Pointers in setting up a WDS network/DHCP Questions/Other

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
shiett3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 18:12    Post subject: Pointers in setting up a WDS network/DHCP Questions/Other Reply with quote
Hello All,

I am now looking into the following project to help a group that administers exams. Some of the takers wil be able to type the exam in a secure exam environment (the PC is locked down). This project is a larger than my home network and I need a little nudge to get started.

General Information:

1. Currently we have ~130 students taking the exam and will have a wireless connection.
2. At the end of the exam the file will be saved to a network share that is mapped before the exam.
(This will provided by a Linksys NSLU2 nas unit)
3. The files that are being saved are less than ~100Kb (encrypted word document).
4. I was looking at a WDS to implement this setup.
5. This will be only a local network (no internet).

Questions:

1. Is the 32 wireless users per AP a hardwired number or can it support more in this seemingly low bandwidth application. (32 was the number on the router box)
2. At the moment we would have enough IP address to since we are under 254 users but this could grow over the coming years. What can be done to support more than this number of students?
3. If a WDS is not a usable concept (due to any bandwidth issues) then a pointer to setting this up by hardwiring the AP's together. The room the exam takers are in is not large so running cables would not be an issue.

I hope this makes some sense and thanks for reading. I can clarify as needed.

SHiett
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: