WRT3200ACM??

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 149, 150, 151 ... 197, 198, 199  Next
Sam1789
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 21:50    Post subject: Re: still have Strange things in logs after r33180 install Reply with quote
gufus wrote:

Those are iptable kernel logs logging you openvpn client

SRC=192.168.6.74
your openvpn client ip

DST=207.154.249
your web page request ip

PROTO=TCP SPT=2299 DPT=80
protocol/source port/desation port

ACCEPT IN=br0 OUT=eth0
bridge 0 in and out to the wan

ttl=time to live for

Just disable Klogd to stop logging

gufus,
Thanks for your reply. But I do not have any OpenVPN client running?
So I'm inspecting the logs a bit more. And I just locked the Laptop's firewall. Nothing new should be showing up like these things for a while at least?
I have looked up the IPs and the external ones that I posted, they do however point to places with which I am not familiar. But they are just a drop in the bucket of the overall activity.

192.168.6.74 is my Laptop which is connected to the 3200 router and its GUI.
192.168.6.1 is the 3200 router LAN IP
the others are places "outside" & go to places with which I am not familiar.
207.154.249.48 = DIGITALOCEAN-18; http://www.digitalocean.com; Simple Cloud Hosting;
38.93.140.48 = COGENT-A; PSINet, Inc. (PSI); rwhois.cogentco.com 4321;
192.35.177.195 = TRADEWAVE6; OrgName: IdenTrust; OrgId: IDENT-10;go to places with which I am not familiar.

So then these items are the activity logs which I want to be getting? But they are in data format and not displayed the way I need them?
Do you know what that long item after the "MAC" is?

Can I guess that with a different logging program (log server), I would have seen logs more like I am familiar with. My good old Wall Watcher does not seem to be able to handle the logs from dd-wrt on this router. = time for more research?

And as a check on this I guess I can by compare the items in the 3200router's log with my main router's log which should show all activity coming from the 3200 router.

thanks,
Sam

wrt54GLs for ad'l 3rd tier machines.
Sponsor
gufus
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 22:17    Post subject: Re: still have Strange things in logs after r33180 install Reply with quote
Sam1789 wrote:

Do you know what that long item after the "MAC" is?

MAC=60:38:e0:b4:8d:51:00
mac for 192.168.6.74 port00

0b:97:da:a1:b6:08:00
web page request mac port00

MAC=60:38:e0:b4:8d:51:00:0b:97:da:a1:b6:08:00

gufus
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 22:35    Post subject: Re: still have Strange things in logs after r33180 install Reply with quote
Sam1789 wrote:

So I'm inspecting the logs a bit more. And I just locked the Laptop's firewall. Nothing new should be showing up like these things for a while at least?

Just disable Klogd on the 3200 to stop loging on the 3200

Sam1789
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 23:46    Post subject: Re: still have Strange things in logs after r33180 install Reply with quote
gufus wrote:
Sam1789 wrote:

Just disable Klogd to stop loging on the 3200

Grufus,
I actually want logs from each router in my stack. It is part of what I use to confirm that nothing gets thru that should not and that things do not manage to call home without permission. I just didn't realize that was what I was seeing. And it appears that dd-wrt is sending a lot more detail than I would have expected. For my older LinkSys router, I only get what is more of a summary.

While the WW logs can be large, they are nothing like what I see directly from Klogd. So do I need a replacement for Klogd?

Also do I need to clear out the syslog on the router? Or does it empty itself ie FIFO? (First In =First Out) And is there any way to erase it other than turning the logging on and off?

Thanks for explaining that rather long MAC address combination. Isn't that a rather strange way to log 2 items strung together like that?

For a while I need to handle these logs on an older XP PC (separate logs for each router in my stack). Next I'll be putting together a Raspberry Pi to gather the logs.

I appreciate this help.

regards,
Sam

gufus
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:40    Post subject: Re: still have Strange things in logs after r33180 install Reply with quote
Sam1789 wrote:

Also do I need to clear out the syslog on the router? Or does it empty itself ie FIFO? (First In =First Out) And is there any way to erase it other than turning the logging on and off?

Only on/off, it purges the log too, that is set in both klogd/syslogd

both kernel log and syslog is put here
/tmp/var/log/messages

gufus
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:54    Post subject: Re: still have Strange things in logs after r33180 install Reply with quote
Sam1789 wrote:

Thanks for explaining that rather long MAC address combination. Isn't that a rather strange way to log 2 items strung together like that?

all that info is the traffic the kernel sees

BTY

The klog time is GMT

panoramarts
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:28    Post subject: Re: Linksys 3200acm build 33180 Reply with quote
harrisedg wrote:
I like BS latest firmware. Uptime has been almost 24 hours no errors and the wifi signal is great. I have not had to set the router to reboot automatically. The previous version 33006 I had set it to automatically reboot every morning at 0500. Reason is you could not connect to wifi. I do still have a slight problem with the speedchecker. Running ie.11 still will not run test. Certainly not a performance issue though. I have a question regarding original firmware. Please help me to understand the steps. I have read and read information on the forum and know this is probably redundant, but please give me a break down all in one place.
I guess I am a little slow in understanding being able to get back to Linksys firmware. I'm sure I have overwritten the original firmware. Currently I am running 33180. I upgrade from 33006 and from 32597. Can you please tell me the steps including reset and if possible which file I should use to flash before flashing original Linksys firmware. If this is possible thru the web GUI or do I need to order a usb to ttl adapter. I understand the process once I get original firmware back on a partition. I would just like to have the option to go back to original firmware if needed.
Thanks,
Ed
Very Happy

For resetting back to Linksys Original FW. Hold Reset, rock the power switch ON and OFF (4) times.
myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:43    Post subject: Re: Linksys 3200acm build 33180 Reply with quote
panoramarts wrote:
harrisedg wrote:
I like BS latest firmware. Uptime has been almost 24 hours no errors and the wifi signal is great. I have not had to set the router to reboot automatically. The previous version 33006 I had set it to automatically reboot every morning at 0500. Reason is you could not connect to wifi. I do still have a slight problem with the speedchecker. Running ie.11 still will not run test. Certainly not a performance issue though. I have a question regarding original firmware. Please help me to understand the steps. I have read and read information on the forum and know this is probably redundant, but please give me a break down all in one place.
I guess I am a little slow in understanding being able to get back to Linksys firmware. I'm sure I have overwritten the original firmware. Currently I am running 33180. I upgrade from 33006 and from 32597. Can you please tell me the steps including reset and if possible which file I should use to flash before flashing original Linksys firmware. If this is possible thru the web GUI or do I need to order a usb to ttl adapter. I understand the process once I get original firmware back on a partition. I would just like to have the option to go back to original firmware if needed.
Thanks,
Ed
Very Happy

For resetting back to Linksys Original FW. Hold Reset, rock the power switch ON and OFF (4) times.

The on/off procedure is good for switching to the other partition. You say you have installed DD-WRT and then updated so you have overwritten the Linksys firmware. However, Brainslayer's latest builds have support for flashing the Linksys firmware from within the DD-WRT UI just like you were flashing a new DD-WRT build.

Read link in my sig second entry to find an easier way to switch to the other partition if DD-WRT is active.

ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
Sam1789
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:07    Post subject: Re: still have Strange things in logs after r33180 install Reply with quote
gufus wrote:
Only on/off, it purges the log too, that is set in both klogd/syslogd

both kernel log and syslog is put here
/tmp/var/log/messages

Thanks again for your help with my understanding of this log situation.

Can't that log location become an issue with router ram space rather quickly. I've read a bit about startup scripts. Can one be written to put the logs elsewhere besides the router like maybe over on my log handling device? Or maybe as a cron job run periodically & do the moving?

gufus wrote:
all that info is the traffic the kernel sees

BTY
The klog time is GMT

Presumably the log server programs look for message formats and interpret them according to an established set of criteria.
That also explains the 4 hour time difference. Presumably log servers take care of that also?

Now I will look at things like Syslog Watcher or the free Kiwi as possible replacements for the WallWatcher. Presumably rlog could run on a R-Pi?

Thanks Very Much.
Sam

gufus
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:31    Post subject: Re: still have Strange things in logs after r33180 install Reply with quote
Sam1789 wrote:

Can't that log location become an issue with router ram space rather quickly. I've read a bit about startup scripts. Can one be written to put the logs elsewhere besides the router like maybe over on my log handling device? Or maybe as a cron job run periodically & do the moving?

I've done it with lede

note the
option log_file '/mnt/sdb1/syslog'

That logs syslog to external storage on /mnt/sdb1

config system
option conloglevel '7'
option cronloglevel '8'
option log_file '/mnt/sdb1/syslog'
option hostname 'AC1900M'
option zonename 'America/Edmonton'
option timezone 'MST7MDT,M3.2.0,M11.1.0'

I'm not sure how to do it with dd-wrt

I guess u could hack up something in a cron job

first stop syslogd/klogd

move /tmp/var/log/messages to external storage on /mnt/sdb1

then start syslogd/klogd

DarkShadow808
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:58    Post subject: Re: Linksys 3200acm build 33180 Reply with quote
myersw wrote:
panoramarts wrote:
harrisedg wrote:
Thanks,
Ed
Very Happy

The on/off procedure is good for switching to the other partition. You say you have installed DD-WRT and then updated so you have overwritten the Linksys firmware. However, Brainslayer's latest builds have support for flashing the Linksys firmware from within the DD-WRT UI just like you were flashing a new DD-WRT build.

Read link in my sig second entry to find an easier way to switch to the other partition if DD-WRT is active.

Hi myersw,

I've read most of this thread, but I seemed to have missed the part about, "flashing the Linksys firmware from within the DD-WRT UI". So how do I go about doing this? Do I need to change the Linksys img file to bin?
myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:13    Post subject: Re: Linksys 3200acm build 33180 Reply with quote
DarkShadow808 wrote:

Hi myersw,

I've read most of this thread, but I seemed to have missed the part about, "flashing the Linksys firmware from within the DD-WRT UI". So how do I go about doing this? Do I need to change the Linksys img file to bin?

You have obviously flashed from within the dd-wrt ui or you would not have dd-wrt on both partitions. Grab the Linksys firmware and flash the same way as you did dd-wrt. Yes you can change the extension.

ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
DarkShadow808
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:14    Post subject: Re: Linksys 3200acm build 33180 Reply with quote
myersw wrote:
DarkShadow808 wrote:

Hi myersw,

You have obviously flashed from within the dd-wrt ui or you would not have dd-wrt on both partitions. Grab the Linksys firmware and flash the same way as you did dd-wrt. Yes you can change the extension.

Ok, thanks!
elvisimprsntr

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
elvisimprsntr wrote:
05dyna wrote:

The custom cable elvisimprsntr had made is nice because you get a secure fit because you don’t want the cable moving around while you’re flashing.

Glad the cable is working out for more than just myself.

If you don't want to drill holes in the housing, you can carefully remove the pins on the 6-pin connector side using a small flat head screw driver, then route them through the existing vent holes on the top or bottom. Or you can simply route the cable out through one of the feet without having to unpin the connector.

Effective immediately, I am no longer offering the WRT adapter on eBay. Between the eBay/PayPal fees, items reportedly “lost” in the mail which I’ve had to refund, and increasing demands on my time taking care of my father, I simply do not have the time or energy. I reached out to the WRT folks about selling them on the store, but they don’t seem to be interested. If someone wants to take over, send me a PM and I can put them in touch with the manufacturer in China
giles02134
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 14:26    Post subject: WRT3200ACM Reply with quote
Just bought WRT3200ACM. Does anyone know if the latest releases (r33257 from 20170829 seems to be the latest) have fixed the WiFi stability issue?

I'm hesitant to proceed with DD-WRT flash because I don't have a lot of time to deal with issues.

Everything I've read about the WRT1900ACS seems to indicate that it's solid and reliable, so I'm thinking of returning the 3200, and getting the 1900 instead.

Thanks for any insights!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 149, 150, 151 ... 197, 198, 199  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 150 of 199
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: