New Build 33986 for DIR-868L & DIR-880L

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
quarkysg
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:04    Post subject: New Build 33986 for DIR-868L & DIR-880L Reply with quote
Hi folks,

I've uploaded a new build. No factory default reset necessary if you're already using my builds.

Other than the usual fixes committed by the dd-wrt developers, my build includes the following changes:

1. Allows full 4096 VLANs for 802.1q tagging. Scripting required tho, as the GUI does not allow VLANs > 15.
    2. Allows configuration of default hardware based LAN port VLAN PCP. No need to use router CPU for some type of VLAN traffic processing. (New)
    3. Enabled the WiFi LEDs for the D-Link DIR-880L (Rev A)
    4. Allows acceleration of network packets that are policy routed. You can now use OpenVPN with PBR and also enable SFE.
    5. Accelerate IPv6 network packets where previously all IPv6 packets are ignored.
    6. Disabled a competing SFE connection manager where previously two connection managers are initialised. This should reduce router CPU usage further.

Limitation of my builds:

1. Broadcom wireless and ethernet drivers may not be the latest, but at least it seems stable.
    2. Does not contain Sputnik as source codes not available.

The download link below:

Shortcut Forwarding Engine Kernel Module

For those using ARM CPU routers who would like to try out the Shortcut Forwarding Engine with PBR, I've attached the kernel module that you can try. Hopefully it'll work for you. To use the kernel module, unzip the attached file and upload it into your router. SSH/telnet into your router and run issue the following commands:

1. rmmod shortcut-fe
    (in the directory you have uploaded the shortcut-fe.ko file)
    2. insmod shortcut-fe.ko

The default kernel module only accelerates for the 129th packets onwards, so if you want the acceleration to happen faster, do the following:

echo 4 > /sys/fast_classifier/offload_at_pkts

The above command will offload established connections from the 5th packets onwards.

The attached kernel module will only work for ARM based routers and builds on or after 32622 and that your router must also be running the 4.4.x Linux kernel. Otherwise it will likely crash your router or it will not load at all.

Switch-Robo Kernel Module

This build's switch-robo.ko kernel driver (attached) has two enhancements:

1. Allows full 4096 VLAN tags.
    2. (New) Allows use of hardware based configuration of per port default VLAN PCP bits. I enhanced it to eliminate CPU usage of my router to support my ISP's IPTV service

You can configure per port VLAN PCP using the following file:

/proc/switch/eth0/port/<port number>/vlanpcp

Ports configurations are restricted to LAN ports 1 - 4 and the WAN port.

Example configurations:

To see current LAN port 4 VLAN configuration:

cat /proc/switch/eth0/port/3/vlanpcp

To set LAN port 4 VLAN PCP to 4 (video):

echo 4 > /proc/switch/eth0/port/3/vlanpcp

ebtables Utility

BrainSlayer's builds seems to also have issues with the 'ebtables' program for ARM based routers, so I've also included a copy of it here.

Have fun!

r33772-linux-4.4.103.tar.gz
 Description:
1. PBR compatible shortcut-fe.ko kernel module.
2. switch-robo.ko kernel module for BCM53xx switch
3. ebtables utility

Download
 Filename:  r33772-linux-4.4.103.tar.gz
 Filesize:  58.29 KB
 Downloaded:  624 Time(s)

Sponsor
FurryNutz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, upgraded my 868L Rev A. Re-enabled SFE.

Loaded my DIR-890L in AP mode too with there version.
FurryNutz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 15:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, FYI, have had 3 occasions since last nite where the router is either hung or off line fro the ISP modem or not giving DHCP IP addressing. I believe it had been off line since last nite as I couldn't get to my NEST controllers right before bed and this morning other half said they had ZERO internet. Had them power cycle the router and internet came back.

I believe it was around 1am as I see that 3 of my security cameras notified me that they were disconnected from there service around this time frame.

Only thing I had done last nite was switched OFF SFE which had been ON after loading this version of FW. I noticed last nite that two of us playing xbox one on same game kept having problems starting games. Router was hung up once during this event.

FW was updated to 33986 with the webupgrade file with application over v33772 with out a factor reset. Thinking since 33772 was working as configured, 33986 shouldn't need a factory reset. All wifi radios are disabled on the 868L since I use a 890L as my main AP in AP mode. LAN to LAN.

So this morning I reverted back to v33772 and will see if the router hangs again. I had not seen any hangs when this version was loaded previously.
FurryNutz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, so after downgrading to v33772, the 868L router or DHCP stopped or hung up. Could not get internet. IP address was present on my Mac Book however network icon said no internet access. I could not access the WRT U on the routerI.

I had to remove the 868L from service and install a different router.

I have now factory reset the 868L with v33772 on it and put it up behind the main host router to see if the problem crops up again.
quarkysg
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
FurryNutz wrote:
Ok, so after downgrading to v33772, the 868L router or DHCP stopped or hung up. Could not get internet. IP address was present on my Mac Book however network icon said no internet access. I could not access the WRT U on the routerI.

I have now factory reset the 868L with v33772 on it and put it up behind the main host router to see if the problem crops up again.

Did you enable syslog and klog? If yes, do you see any errors logged in your router’s log?
FurryNutz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did not...Sorry about that. Do i have to have a syslog capture server set up on a PC?

So far the 868L back on 33772 behind the main host router has been working with out issue. yes double NAT however 868L is in DMZ on main host router. Have all wireless connected to 868L and going to play some co op in house on xbox one and see how things go.

If it seems stable I will re-install as main host router and enable syslog and klog.
FurryNutz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 19:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well other than the 2.4Ghz radio seems to be going off line or not allowing internet connections on that radio, the router with factory reset from scratch v33772 is working. Hasn't given any problems like v33986 did.

I'm not sure why 2.4ghz is problematic now. Using same default settings as before with manual channel 11, Single mode N and now mixed G and N on 40Mhz. Single seems to last for a few hours then devices that are connected can't get internet. 5Ghz works well and is functioning correctly.

Let me know about setting up syslog and klog. IF a syslog capture program is needed on a PC, I can do that.

I may go back to OEM FW and see if the problem continues. Confused
FurryNutz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, I found my syslog capture program. It's up and running and syslog and klog are pointed to the PC. Will see if this happens again and get logs.
FurryNutz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 23:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
One other thing I notice. my iphone 6sP will not connect to the 2.4Ghz radio. Says not internet. If I disable security on the radio, it will. It only will connect to 5Ghz. My NESTs won't either now. My older 2008 Mac Book does connect with security enabled.

I think I'm going to loaded OEM FW then see what I find.
FurryNutz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 0:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, I need to retract the last 3 messages. I figured what was going on.

Some how my repeater that I thought I had turned off, was not off and still broadcasting signal falsely so my devices were acting wired. I turned off all radios and I still saw one SSID of mine that was being broadcast. Sorry for the false info. Rolling Eyes

So now I'm back to 868L behind main host router for now on v33772 and will continue with testing. Other than this issue, the router is working solid. IF this still works well, I'll try the router back as main router and go from there.
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 14:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
@Quarkysg, I use your shortcut-fe.ko, but on the latest Kong build 34015 from 9-dec it is not working, when I try to rmmod it the router even reboots.

Can you have look? I am using Policy Based routing and it was working flawless in older builds

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
vicaya
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 19:36    Post subject: Re: New Build 33986 for DIR-868L & DIR-880L Reply with quote
quarkysg wrote:
Hi folks,

I've uploaded a new build. No factory default reset necessary if you're already using my builds.

Other than the usual fixes committed by the dd-wrt developers, my build includes the following changes:

1. Allows full 4096 VLANs for 802.1q tagging. Scripting required tho, as the GUI does not allow VLANs > 15.
    2. Allows configuration of default hardware based LAN port VLAN PCP. No need to use router CPU for some type of VLAN traffic processing. (New)
    3. Enabled the WiFi LEDs for the D-Link DIR-880L (Rev A)
    4. Allows acceleration of network packets that are policy routed. You can now use OpenVPN with PBR and also enable SFE.
    5. Accelerate IPv6 network packets where previously all IPv6 packets are ignored.
    6. Disabled a competing SFE connection manager where previously two connection managers are initialised. This should reduce router CPU usage further.

@quarkysg, really appreciate your contribution here! IMO, it would help get more people to test/use your build if you can post your source patches to the official build (only diffs to r33986 are needed). Providing source patches also make your distribution legally compliant to GPL.
FurryNutz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 22:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, so back to this issue. I'm on v33772 and the router is now back on as main host router for everything. Made sure all other APs and repeaters are OFF.

I'll do some testing this weekend and see if the router does anything. Syslog and Klog are both enabled. I see there is a syslog tab for looking at the log so I don't have to have a capture software enabled on a PC.

If I don't see any problems. Should I update to v33986 and test again? How should I update if I do, update with webupgrade file and no factory reset or with factory reset?

quarkysg wrote:
FurryNutz wrote:

Did you enable syslog and klog? If yes, do you see any errors logged in your router’s log?
quarkysg
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
egc wrote:
@Quarkysg, I use your shortcut-fe.ko, but on the latest Kong build 34015 from 9-dec it is not working, when I try to rmmod it the router even reboots.

Can you have look? I am using Policy Based routing and it was working flawless in older builds

The commit by BS @ r33987 changed one of the data structure used by the shortcut-fe.ko module. Kong's build included that change, so the driver I uploaded compiled using r33986 sources will cause Kong firmware's kernel to panic when loaded, as the driver will poke into incorrect memory location.

Use the attached .ko and see if it resolves your issue.

vicaya wrote:

@quarkysg, really appreciate your contribution here! IMO, it would help get more people to test/use your build if you can post your source patches to the official build (only diffs to r33986 are needed). Providing source patches also make your distribution legally compliant to GPL.

Seeing that this is your first post, I assume you did not follow past forum discussions/posts. I've provided the changes I did to the developers with commit rights. @egc has been trying to get the developers to take notice, but sadly, there doesn't seem to be any interest in integrating my changes to the SVN tree.

FurryNutz wrote:
Should I update to v33986 and test again? How should I update if I do, update with webupgrade file and no factory reset or with factory reset?

No need to reset settings if you're already using my build @ r33772a. Just go straight to r33986a. Not much diff between the 2 versions as far as I tell from the source codes.

shortcut-fe.ko.gz
 Description:
shortcut-fe.ko for dd-wrt ARM, r34015, Linux Kernel 4.4.104.

Download
 Filename:  shortcut-fe.ko.gz
 Filesize:  18.34 KB
 Downloaded:  694 Time(s)

FurryNutz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Quarkysg, I'll try the upgrade tomorrow. Router has been going great so far. No hang ups thus far. Will be trying gaming consoles soon.

One other question the TX power setting. What is the default power value when in AUTO? is it 71mW? What setting do you use on yours? Ive been reading that some have set to a lower value to help reduce some errors and connection issues. Im currently testing 38mW. I'm still seeing some odd ball connection issues with NEST and my iphone seems like on 2.4ghz using single mode N or mixed G/N with manual channel 11, 40Mhz and WPA2 Personal and AES only when using Auto TX power. I supposed I should try Auto modes again and see. Confused
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: