NTP/Time settings not working on 3200ACM and 1900ACSV2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
ericb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 13:30    Post subject: NTP/Time settings not working on 3200ACM and 1900ACSV2 Reply with quote
I have two 3200ACMs and 1 1900ACSV2

All three have the same issue. All on 34080.

NTP is enabled. Server set to us.pool.ntp.org. TimeZone set to America/Phoenix (I have tried US/Arizona as well).

I can ping us.pool.ntp.org by name from each router. I can set the date manually (date YYMMDDHHMM). After a reboot, time resets to 5PM 1970. On all 3 routers.

Even if I set the date manually to be correct....after a couple of hours it resets to 1970.

Any ideas?
Sponsor
aairon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 16:08    Post subject: Re: NTP/Time settings not working on 3200ACM and 1900ACSV2 Reply with quote
ericb wrote:

NTP is enabled. Server set to us.pool.ntp.org. TimeZone set to America/Phoenix (I have tried US/Arizona as well).

I can ping us.pool.ntp.org by name from each router. I can set the date manually (date YYMMDDHHMM). After a reboot, time resets to 5PM 1970. On all 3 routers.

Even if I set the date manually to be correct....after a couple of hours it resets to 1970.

Any ideas?

That all sounds pretty complicated, the only thing I ever set is the timezone never have bothered in a long time to enter a address.
I'm on the north west coast of the U.S. so I simply set it as such.
This allows my Router and logs to display my local current time.
Oh I'm sorry I missed the fact you are REBOOTING?
Well yea the time will reset, That can't be what you're talking about?
They've always done that the clock get's reset when it reboots.
After the reboot it will get the correct time eventually and update itself.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 16:53    Post subject: Re: NTP/Time settings not working on 3200ACM and 1900ACSV2 Reply with quote
aairon wrote:
ericb wrote:

Any ideas?

That all sounds pretty complicated, the only thing I ever set is the timezone never have bothered in a long time to enter a address.

Don't know why you say complicated? Anyway, configured per the DD-WRT NTP Wiki...which is not exceptionally different than setting up NTP on any 'nix system. And the point is..it's NOT updating after a reboot, and even if set manually with the date command, it's resetting to 1970.

I updated all 3 to 34311, we'll see how that goes.
05dyna
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 18:31    Post subject: Re: NTP/Time settings not working on 3200ACM and 1900ACSV2 Reply with quote
ericb wrote:

Any ideas?

My 3200’s ntp service is working fine with r34080, been up 15 days.... Try changing from America/Phoenix to US/Mountain. I use US/Eastern & time1.google.com and don’t recall ever having ntp issues.
aairon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 20:48    Post subject: Re: NTP/Time settings not working on 3200ACM and 1900ACSV2 Reply with quote
ericb wrote:
aairon wrote:
ericb wrote:

Any ideas?

Don't know why you say complicated? Anyway, configured per the DD-WRT NTP Wiki...which is not exceptionally different than setting up NTP on any 'nix system. And the point is..it's NOT updating after a reboot, and even if set manually with the date command, it's resetting to 1970.

I've never seen the issue you're having.

The only thing I can say for certain is that whatever you're experiencing is unique to your set up and not an inherent flaw with that particular version of DD-WRT you are using.

By 'complicated' I mean All you need to do is enter your time zone, you can leave the server blank and it (the router) will keep the correct local time.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the same problem but only on the routers that are configured as WDS-Stations. DNS appears to be working since nslookup returns addresses. I just upgraded to firmware 34311 and the problem persists. The WDS AP time syncs OK.
robjak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
not an inherent flaw with that particular version of DD-WRT you are using.

If the time is not saved after a manual set, then it is a flaw with DDWRT firmware.

edit: i did not see this
Quote:
and even if set manually with the date command, it's resetting to 1970.

Points to a NTP issue as the ntp service writes over the manual set.

Last edited by robjak on Sat Dec 30, 2017 0:15; edited 1 time in total
robjak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 0:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try changing the URL us.pool.ntp.org to IP address 138.68.224.199 or 38.126.113.10

or set time manual and turn off NTP.
johnnyNobody999
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 0:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
robjak wrote:
Try changing the URL us.pool.ntp.org to IP address 138.68.224.199 or 38.126.113.10

or set time manual and turn off NTP.

I'd rather use NTP since I connect my WDS-Stations to the WDS AP using openvpn. The date and time needs to be accurate. And I don't want have to "ride" the time to insure that it's accurate. Besides, I shouldn't need to use the IP address if DNS is OK as evidenced by nslookup.
robjak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 0:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Setting the date manually and shutting off NTP will still keep a very accurate time.

My router (Not a Marvell SOC) had issues with URL based NTP. Switching to IP address fixed my issues.
ad19
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
johnnyNobody999 wrote:
I have the same problem but only on the routers that are configured as WDS-Stations. DNS appears to be working since nslookup returns addresses. I just upgraded to firmware 34311 and the problem persists. The WDS AP time syncs OK.

Facing a similar issue. Have a repeater using dd-wrt which refuses to sync time.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
These then need to get reported.
Then it can be opened for a resolution, I haven't been following the git's very closely it may already be reported but if I were personally effected by it I would most definitely make sure that the powers that be are aware of it.
I have seen issued get talked about here for days in the past with nothing being done until it got to the right ear them Bam things happen.
Something about the time sync and WDS rings a bell though, just saying.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:34    Post subject: Re: NTP/Time settings not working on 3200ACM and 1900ACSV2 Reply with quote
Quote:

I have the same problem. Try to manually run ntpclient and it should keep the time until reboot at least. that's my solution for time being.

'i just saw some idiot at the gym put a water bottle in the pringles holder on the treadmill'
aairon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 22:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Glad I don't have to worry about all that stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 23:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
d0ug

Can you verify that these routers do not have a RTC?

The Marvell SOC (88F6810, 88F6820, and 88F6828) does have an integrated RTC. I just cant guarantee that Linksys decided to use it. As a designer, i would not think of not using it.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 3
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: