Linksys 32X oem firmware is out........

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
lanbudget
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
cybrnook wrote:

But the nature of what is being change while in the u-boot env, can only be changed there. Firmware flashing just flashes into the defined partitions spaces as defined in the env. So without the groundwork being laid (work in u-boot), you can't just flash the firmware on top. Square peg in a round hole.

Wondering if that can be achieved by telnet commands in some OpenWRT/DDWRT intermediate firmware.
Sponsor
Beradon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Inteliboy...

Was wondering if you've experienced any stability issues with the wifi radios. Having run DDWRT (r32361) prior to this and of course the linksys 3200ACM firmware before that, I actually hadn't experienced any issues with the WIFI radios despite what everyone else has experienced in the 3200ACM thread... but moving to the WRT32X firmware I've already had to reboot it twice for the WIFI being unable to connect after being up for a few hours.
inteliboy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
@lanbudget
It can't be done, unless you know of some utility to write directly to nand omitting the MTD layout set while kernel boots. I know of no such tools. nandwrite from mtd-utils package uses MTD layout set by the kernel. You can change the layout of MTD in u-boot by SSH/telnet but then you can't flash the firmware to the new layout as any tool that I know of will use the layout used by the image currently booted.

@Beradon
I have not experienced any wireless instability with WRT32X firmware. I only put heavy load on 5GHz band, I will heavy load on 2.4GHz band and let you know. Despite WRT3200ACM official firmware also using proprietary Marvell driver I had terrible issues with WiFi there and also on OpenSource firmwares using mwlwifi driver. Did you update to latest Linksys firmware xxxxxx.208 after installing firmware built by me?

EDIT: I tested the 2.4GHz band and the throughput is like 100Mbps tops on 300Mbps WiFi N connection, but that can be caused by interfenece with USB3 device as the 2.4GHz and USB3 devices heavily interfere with each other. I, however, did not experience any dropouts or inability to connect like I did with WRT3200ACM firmware or OpenSource mlwifi.

Offsite HW:
PCEngines APU2E4 @ DD-WRT r50176 (Router) + Netgear XR500 @ DumaOS (AP)
-Wireguard server
myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
@inteliboy
How are you testing the speed of the wireless? Always looking for new ideas or ways of doing things is the reason I ask, not trying to challenge your results.

I normally do a iperf3 test between a wireless connected desktop, client, with windows 10 pro on it to a pc, server, with windows 10 pro on it Ethernet connected to the router.
--bill

ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.

Last edited by myersw on Sat Sep 30, 2017 17:35; edited 1 time in total
ghoffman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
inteliboy wrote:
@lanbudget
It can't be done, unless you know of some utility to write directly to nand omitting the MTD layout set while kernel boots. I know of no such tools. nandwrite from mtd-utils package uses MTD layout set by the kernel. You can change the layout of MTD in u-boot by SSH/telnet but then you can't flash the firmware to the new layout as any tool that I know of will use the layout used by the image currently booted.

would there be some way to have u-boot run code off a usb mount as an intermediate step, like with netconsole, ethernet, and usb drivers? it might go soemting like:
1. program new mtd layout and boot sequence to start from usb if mounted
2. reboot to usb mounted image ; flash new image in mtd volumes
3. reprogram uboot to boot from new mtd layout.
cybrnook
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just flash via serial, whole process is done in ~30 minutes.
Seahawk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
cybrnook wrote:

I really wouldn't hesitate flashing via serial if I heard from others that their is a huge benefit over the current WRT.

I think everyone in this forum enjoy and appreciates the various alternatives.
inteliboy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 19:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
would there be some way to have u-boot run code off a usb mount as an intermediate step, like with netconsole, ethernet, and usb drivers? it might go soemting like:
1. program new mtd layout and boot sequence to start from usb if mounted
2. reboot to usb mounted image ; flash new image in mtd volumes
3. reprogram uboot to boot from new mtd layout

It would be possbile to boot the kernel+rootfs from USB, however, I have no experience with that at all so I can't provide any info towards that at this point.

@Seahawk
Personally I am satisfied with the performance and stability but your mileage may vary, so its up to you to try it for yourself.

@myersw
I mainly test via smb protocol while transfering from USB3 attached drive. I also tested with iper3 when I posted that I get around 400Mbps over 5GHz band.

Offsite HW:
-Wireguard server
myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
@inteliboy
Thanks for the speed test info.
You do better on iperf then I do, but realize it is client and environment sensitive.
Thanks for the response and info.
--bill

ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
ghoffman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 22:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
cybrnook wrote:

i did it following the insgtructions here. very straightforward.
thank you all
Beradon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 0:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
inteliboy wrote:

@Beradon
I have not experienced any wireless instability with WRT32X firmware. I only put heavy load on 5GHz band, I will heavy load on 2.4GHz band and let you know. Despite WRT3200ACM official firmware also using proprietary Marvell driver I had terrible issues with WiFi there and also on OpenSource firmwares using mwlwifi driver. Did you update to latest Linksys firmware xxxxxx.208 after installing firmware built by me?

EDIT: I tested the 2.4GHz band and the throughput is like 100Mbps tops on 300Mbps WiFi N connection, but that can be caused by interfenece with USB3 device as the 2.4GHz and USB3 devices heavily interfere with each other. I, however, did not experience any dropouts or inability to connect like I did with WRT3200ACM firmware or OpenSource mlwifi.

I upgraded that same day we discussed if auto-updates would work... I'm hoping what I experienced was just a fluke, but what I experienced was every wifi device I have lost connectivity. They could all still see the network but none could connect. The router also lost DHCP from my modem on reboot so I ended up having to reboot that as well... Was a very odd situation. At 24 hours now and still up so here's hoping.

Also, to everyone doing the flash from Windows 10. If you're running a third party firewall like Kaspersky, McAfee, Symantec, etc... if you disable it Windows automatically re-enables the built in firewall, I had an idiot moment trying to figure out why I couldn't get the router to connect to tftpd since I had believed I already shut off my firewall, so just be aware, you'll have to shut off your firewall twice.
lanbudget
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
@inteliboy

How did you back up all your MTDx partitions?

Is there an alternative method without serial?
inteliboy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 13:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Provided that you are running OpenWRT/LEDE/DD-WRT etc
Code:
cat /dev/mtd0 > /tmp/mtd0.bin
cat /dev/mtd1 > /tmp/mtd1.bin
cat /dev/mtd2 > /tmp/mtd2.bin
cat /dev/mtd3 > /tmp/mtd3.bin
cat /dev/mtd4 > /tmp/mtd4.bin
cat /dev/mtd5 > /tmp/mtd5.bin
cat /dev/mtd6 > /tmp/mtd6.bin
cat /dev/mtd7 > /tmp/mtd7.bin
cat /dev/mtd8 > /tmp/mtd8.bin
cat /dev/mtd9 > /tmp/mtd9.bin
cat /dev/mtd10 > /tmp/mtd10.bin

And use WinSCP and SCP protocol to download files from /tmp dir. You can also dump them to some mounted USB drive, just change /tmp to the mount path.

Offsite HW:
-Wireguard server
dance85
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you Inteliboy. Instead to restore what command should I use?
lanbudget
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
inteliboy wrote:
Provided that you are running OpenWRT/LEDE/DD-WRT etc
And use WinSCP and SCP protocol to download files from /tmp dir. You can also dump them to some mounted USB drive, just change /tmp to the mount path.

Thank you inteliboy.

How do I back up the u-boot bootblock?

It works now, however I expect Belkin will put soft-lock on future WRT32X firmwares.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 6 of 11
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: