Isolating wireless interference using DD-WRT stats

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
excel4x
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:03    Post subject: Isolating wireless interference using DD-WRT stats Reply with quote
This is not a DD-WRT problem. I am hoping to use DD-WRT stats to help isolate an interference issue. I searched for forum but could not find any reference for this.

I have a ~1 mile 2.4Ghz repeater link (AP-repeater1-clients) that has started dropping packets. This type of problem can often be mitigated by changing channels. However in this case that has not worked. I can see other wireless signals, however, they do not appear to be that strong. The interference could also be from a non-wifi source.

Is there a way use DD-WRT stats to help determine which node(s) in the link are seeing interference? For example:
1) proc/net/dev contains fields for Receive and Transmit errs. I an seeing some Transmit errs on eth1 but never any Receive errs.
2) proc/net/snmp contains a TCP field RetransSegs, and I am seeing significant numbers here - much higher than the Transmit errs (I think this is the same info that shows up under the GUI TX errors packet info).

Are these stats useful in isolating interference sources and/or are there other stats that would be more helpful in isolating which side of a pair of DD-WRT routers is seeing interference?

How should these errors be interpreted? Do RetransSegs indicate a transmitter having to resend data because the receiver did not get the info correctly? Does this then imply that the receiver is the one most like experiencing interference?

With respect to RetransSegs, is there any way to tell which interface (eth1, etc.) was involved on a repeater?

Thanks much for any assistance in interpreting these DD-WRT stats.

I posted this under Broadcom since I am using WHR-HP-G54S routers. Not sure if some stats are hardware specific.
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: