How to turn VPN on and off

Igo96047
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 0:39    Post subject: How to turn VPN on and off Reply with quote
My wife likes to watch Amazon movies but can't with the VPN active. Is there a simple way to turn the VPN service off so she can watch Amazon then on again after she is done?

Thanks

Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r32170M kongac (06/11/17)
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can use Policy based routing (if you are using OpenVPN) to route specific clients based on IP address through VPN and others (like your TV) through your ISP, maybe that is a solution?
Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
wadeshuler
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
This would still not work if he is using a Firestick and wants the VPN for Kodi. They would both be on the same device.
Igo96047
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:47    Post subject: No config page Reply with quote
This is the firmware I flashed Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r32170M kongac (06/11/17). I couldn't find config page and tick the radio button to disable the VNP client. The firmware I replaced had that button but wouldn't work with my VPN. If I'm looking in the wrong place please let me know.

Thanks
tectonic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 14:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
wadeshuler wrote:
This would still not work if he is using a Firestick and wants the VPN for Kodi. They would both be on the same device.

The (clumsy) way that I've solved this is to have two subnets, one of which is on a separate VAP. One routes through the VPN with various iptables rules added to the firewall script as a kill switch. The other goes straight out through my ISP. If I want to watch Netflix, I switch to the VAP.
wadeshuler
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
What about utilizing SSH?

For example, in Terminal on mac, you can connect via:
Code:
ssh -p 22 root:pass@192.168.1.1

From there, run the command to turn off OpenVPN:

Code:

/usr/sbin/openvpn stop
/usr/sbin/openvpn start

Note: Not sure the above paths are correct to ddwrt's openvpn. Just an example. Also, I am no dd-wrt expert. Just tossing out ideas.

Another idea, what about utilizing the web server? Depending on it's config, we could have a 3rd party interface page, so long as it can execute scripts from the web page.. A CGI, perl, php, C, or bash script could execute commands on the server, or at the least, ssh/telnet into the router and run the commands.. Then could block external access to the web server so only local traffic can access it.

Basically, an easy way to toss commands at the router from your phone (either ssh or web interface). Then just pull out your phone and toggle it.

If we were to pull the above off, what settings need to be toggled? is openvpn start/stop enough? Would the PBR break connectivity once we stop openvpn? Would we just need to change it's IP so the PBR doesn't apply, then swap it back?

Again, just ideas. I think it's probably possible, just not publicly done yet...

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am not an expert, but I have used different VPNs and I have never had any problem turning it on and off. If you have a VPN router so this could be a little trickier, and if so I am not sure you can turn it off unless you have it connected to a regular router as well.

Visit the website and explore it

https://www.vpnranks.com/
PatsyRFleming
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 15:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
kennethhall wrote:
I am not an expert, but I have used different VPNs and I have never had any problem turning it on and off. If you have a VPN router so this could be a little trickier, and if so I am not sure you can turn it off unless you have it connected to a regular router as well.

Visit the website and explore it

https://www.vpnranks.com/

Sure but for some type devices doing problem it's not depending on usage I have been using this for 1.5-year https://fastestvpn.com/usa-vpn but I remember that I have faced that sort of problem but after contacting their support I can resolve the issue successfully the moral of story is that you are using too much but some time stuck in unbelievable situation.
portsup
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
It would be good if OP went into a little more detail about the situation, like if his wife is using another computer etc, because PBR would be right if you wanted to enable only certain devices for the VPN. You could actually setup the PBR for destination based routing. So if you can work out the Amazon servers then you can just disable the VPN for them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: