Linksys Tri-Band EA9500 AC5400 Router Firmware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
GTgamo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 0:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
So gent's is this a dead issue for the 9500, with LEDE being the only option via serial cable?
Sponsor
mommyfixit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 15:03    Post subject: Please tell me it ain't so Reply with quote
I am also wondering if there is any hope. I love my network speed and the propagation with this router, but I need DD-WRT. Is there anything that can be done?
linbox
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:59    Post subject: installed Lede on EA9500 Reply with quote
I did install LEDE and it seems to be working fine

The serial cable installation was pretty straight forward similar to the EA8500 with newer stock firmware. I read about here:
Quote:

So very unfortunately, there will be no possible way of getting ddwrt on to the Linksys EA9500. Although we have developed dd-wrt for it, it will not be able to work as the firmware for both the models (v1 having a dual core broadcom northstar cpu. And v2 having arm 64 quadcore cpu) are encrypted and signed via pgp. A sad day indeed Sad

I don't understand how LEDE gets around this. Does LEDE have access to signed/encrypted firmware?
ms72588n
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 0:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any update on this? Smile
shaharyarz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:30    Post subject: Linksys Firmware Header to upload through Linksys UI Reply with quote
I hope there's been some movement on this. In the OpenWRT forums they've managed to use the header of the linksys firmware with the OpenWRT firmware to be able to upload it directly from the Linksys UI. I'm sure DDWRT can be uploaded the same way.

If there's any build for EA9500 v1 I'm willing to upload it through serial to test it out and can share any files needed.
sairy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi guys

I have a Linksys EA9400 v1, can I use the DD-WRT firmware of EA9500 to flash for my EA9400? Will it work? Thanks
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 16:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
EA9500 is not officially supported by DD-WRT AFAIK.

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

"TBD Donation Router Needed"

Donate a router and/or do the homework and submit to the developer:

https://dd-wrt.com/donations/

https://dd-wrt.com/router-detection/

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
i still have no hardware details about that device. if its broadcom, send me a nvram and cfe backup. thats all for the beginning and i can find out more of it. if its something else, i again need more details

This is the homework you need to submit to Brainslayer.

I don't know the secret sauce of coaxing this info out from a router because there is some trickery involved in saving the files when they're copied. and it's not a one size fits every router deal...

I'd be happy to update the cfe wiki with more details, but you can start there.

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
wifijunkie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would be happy to donate the money so that one may be purchased.

Here in the US they're available on eBay at $150, give or take.

If someone can quote me what an EA9500 might cost in Germany (via eBay or other), I'll donate the appropriate US$ via Paypal so that the purchase can be made in Germany. This avoids the problem of me having to ship it there from the US / customs.

DD-WRT has been a great tool for me on my routers. Now I want to give something back.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 0:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://forum.openwrt.org/t/build-for-linksys-ea9500/1817

There are three versions of EA9500 and are all Broadcom, see page 4.

Better off donating to general cause and focusing on Atheros hardware.

See R7800, R9000 with cheaper used alternatives R7500v2 or EA8500.

Don't get me wrong, more hardware support is great but this one fizzled.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Or just buy one off Amazon.de and have it shipped to BrainSlayer (Google Linksys EA9500 amazon.de):

https://www.amazon.de/Linksys-EA9500-EU-MU-MIMO-Gigabit-Wireless/dp/B01A9EPPII

Otherwise, eBay and ship it/them yourself or do the homework we've been telling people to do and submit it. Moved the topic to Broadcom since now we know for sure all versions are Broadcom. We're 5 pages or so in, and no test firmware images yet...

Linksys Official Support - EA9500 Downloads

inksys Official Support - GPL Code Center

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
wifijunkie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies, folks.

Judging by the number of posts in this thread in the past 5+ years and "reading the tea leaves", I get the impression that there's just not enough interest in porting DD-WRT onto the EA9500.

I'm donating US$100 (84 euro via Paypal, to NewMedia-NET GmbH) to promote development on existing and / or more promising platforms. As noted by blkt perhaps it's better to focus resources to get more bang for the buck.

Cheers, and thanks to all who support DD-WRT.

Last edited by wifijunkie on Sun Mar 07, 2021 0:42; edited 1 time in total
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 19:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh wow there is a fourth version EA9500S v1.0, a revised EA9500 v2.0, so bad sign to see these revisions.

Even worse to see Linksys has not updated v2.0 or S stock firmware in 3 years (v1.0 or v1.1 are updated).

https://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/Linksys-EA9500-amp-EA9500S/td-p/1323655

This reminds me of the Linksys Marvell WRT disaster (1200/1900/3200/32X). Marvell sold Wi-Fi/BT to NXP.
wifijunkie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 0:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Reflecting back on my prior posts to this thread...

I *did* check eBay for some EA9500s, thinking I might buy one for BS and noticed a surprising number of them were for sale as "parts only". Hmm. That struck me as a little odd.

Then blkt posted a link (above) to a Linksys site that tells a similar tale... problems with the EA9500.

Probably best to stop talking about the EA9500, now.

Mod note 01.17.24: The following associated topics have been linked here and locked to keep discussion in one place. -kp69

Linksys EA9500
<Kong> wrote:
There are no test build and also none planned as we do not have this unit. The time where a simple dump allowed to port a unit is over, nowadays units have too many differences and a test sample is always required.

I'm also not sure if linksys allows flashing 3rd party software on these models.

Linksys EA9500 support?
shaharyarz wrote:
In the OpenWRT forums theyve figured out a way to use the linksys firmware trailer to upload the OpenWRT firmware directly into the device from the stock UI. It would be amazing if ddwrt did something similar. I know theres quite a few people out there who have this device and are waiting for ddwrt support.

There is also this current inquiry into the progress (open for now):

Linksys EA9500 progress
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Display posts from previous:    Page 5 of 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: