"AP Isolation" always active

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
thomas-hn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 13:16    Post subject: "AP Isolation" always active Reply with quote
Hello,

I'm using the firmware DD-WRT v3.0-r34311 mega (12/29/17) on an Asus RT-N66U.
Under Wireless - Basic Settings a Virtual Interface (wl0.1) is created for a seperate WiFi network. The option "AP Isolation" is set to "Disable".
Even with AP Isolation set to disable, the devices in the WiFi cannot reach each other.

Any ideas? Where can I check inside the DD-WRT Linux system if the option is set correctly? (for the case it is only an issue with the visualization)

Any further ideas what could be the issue?

Thanks in advance,

Thomas
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 19:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
nvram show | grep _ap_isolate

You should see wl0.1_ap_isolate=0
thomas-hn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
What I read is:
wl0.1_ap_isolate=0

Is there another option to check which could influence that the host cannot ping eachother?
hubermania
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
nvram show | grep ap_isolate

There is an additional AP Isolation option on the Wireless->Advanced tab(s).

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 19:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
All of the "ap_isolate" options I find with nvram show are set to 0.
Also the options under Wireless - Advanced.

Confused
dragoness
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:51    Post subject: ditto Reply with quote
I am running Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r34311 big (12/29/17) on an Asus RT-N66U. I appear to be having the exact same issue as you are having. This was not an issue with the previous version of ddwrt I had on there (a couple years old). I have tried disabling/enabling/re-disabling AP isolation. It also appears to be a *bit* sporadic. I can occasionally ping some devices on the wireless network just after the router boots, and can sometimes even operate my Sonos speakers, but anything that uses multicast is totally out, and I cannot connect between devices via ssh/anything else I have tried.

It is a bit frustrating to debug since *sometimes* a few pings will make it to some random subset of devices, and then not a few minutes later, or after another reboot. All devices appear to have no issue connecting out to the internet.

If you track anything down please report Smile
JAMESMTL
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
sounds like a regression of the ap isolation issue that popped up nov-dec (ish). if a kong build (latest test) is available for your device, you may want to give it a try
discerr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm also running 34311 on an RT-AC66U, and I can confirm that AP isolation appears to be occurring; I can't cast to my Chromecast (on my 2.4GHz AP) from my laptop (on my 5GHz AP). If my laptop connects to my 2.4GHz network, casting works fine.
adamjmacdonald
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm running v3.0-r34411 mega on e3000 and also cannot cast to my chromecast, even after rebooting both devices. HP wireless printer goes offline while wifi connection is maintained and nothing in sys/kern logs. The chromecast gets its weather updates and wallpapers, just can't cast to it on the network.
dragoness
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 17:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just an update with the things I tried recently - The entire point of the upgrade was to join the world of devices not vulnerable to KRACK, however, I tried each and every build since the one that fixed KRACK (that were supported for my device) - and each one of them failed to allow my devices on wifi to chat with each other. I also tried a couple from the Oct '17 timeframe before the KRACK patch, also... no luck.

Finally I jumped *all* the way back to the Aug 3 build, and that works. Unfortunately.. I guess that (or maybe I can find a slightly newer one) is where I will have to stay since none of the KRACK fixed versions allow my network to work Sad

Wanted to post in case anyone else wants to fall back - since the aug 3 versions actually DO WORK.
thomas-hn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Before I updated to dd-wrt.v24-34311_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega_RT-N66U the version dd-wrt.v24-33006_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega_RT-N66U was used which did NOT have this issue and which also was from August.

How to proceed with this issue?
cbhack13
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can confirm that the same issue occurs on my Linksys E2500 v3 with build dd-wrt.v24-34311_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega-e2500.bin. Weirdly, I found that if I disconnected any two devices from the wireless lan and then reconnected both of them, each of those two devices could reach the other without problems for usually an hour or two; then all of a sudden pings to any wireless client on the lan resulted in "Destination Host Unreachable" even though they all still showed up in the webGUI's list of active clients. If memory serves, I did not have this problem with devices that had a wired ethernet connection to the router (to be expected I guess, if it's somehow AP isolation-related). My (port forwarded) LAMP server remained accessible from the public internet throughout all this, and all devices had outgoing internet access with no issues. AP isolation was turned off in the GUI and nvram show | grep _ap_isolate returned wl0.1_ap_isolate=0.

As others have said, downgrading to build dd-wrt.v24-33006_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega-e2500.bin fixed this issue and seems to be running fine. I haven't tried any builds more recent than that.
crowrt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
I recently installed DD-WRT on my Linksys E3000 to fix the KRACK bug. I previously had other custom firmware installed.

Everything seemed to be working perfectly but yesterday I realized could not access my Chromecast. It has been connected to the network since I set everything up. It has Internet access and is receiving screen/version updates. However, I can't access it from the Google Home app or any other device on my network.

I've changed every setting I can think of and just when I think I have the issue fixed, the Chromecast disappears again. It could be an AP isolation issue but my gut tells me it's a multicast issue. I've tried IGMP snooping but it doesn't help.

Does anyone have any ideas about what the exact issue is and/or how to fix it?
rashire
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for reporting this it has been driving me crazy, RT-AC66U on BS build 34311, having issues with all my google home/chromecasts. If its running in isolation mode it makes a lot of sense.

This install was a full factory reset and manual reconfigure, here's the result of nvram isolate settings.

nvram show | grep _ap_isolate
size: 37664 bytes (224480 left)
wl0_ap_isolate=0
wl1_ap_isolate=0
wl0.1_ap_isolate=0
wl_ap_isolate=0

Flashed back to 33555, issue went away.
RobTheGob
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've had the same issues with two Chromecasts (v1 & v2), on my E4200's. I can only get them to work if I roll back to builds before the KRACk fix.

I'm currently running dd-wrt.v24-34411_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega-e4200 and can't reliably connect to my Chromecasts.

This bug may be related: http://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/6120

Not much action in it - I doubt anybody is working on it... I'm not sure where else to report DD-WRT bugs?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: