Some tips for installing DD-WRT on D-Link DIR-825 vB1 NA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
esliu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 0:18    Post subject: Some tips for installing DD-WRT on D-Link DIR-825 vB1 NA Reply with quote
I just installed DD-WRT on my D-Link DIR-825B1 NA version. At the time of this posting, the version on the instructions page is "ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2017/08-03-2017-r33006/dlink-dir825-revb/factory-to-ddwrt_NA.bin"

Some comments to share.

First, if your factory firmware is older than 2.07, I recommend upgrading to 2.07 first. Note that if you are older than 2.05, you must install v2.05 before the router will upgrade to 2.07. If you try to jump from, say 2.03 to 2.07, the upgrade will fail. Note that there are two BIN files included with 2.05, you have to install them both first, then install 2.07.

Second, I had massive problems trying to install from my laptop that had Windows 10 on it. The factory firmware recovery page kept rejecting the BIN once uploaded, saying "Incorrect hardware ID image, Please check !" By the way, I was only able to get this message in Firefox. In Chrome and Internet Explorer (11), the file would upload and nothing would happen. Same results in Opera and Edge too, FWIW.

I tried everything, but in the end, the way I got the DD-WRT firmware to take was to switch to my Windows 7 PC. From there, using Firefox, the BIN uploaded and the upgrade process started immediately, first try. The page with the progress counter didn't load, but the router itself behaved exactly as described in the instructions--the power light turned off so I knew it was progressing.

Once it came back on, I was able to access the DD-WRT admin console with no problems.

Hope this information may be of use to someone in the future. If the DD-WRT BIN won't take, there may be a bunch of things going on. I don't know what the difference was between my Windows 10 PC and my Windows 7 PC. Keep trying different things until it works!
Sponsor
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:02    Post subject: PM tatsuya46 Reply with quote
PM tatsuya46 and ask him to update the wiki page for that router.

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one.

Atheros:
Netgear R7800 x3 - WDS AP / station, gateway, QoS
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 x2 - WDS Station
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1 - WDS Station
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 615 C1/E3/I1 x 7 - 1 WDS station
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
D-Link 862L A1 x2 - WDS Station
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Linksys EA6400 - Gateway, QoS
Asus N66U - AP
Netgear WNDR3700v3 - not used
MediaTek
UBNT EdgeRouter X - switch
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
the wiki page assumes dlink recovery method is used, it was found over the years things kept switching back and forth, going from stock -> ddwrt worked fine in gui, then broke like u have, then started working again. when u use dlink emergency room (recovery method, tftp, gui tftp etc all the same), it doesn't matter what version of stock fw u have on it

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55488 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55460 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

phuzzyday
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 21:41    Post subject: DIR-825 An option for Windows 10!! PALE MOON BROWSER! Reply with quote
So I had one of these situations as mentioned by the OP, no Windows 7 machines, but I tried two Linux machines even, to no avail. Almost.

I learned about a browser in Linux called Pale Moon, and I was just trying all the decent browsers I could find mention of, so I downloaded it next, and.. things got different!! Real different! The power light stopped blinking, but no data transfer happened. The router just sat there.

The power light not blinking was the best result I had found, but I figured at this point, I was hooped as far as further progress was considered.
But Pale Moon is also available in Windows, so for a final kick I installed it, back on my main Win10 64 Bit machine, with great curiosity, and KABOOM. Everything went EXACTLY as expected.

So if anyone finds one of these little gems, I hope this helps you! I found it at a Goodwill, Pretty much new in box. Bought it because I had one already and I liked DD-WRT, and I thought this was the newer revision. It wasn't, but it was only 10 bucks. For that much, It's worth having around!
Almost wish I was back at stock now, I would have tried Android next! (Almost.)
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 23:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Firefox ESR with no extensions installed is your friend.
wyllyrd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 22:01    Post subject: Re: Some tips for installing DD-WRT on D-Link DIR-825 vB1 NA Reply with quote
Apologies if I'm posting incorrectly - I'm a complete newb here!

I was having a hella hard time flashing my DIR-825 vB1 - I could not get any of my browsers to send the image to the device. I noticed that the "30/30/30 mode" puts the router in a state that is probably using very old software...software that obviously isn't playing nice with modern browsers.

So...I noticed that this helpful person mentioned using Windows 7. I don't have any old systems, but I was able to use an old, portable version of Firefox. Thanks for providing the clues for me to follow! I used this to flash my device: https://sourceforge.net/projects/portableapps/files/Mozilla%20Firefox%2C%20Portable%20Ed./Mozilla%20Firefox%2C%20Portable%20Edition%202.0.0.8/

esliu wrote:
I just installed DD-WRT on my D-Link DIR-825B1 NA version. At the time of this posting, the version on the instructions page is "ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2017/08-03-2017-r33006/dlink-dir825-revb/factory-to-ddwrt_NA.bin"

Some comments to share.

First, if your factory firmware is older than 2.07, I recommend upgrading to 2.07 first. Note that if you are older than 2.05, you must install v2.05 before the router will upgrade to 2.07. If you try to jump from, say 2.03 to 2.07, the upgrade will fail. Note that there are two BIN files included with 2.05, you have to install them both first, then install 2.07.

Second, I had massive problems trying to install from my laptop that had Windows 10 on it. The factory firmware recovery page kept rejecting the BIN once uploaded, saying "Incorrect hardware ID image, Please check !" By the way, I was only able to get this message in Firefox. In Chrome and Internet Explorer (11), the file would upload and nothing would happen. Same results in Opera and Edge too, FWIW.

I tried everything, but in the end, the way I got the DD-WRT firmware to take was to switch to my Windows 7 PC. From there, using Firefox, the BIN uploaded and the upgrade process started immediately, first try. The page with the progress counter didn't load, but the router itself behaved exactly as described in the instructions--the power light turned off so I knew it was progressing.

Once it came back on, I was able to access the DD-WRT admin console with no problems.

Hope this information may be of use to someone in the future. If the DD-WRT BIN won't take, there may be a bunch of things going on. I don't know what the difference was between my Windows 10 PC and my Windows 7 PC. Keep trying different things until it works!
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 23:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not sure I would be brave enough to test it, but I found portable antique versions of IE because of this bump:

https://fileforum.com/detail/Internet-Explorer-Collection/1217189605/1

Thanks for adding to the resources of known workarounds!

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: