WRT1200AC bad ping in games? Weird Issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
shady06x
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 17:56    Post subject: WRT1200AC bad ping in games? Weird Issue Reply with quote
Hey all! As you know I use a WRT1200AC V1 flashed with DD-WRT v3.0-r8788 and I have a weird issue that seems to only crop up with games and gaming. My speedtests + download speeds seem to be fine, but when I get into a game (in this case Rocket League) my ping is really bad. For example with a TP-Link Archer C7 router my ping is around 70 on west coast servers and 30-50 on east coast servers, but if I use my WRT1200AC with DD-WRT instead my ping is >110 on west coast servers and >70 on east coast servers which makes the game unplayable due to lag spikes. Any ideas on what I should check to resolve this? I really want to use DD-WRT instead of a stock firmware so if anyone could help me out I would greatly appreciate it.
Sponsor
Neozen21
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 23:34    Post subject: Re: WRT1200AC bad ping in games? Weird Issue Reply with quote
shady06x wrote:
Hey all! As you know I use a WRT1200AC V1 flashed with DD-WRT v3.0-r8788 and I have a weird issue that seems to only crop up with games and gaming. My speedtests + download speeds seem to be fine, but when I get into a game (in this case Rocket League) my ping is really bad. For example with a TP-Link Archer C7 router my ping is around 70 on west coast servers and 30-50 on east coast servers, but if I use my WRT1200AC with DD-WRT instead my ping is >110 on west coast servers and >70 on east coast servers which makes the game unplayable due to lag spikes. Any ideas on what I should check to resolve this? I really want to use DD-WRT instead of a stock firmware so if anyone could help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

I have a WRT1200V2 running R33697. You are running R8788?? What year is that version from??

I get about 18-25 in Overwatch & Call of Duty, so even 30-50ms pings are high. I can only suggest you update to the latest DD-WRT version and try disabling any service/feature that you don't need. I don't have anything running on my router, except DNSMASQ, DDNS and about 5 port forwards.
shady06x
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 0:55    Post subject: Re: WRT1200AC bad ping in games? Weird Issue Reply with quote
Neozen21 wrote:
shady06x wrote:

I have a WRT1200V2 running R33697. You are running R8788?? What year is that version from??

I get about 18-25 in Overwatch & Call of Duty, so even 30-50ms pings are high. I can only suggest you update to the latest DD-WRT version and try disabling any service/feature that you don't need. I don't have anything running on my router, except DNSMASQ, DDNS and about 5 port forwards.

Thanks for the reply! My mistake on the firmware verison as it is actually Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r28788 (01/13/16) which is still kinda old, but that is the only one I see in the Router Database on the official dd-wrt site. Where can I go to find an updated Kong or Brainslayer build and try those for my WRT1200AC V1 or do they even exist? Thanks.

***EDIT***
I found Kong's build Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r33570M kongmv (10/22/17) downloaded it and flashed it onto the router and tried a west coast server in Rocket League just now and still see pings >100 so the even with the new firmware my ping is still unplayable. I'll have to go back to the other router (Archer C7) or install the original Linksys firmware to be able to play. Any other ideas I can try?
LookingForMyMojo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2017/

https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=312142&highlight=ac86u
shady06x
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
LookingForMyMojo wrote:

Thanks! I'll try the latest beta and let you know if it fixes it.
shady06x
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
LookingForMyMojo wrote:

Well I downloaded and flashed the latest from that list above which is Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r33679 std (11/04/17) and it still didn't fix my ping/lag issue while in games. Weird.
Neozen21
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
shady06x wrote:
LookingForMyMojo wrote:

Well I downloaded and flashed the latest from that list above which is Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r33679 std (11/04/17) and it still didn't fix my ping/lag issue while in games. Weird.

And you have everything default in DD-WRT? Almost everything is turned off by default, unless you turn them on manually.

Have you tried testing your ping with other sites? Maybe it's just Rocket League. Are you connecting to the right region server? I find it unlikely it's due to the router that you are having high pings.

This link seems useful... it tests the pings for you:
http://deepfocus.io/rocketleague_ping.php
shady06x
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 22:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Neozen21 wrote:
shady06x wrote:
LookingForMyMojo wrote:

And you have everything default in DD-WRT? Almost everything is turned off by default, unless you turn them on manually.

Have you tried testing your ping with other sites? Maybe it's just Rocket League.. I find it unlikely it's due to the router that you are having high pings.

Yep everything pretty much default. The only thing I change is I set my DNS servers to Google DNS, but I don't see that as the issue considering I use Google DNS on any router I use. It is really baffling to me why my ping is so high with this particular router and dd-wrt & openwrt builds. The moment I try a different brand of router (TP-Link Archer C7, Ubiquiti AP AC Lite) my pings are normal. I did try to disable WMM on both the 2.4 and 5ghz bands and surprisingly that does fix the ping issues, but it absolutely cripples my download speeds so that is out of the question. This makes no sense to me whatsoever. I prefer to use my WRT1200AC if possible because the specs are so good, but specs mean nothing if I can't use it. Thanks for staying with the thread and replying, I really appreciate your help!
shady06x
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Still at a loss for what the issue could be and I guess I'm just going to have to put stock firmware back on it if I want to use it. Bummer.
rbronco21
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd set up QoS and check your bufferbloat for online gaming. As I understand it, bufferbloat is caused when your internet traffic is buffered on your router, so your ping may be good, but your game updates sit on your router instead of going to the server or peer.

Here are my settings. You'll have to adjust the uplink and downlink for your internet connection and check the results on https://sourceforge.net/speedtest/.

Packet Scheduler - HTB
Queueing Discipline - FQ_CODEL
Downlink (kbps) - 27500
Uplink (kbps) - 27500
All TCP-Packet Priority boxes checked
Everything below left untouched

I went from ~400ms to ~20ms by setting this up. I am having problems with later versions of DD-WRT, though. Check my thread here for the version I got to work and hopefully an update on the issue.
https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=312545&sid=e9dc03b73e29b65ba9a01bf47665bda4

What are you gaming on? PC, Xbox, smart fridge?
shady06x
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
rbronco21 wrote:
I'd set up QoS and check your bufferbloat for online gaming. As I understand it, bufferbloat is caused when your internet traffic is buffered on your router, so your ping may be good, but your game updates sit on your router instead of going to the server or peer.

Here are my settings. You'll have to adjust the uplink and downlink for your internet connection and check the results on https://sourceforge.net/speedtest/.

Packet Scheduler - HTB
Downlink (kbps) - 27500
Uplink (kbps) - 27500

I went from ~400ms to ~20ms by setting this up. I am having problems with later versions of DD-WRT, though. Check my thread here for the version I got to work and hopefully an update on the issue.
https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=312545&sid=e9dc03b73e29b65ba9a01bf47665bda4

Gaming on PC. I actually went back to stock firmware on the WRT1200AC and haven't had an issue since. I may try flashing to dd-wrt again and try your settings though. I'll let you know how that goes if I decide to try it again. Thanks!
shady06x
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 0:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
rbronco21 wrote:

Packet Scheduler - HTB
Downlink (kbps) - 27500
Uplink (kbps) - 27500

Well I downloaded the latest beta Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r33986 (12/04/17) and flashed that to my WRT1200ac. Tried it purely as stock settings and with the settings you mentioned above and still have the same issue with ping in games. I guess at this point it's just stick with stock or use a different router altogether. Shame. Anyways I appreciate everyone for trying to help solve this issue.
shady06x
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
d0ug wrote:
It could be your hardware revision. for the WRT1200/1900 routers, v1 and v2 hardware are completely different beasts. The v1 of both devices are plagued with issues on DDWRT. Best option is stick with stock with v1 hardware, or pick up some v2 hardware and sell your v1 hardware on ebay

Yeah that has to be it because I can't find any other reason for the issue I'm having. Thanks for the clarification.
turner78
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am having this issue as well, I have a 1200AC V2 though. Problem is I'm even seeing it on the stock firmware. the issue for me is on wireless only. When pinging the router at 192.168.1.1 it pings consistently at 1ms but every once in a while (every 50th to 100th ping) jumps to 100-200+ for a couple pings, then back to 1ms. This makes online gaming impossible. I have tried changing channels to no avail, this happens on both the 5GHz and the 2.4 at the same time. Any ideas?
shady06x
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
turner78 wrote:
I am having this issue as well, I have a 1200AC V2 though. Problem is I'm even seeing it on the stock firmware. the issue for me is on wireless only. When pinging the router at 192.168.1.1 it pings consistently at 1ms but every once in a while (every 50th to 100th ping) jumps to 100-200+ for a couple pings, then back to 1ms. This makes online gaming impossible. I have tried changing channels to no avail, this happens on both the 5GHz and the 2.4 at the same time. Any ideas?

That is really weird and a little disturbing to hear. I went back to stock firmware again and noticed my ping in Rocket League is back to where it should be. I have noticed a few disconnections recently, but that could be just my ISP. I will have to try pinging the router and see if the ms jumps like the symptom you are experiencing. If that is indeed the case then I will be using a different brand asap. Hopefully someone has some insight into what could be causing these issues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: