Cheap DD-WRT compatible WiFi router w/gigabit ethernet

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Search & Find, Sales & Offers
BungieCord
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 0:02    Post subject: Cheap DD-WRT compatible WiFi router w/gigabit ethernet Reply with quote
Despite the cautions about its stability, I rolled the dice and bought a refurbed TP-Link WR1043ND v1, which was adequate to my needs ... for as long as it lasted. After a few months it got flaky and I started swapping it back-and-forth with Old Faithful, my LinkSys WRT-54GS that I've been running since right after Sherman burned Atlanta. The TP-Link still works, sometimes for days, sometimes for weeks, but sometimes only for minutes before it crashes and won't reboot (power light only). That's when I swap to the LinkSys for a bit. The problem is, now the WAN port on the LinkSys is getting flaky (and here was me thinking my WRT-54 was indestructible) so I have no choice but to get off the pot and buy another router.

I need a gigabit WAN port because my Internet speed is more than fast ethernet can handle, as well as gigabit ethernet to support the internal transfer speeds of my NASs. N-band WiFi is adequate and at least one USB port would be useful but USB isn't a deal-breaker. I get by fine with just the 2.4 GHz band. That's really my entire wish list except that there has to be DD-WRT firmware for it (naturally), and it needs to be cheap. Another TP-Link WR1043ND that sells for about a nickel would be ideal, but only if it stood to be more reliable.

I do find the WR1043ND V3s available (new) for ~$40, which is about $39.95 over my budget, but I might have to loosen the purse strings a bit. I've also found a D-Link DIR-835 for $30, which also ticks all the MUST HAVE boxes and is $10 less over budget than the TP-Link.

I was looking at a review of the DIR-835 at smallnetbuilder, and in comparing it to the WNDR3700 they remarked that the Netgear was better enough than the D-Link that it was worth the extra $50 (MSRP?), but I find them on eBay for just $53 new, which is only $23 more than the best price I find on the DIR-835 refurbed.

New or refurbed makes little difference to me since I'm probably going to void any warranty by flashing it to DD-WRT anyway. But that also begs the question, what happens to the superiority that smallnetbuilder found in the WNDR3700 if both routers were running DD-WRT?

Anyway, that's enough of me talking. I'd appreciate your advice and or observations on the matter. And I'm not married to any of these routers, so if you know a better deal that I've overlooked, please let me know (especially if it only costs a nickel).

**The TP-Link is on DD-WRT v24SP2-(03/25/13) std build 2106 firmware, so if there's a better option that might cure my crashing problem, please enlighten me.
Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 0:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you look here http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311930

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well okay then, ....

No, I had not seen that, but now that you have my attention ...

I'm unfamiliar with either of those models so while I fumble around looking for tech information and reviews, mind if I ask how much service each has seen? And I presume you'll warranty them at least against DOA?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have no idea how long they've been used. I bought them used and converted the asus and flashed kong's on the buffalo.
I know they work. Lol
I can guarantee they won't arrive dead because they are working now. If shipped with usps priority mail, they will be covered for at least $50 if damaged.

When looking up reviews for the asus look up rt-ac68u. That's what it is now except I used the cfe from the rt-ac68p because dd-wrt would throttle the CPU to 800mhz if the cfe for the rt-ac68u was used.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you tested a different power supply (! plus/minus and voltage must be correct!)? Or do you have a multimeter? I have read, that there was a series of bad TN power supplies.

May be the vendor of your TP-Link WR1043ND v1 can borrow another power supply for testing purposes.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Search & Find, Sales & Offers All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: