Which router for VPN? Netgear R7800 or Lynksys WRT3200ACM ?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Search & Find, Sales & Offers
pipposat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 16:08    Post subject: Which router for VPN? Netgear R7800 or Lynksys WRT3200ACM ? Reply with quote
Hello
Which DD-WRT router do you reccomend mainly for VPN use?
Wi-fi not so important for my target use (router wired between ISP modem and my HP switch).

Thank you in advance for all your answers with suggestions / support.

My budget: 130/150 Euro approx

CIAO
Sponsor
pipposat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have restricted my research and I'm asking for your opinion about the following three routers; remember that my main target is to use it wired (not wi-fi) and for VPN purpose (home use with 20 Mbps ISP line):

- Linksys WRT3200ACM
- Netgear X4S R7800
- Linksys WRT1900ACS

Thank you for your prompt replies.
Ciao
sploit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 22:38    Post subject: Overkill Reply with quote
Both of those routers are overkill for VPN use.

Get a Asus RTAC68U or WRT1200AC

Both will do 65+ Mbps and have detachable antennas

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
go for the

- Linksys WRT3200ACM
- Linksys WRT1900AC(M,S)

avoid broadcom (closed source drivers only)
you are more flexible with alternative firmware

learned my lession - look below Smile

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
[Adding this note after the post below was written: Looks like the last poster and I weren't paying attention to the dates of the earlier posts. We are no doubt too late for the original poster. Perhaps it will help someone else though, so I'll leave my post up!]

Actually, of those two, go for the WRT1900ACS. New ones on the market are generally the V2, which you want. The V2 is generally not mentioned in the ads or on the box, but it's at the end of the model number on the label on the bottom of the router itself. This WRT1900ACSv2 is regarded by many over on the Marvell forum, the relevant one, as the best of the WRTblahblah series.

The WRT3200ACM is, on the other hand, probably the most troublesome of that series. See the Marvell forum. Each "new build thread" is full of tales of woe about that router and its wifi troubles, thought to result from poorly written proprietary drivers. It seems there are no open-source wifi drivers for it as there are for the earlier models.

On my WRT1900ACSv2 I support about 20 devices with two separate wifi/LAN subnets, one for work (home office) and one for home stuff, guest wifi networks on each band as separate subnets, and a fifth subnet that is like the guest networks but with everything going through the OpenVPN client. The five subnets are isolated from each other in the firewall, and the three wifi-only subnets isolate connected devices from each other as well, to defend against malware spread. DNS for all but the vpn subnet uses three servers with dnscrypt and DNSSEC encryption and digital-signature tech. Quality-of-service rules constrain the division of my ISP's 200 Mbps / 12 Mbps download / upload speeds among the subnets. I also have a USB disk drive plugged into the router, which puts it on the network as a share. I've ever seen any sign that any of this strains the router at all. The only trouble I've had is from two old 802.11g devices, an AirPlay (version 1) speaker and a Brother printer, that can take many minutes to connect to wifi. Everything else just works.

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Search & Find, Sales & Offers All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: