wrt3200 users - can we regroup?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
128bit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 18:16    Post subject: wrt3200 users - can we regroup? Reply with quote
we have the ability to define a "more" stable build. is it possible that there is another since the venerable 31924?

what we do very well is discuss problems but for the many, i suspect things ain't that bad. i personally use nas and guest access. my vpn is external to the router and with the exception of a 5 ghz problem every now and again, it's really ok.

perhaps we can start by:
    defining "stable" - maybe, 720 hrs without a reboot?
    listing fixes in the latest build. even a url would be helpful
    having a specific topic for the latest build - limited to success or failure. i believe the broadcom section does this.

[soapbox on:]
i've been reading this blog for years now but have never seen such frustration. no doubt, linksys has been a disappointment but this board has always been about polishing the turd. will it be perfect? unlikely, but many still hang on to the brand. hell, even i'm considering the 7000p!
the efforts by those well trained are appreciated. i'm sensing a malise after countless woes and letdowns with linksys. u gurus and advanced users are our obi-wans (hope for those too young to remember star wars).
[soapbox off:]

either way, i applaud all of your efforts.

Sponsor
LookingForMyMojo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have my 1900acv2 and 3200, waiting for waste disposal.........

I'm wondering if Brainslayer could weigh in and advise if in his expertise, he thinks there is potential. KONG threw in the towel, so it doesn't look promising.

https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=312142&highlight=ac86u
myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
I personally have not had the issues some others seem to have. Have always wondered how much is actually due to the wrt3200, in my case, or to error on the part of the persons experience implementing the wireless configuration and understanding that there are many outside infrequencers to what to expect of a wireless connection. Wink In my case I do the basics. Wireless support on 2.4 and 5 and routing. No VPN no NAS, have a NAS for that which is much better support then you can get from the 3200. Things do seem to be getting better. Thankfully Brainslayer has been working with Marvel if you check the git. Am currenly running a build he made for some testing of new drivers and is running well. Sorry I have lost the web link.

Have followed the mess for over a year now and things do seem to be getting much better only used Linksys firmware if I wanted to have a stable (?) network when I first got the wrt3200. One thing I do not understand is on another forum Linksys stated that they were using an enterprise class wireless chip. If that is the case you would expect that Marvel would be doing much better then has been exhibited both the Linksys OEM firmware as well as what the 3rd party devs are given in the way of chip firmware and drivers.

ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
05dyna
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
LookingForMyMojo wrote:

I'm wondering if Brainslayer could weigh in and advise if in his expertise, he thinks there is potential. KONG threw in the towel, so it doesn't look promising.

Then with all due respect you should trash it and move on if this is causing you that much grief. I think we all understand there is a risk-reward factor with going with open source FW and if the WRT's aren’t doing it for you then load the factory firmware back on and resell it or trash it and be done with it.

At the risk of splitting hairs as far as Kong’s support you are correct he dropped support for the 1200 & 1900’s but let’s be clear the topic title is wrt3200 users - can we regroup which brings up the point KONG never supported the wrt3200 so there was no towel thrown-in on the 3200 because Kong never offered supported for the 3200. And FWIW just in case you missed an earlier post a few months back Kong did repost a build for the WRT1200 back in October after removing support for both the 1900's & 1200. Don’t know why the 1200 was selected for return to but it’s up on his ftp (at the time of this post) but no updates since October. http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-MVEBU/
128bit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 22:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
myersw wrote:
I personally have not had the issues some others seem to have. Have always wondered how much is actually due to the wrt3200, in my case, or to error on the part of the persons experience implementing the wireless configuration and understanding that there are many outside infrequencers to what to expect of a wireless connection. Wink In my case I do the basics. Wireless support on 2.4 and 5 and routing. No VPN no NAS, have a NAS for that which is much better support then you can get from the 3200. Things do seem to be getting better. Thankfully Brainslayer has been working with Marvel if you check the git. Am currenly running a build he made for some testing of new drivers and is running well. Sorry I have lost the web link.

Have followed the mess for over a year now and things do seem to be getting much better only used Linksys firmware if I wanted to have a stable (?) network when I first got the wrt3200. One thing I do not understand is on another forum Linksys stated that they were using an enterprise class wireless chip. If that is the case you would expect that Marvel would be doing much better then has been exhibited both the Linksys OEM firmware as well as what the 3rd party devs are given in the way of chip firmware and drivers.

i really needed to read that. you've been a rock on this forum, dude. don't stop

LookingForMyMojo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 23:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
05dyna wrote:
LookingForMyMojo wrote:

Then with all due respect you should trash it and move on if this is causing you that much grief. I think we all understand there is a risk-reward factor with going with open source FW and if the WRT's aren’t doing it for you then load the factory firmware back on and resell it or trash it and be done with it.

At the risk of splitting hairs as far as Kong’s support you are correct he dropped support for the 1200 & 1900’s but let’s be clear the topic title is wrt3200 users - can we regroup which brings up the point KONG never supported the wrt3200 so there was no towel thrown-in on the 3200 because Kong never offered supported for the 3200. And FWIW just in case you missed an earlier post a few months back Kong did repost a build for the WRT1200 back in October after removing support for both the 1900's & 1200. Don’t know why the 1200 was selected for return to but it’s up on his ftp (at the time of this post) but no updates since October. http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-MVEBU/

with the same respect.
no worries, it is done.

Asus AC86U, same cpu clock as the 3200 -dual 1.8. Stock firmware has incredible speeds, stability, etc.
And only $230.00 CAD !!!

take care all.

https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=312142&highlight=ac86u
05dyna
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 23:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
@LookingForMyMojo- too bad it didn’t work out for you. You’re an asset to the forum & enjoyed your postings. Good luck to you.
128bit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 0:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Asus AC86U, same cpu clock as the 3200 -dual 1.8. Stock firmware has incredible speeds, stability, etc.
And only $230.00 CAD !!!

take care all.

. . . sorry to see you go but out of curiosity,
    what made you choose the asus over netgear or the others?
    do you plan on using dd-wrt on the asus device? it appears that it's more tedious going back to stock with asus.
i looked at the pcmag comparison with the 3200acm and to me, the difference is not very significant. all my devices stream fine but i do have ONE weather device that only likes stock firmware.

myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
128bit wrote:
myersw wrote:

i really needed to read that. you've been a rock on this forum, dude. don't stop

Thanks, but I maybe moving on as well. Ordered Netgear r8000 off of Ebay today. Getting tired of 2 years of still no good driver from Marvel. Don't think Linksys/Marvel are really into putting out a quality product. Their OEM firmware still has issues and then the 3rd party support is even worse. With the Netgear I can get back to Kong builds as well as Brainslayer.

128bit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
myersw wrote:
128bit wrote:
myersw wrote:

Thanks, but I maybe moving on as well. Ordered Netgear r8000 off of Ebay today. Getting tired of 2 years of still no good driver from Marvel. Don't think Linksys/Marvel are really into putting out a quality product. Their OEM firmware still has issues and then the 3rd party support is even worse. With the Netgear I can get back to Kong builds as well as Brainslayer.

lol - no really, i am. when cisco dropped linksys that was a clue re corporate investment in a low-end consumer device. then when belkin picked it up, that may have been the stake through the heart. i too was shopping over the weekend. netgear was a pos back in the 90s but asus seems to have random disconnects with their entire line! so like you, i'm considering giving netgear a shot - will read more

you've been great, bill. i suspect you'll dd-wrt the r8000, so don't be surprised if i ping you on the other side. Smile

myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
128bit wrote:

you've been great, bill. i suspect you'll dd-wrt the r8000, so don't be surprised if i ping you on the other side. Smile

Had netgear r7000 before the wrt3200. Was a lot more solid then the wrt3200. I figure the r8000 will be a step back to solid network support.

128bit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
myersw wrote:
128bit wrote:

Had netgear r7000 before the wrt3200. Was a lot more solid then the wrt3200. I figure the r8000 will be a step back to solid network support.

yep, i've been considering the r7000p/ac2300. been reading this stuff https://routersecurity.org/bugs.php as well. i'm sure you're well aware.

myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
128bit wrote:

yep, i've been considering the r7000p/ac2300. been reading this stuff https://routersecurity.org/bugs.php as well. i'm sure you're well aware.

One of the reasons that I run 3rd party router firmware is so that I don't need to worry as much about security holes then waiting for vendor to patch if they ever do.

Another reason I like the 3rd party firmware is normally have more control over the router/network.

JoeyDee
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm curious, why are you guys moving to other consumer routers instead of a prosumer AP like an Ubiquiti?
128bit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
JoeyDee wrote:
I'm curious, why are you guys moving to other consumer routers instead of a prosumer AP like an Ubiquiti?

the short answer for me is ignorance! i know when it's over my head. sure, i could dig in but after 40 yrs of hw + sw development, i'm spent. so these days, i play beta tester cause i can't completely give it all up.

. . . but now u've got my attention - tell us more.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 7
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: