:21    Post subject: Re: WRT line is crap. Reply with quote
Gazooo wrote:
Even my Dir-878 running DDWRT (that only cost me 100 bucks new) performs better and is more stable than my WRT1900AC v1 ever was using DDWRT, OPENWRT, LEDE or Gargoyle).

I feel bad for you guys getting the same promises of a stable driver for wrt3200 series now.

Save yourself the headache and get something else. You will be happy you did!

agreed. Hanging on to the WRT's now and "hoping" for something different is bordering on silly.

05dyna
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
LookingForMyMojo wrote:
@05dyna

Unless I missed it when I tried Merlin didn’t see Remote Access via SSH with Authorized Key? Correct me if I’m wrong.
aairon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mine is just sitting here consuming electricity and I'm about to disconnect it and put it to work for a friend who just needs a Ethernet switch, better then smashing it but it uses a ton of power for just a switch lol, it's only temporary until he picks one up.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
05dyna wrote:
LookingForMyMojo wrote:
@05dyna

Unless I missed it when I tried Merlin didn’t see Remote Access via SSH with Authorized Key? Correct me if I’m wrong.

you stand corrected

128bit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
guys (assuming we're all men here), this is great info. i've been on the fence about mothballing the 3200acm. had a wonderful time with my 1900ac v1, though.

i know u guys are bz and have lots to do BUT, this kind of feedback is immeasurable! there's nothing like experience from end-users.

we're losing if not already lost at least 2 gurus on the 3200acm device - not good. i get it cause there comes a time when enough is enough! i don't have much faith in belkin/linksys.

this thread has proven to be much more informative than i ever hoped. i'm going to revisit that asus router once more. i thought its native interface was exceptional.

hell, THIS FORUM IS EXCEPTIONAL!! but i'm not too surprised since i've worked with people like u for about 40 yrs.

05dyna
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
LookingForMyMojo wrote:
05dyna wrote:
LookingForMyMojo wrote:
@05dyna

you stand corrected

its in there?
128bit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 0:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
05dyna wrote:
its in there?

yeah, you and i both are paying attention. if you look at amazon, you'll see tons of feedback for asus. unfortunately, it's clumped together for all their routers. i may not go broke buying yet another $200 router but i don't need another headache either.

when i see a knowledgeable person's comments, it gets my attention. if the ac86u works, i could be convinced. i've sold all my other routers pretty close to what i paid for them, so the expense is of less concern than its ras (reliability/availability/serviceability). i may be dating myself with that term but i bet myersw has familiarity. Smile

asus is terrible with service.

. . . given a choice i really would prefer asus.

LookingForMyMojo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 0:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
05dyna wrote:
LookingForMyMojo wrote:
05dyna wrote:
LookingForMyMojo wrote:
@05dyna

you stand corrected

its in there?

i don't use it. BUT:

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/SSHD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 7
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: