WiFi Adapter Dissusion Tread............

ramblin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:15    Post subject: WiFi Adapter Dissusion Tread............ Reply with quote
When doing a site search I find very little written about WiFi adapters. Many treads dealing with slow wifi speeds over a wide variety of routers but never really considering the problem may be with the dongle or the wifi card. Over the years I have tested many different ones, mostly wireless -N @300Mbps primarily for distance and speed. Like routers, same brands with different hardware versions vary widely in speed. I have found as they age some will slow down before they eventually fail. ISP speeds of 100Mbps can be hard to achieve sometimes. Lately I have found this little jewel. It is marked as generic from China as "USB WiFi Wireless-N 300Mbps 802.11n/g/b Network LAN Dongle Adapter 5dBi Antenna". In reality it is a "Realtek RTL8192EU Wireless LAN 802.11n USB 2.0" and all Linux, Mac and Win10 drivers can be found on the Realtek site. I have bought 1 US for $11 and 3 from China for $5+ and found them reliable (no drops) and FAST ! I can get 110Mbps wireless anywhere in my house( I pay for 100) exactly the same as hardwired. Just wanted to pass this on and get a little disscusion going. I can give plenty of feedback on what NOT to buy !

n.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  26.29 KB
 Viewed:  1877 Time(s)

n.JPG

Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
this seems like a single stream 150Mbit client the best in this range are "alfa" adaptors they never fail...
There are some much better than this on the market like dual or 3 streams AC adaptors usb 3 for around 10$ from china...
good luck...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
ramblin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yea, these wouldn`t work if your a gamer but are a cheap alternative if you just use 2.4Ghz like me. Hopefully this thread will shed some light on the subject.
ramblin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thought I might wake up this old thread and get some fresh input from members. A quick google search retrieves many unbranded, mostly chinese adaptors with the chipsets listed, Realtek, Ralink, est. Fullsize and namebrands getting harder to find with many being only 15 mm. in size. Just wondered what experience others have had with these. I`m still using the one in the 1st post. I have only 100mbps and that one easily does that. Realtec released a new driver for Win 10 on 5-3-2018 and it is basically works flawlessly. I have a range of Dlinks and Netgears that don`t work near as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: