Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:41 Post subject: Newb help TP-Link Archer C8 login issues
Hi, sorry to be a burden so soon, but I just got done flashing DD-WRT to a TP-link Archer C8 AC1750 version 1.
I used these instructions:
How to install DD-WRT firmware on Archer C8 (V1 ONLY):
1. Download old TP-Link firmware here: http://static.tp-link.com/resources/software/Archer_C8_v1_141023_UN.zip
2. Connect to your router's web GUI, to do that you just open a web browser and type in "192.168.0.1". After that, restore to factory defaults and connect to Archer C8 V1 with Ethernet cable ONLY. DO NOT USE WIFI TO UPDATE FIRMWARE. If your wifi adapter is enabled, disable it in device manager before proceeding.
3. Flash old firmware by going to advanced settings, system tools, then firmware.
4. Once that's done, download both bin files from here: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/11-10-2015-r28112/tplink_archer-c8v1/
5. FIRST flash the router using the "factory-to-ddwrt.bin" file in the same way you previously flashed the old TP-Link firmware. This will convert your OE firmware to DD-WRT firmware.
6. Once this is done, log into the new web GUI by going to a web browser and typing in "192.168.1.1", create credentials for your new DD-WRT router, then go to Administration, then firmware upgrade. You will now need to flash the "archer-c8-webflash.bin" file.
I did the 30/30/30 reset before and between each flashing. Everything seemed to work fine, but now, the next day I cannot log into the router. It is not taking any login attempts.
WebGUI lists this as the current firmware:
DD-WRT v3.0-r28112 std (11/10/15)
I tried multiple 30/30/30 resets and it never goes back to asking for a new username or password. I have tried using the default root/admin username password, I have tried going in through telnet-with the same results. I have tried going in through Putty but it says Network Error: Connection refused, and closes the window. Is there something I am missing?
I would try a 30-30-30 hard reset using the WPS button instead, that sometimes works.
Flash a newer build first, see the link in my signature.
Most TP-Links have a TFTP client looking for a TFTP server (from a computer) on 192.168.0.66. It needs to have an appropriately named file (should be something like ArcherC8v1_tp_recovery.bin). _________________ Before asking a question on the forums, update dd-wrt: Where do I download firmware? I suggest reading it all.
Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one, I am trying to update them.
Netgear R7800 - gateway, DHCP, QoS, VPN
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 x2 - WDS AP, WDS Station
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1 - WDS Station
TP-Link 841nd v8 - WDS Station
D-Link 615 C1 x 4 - not used
D-Link 615 E3 x 2 - not used
D-Link 825 B1 - WDS Station
D-Link 862L A1 x2 - WDS Station
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - WDS Station
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS
Asus N66U - backup Gateway
Netgear r6300 v1 - AP
Linksys E2500 - not used
Linksys EA2700 - not used
Linksys 160N v3 x2 - not used
Netgear WNDR3700v3 - not used
UBNT EdgeRouter X - not used
Ian, thank you so much! The WPS button was the same as the reset button, but I tried the Wifi button and it worked like a champ. I was at my wits end with frustration on it. I really appreciate the help.