New BS build r33006 8-03-2017

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Author Message
Brewder
DD-WRT User


Joined: 26 Dec 2015
Posts: 178

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
elvisimprsntr wrote:
elvisimprsntr wrote:
Been running Kong 2017-01-07 build for quite awhile. Finally took the plunge today and moved to BS r33006 on my WRT1900ACv1 (WDS Station), WRT1900ACSv1 (WDS AP), and even swapped in my spare WRT3200ACM (WDS AP) for awhile. Seems to be stable.

I would have left the WRT3200ACM swapped in as my primary router, except I don't think WDS works between the AC and ACM due to chip set differences or I am not setting it up correctly.


After approximately 3 days, both the ACv1 and ACSv1 wifi stopped working. Rebooted my networking gear (modem, firewall, WRTs) and still had to reboot a couple of wired clients in order to get all clients on the LAN. Seems this release is not stable.

At this point, I am close to giving up all hope WRT will ever support these routers with any degree of reliability. I just might switch back to stock firmware.


I moved off DD-WRT and now run a LEDE branch from David502c. It's been awesome. I highly recommend it.

WRT1900ACv1

//Brew
Sponsor
myersw
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 13 Jun 2006
Posts: 1609
Location: SE Michigan USA

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
elvisimprsntr wrote:
elvisimprsntr wrote:
Been running Kong 2017-01-07 build for quite awhile. Finally took the plunge today and moved to BS r33006 on my WRT1900ACv1 (WDS Station), WRT1900ACSv1 (WDS AP), and even swapped in my spare WRT3200ACM (WDS AP) for awhile. Seems to be stable.

I would have left the WRT3200ACM swapped in as my primary router, except I don't think WDS works between the AC and ACM due to chip set differences or I am not setting it up correctly.


After approximately 3 days, both the ACv1 and ACSv1 wifi stopped working. Rebooted my networking gear (modem, firewall, WRTs) and still had to reboot a couple of wired clients in order to get all clients on the LAN. Seems this release is not stable.

At this point, I am close to giving up all hope WRT will ever support these routers with any degree of reliability. I just might switch back to stock firmware.


There is always LEDE/Openwrt. Am running davidc502's LEDE build on my wrt3200. Running great. He makes a build for the wrt1900ac v1 that has the 4.4 kernel and latest wireless drivers that folks have good luck with as the 4.9 kernel causes reboots for some unknown reason. Have had good success with dd-wrt as well, but LEDE wireless is faster in my tests and browsing feels faster. I am sure you have seen the link to his builds before. LEDE with the Luci UI is easy to setup, but is certainly different then dd-wrt.

https://davidc502sis.dynamic-dns.net/

On that page you will find a link to his Openwrt thread where his build is discussed.

_________________
Unifi Security Gateway: Unifi Firmware
Netgear r7800: Voxel Firmware
Modem:Netgear CM500V voice and Data.
ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
LookingForMyMojo
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 29 Aug 2014
Posts: 693

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Easiest thing to do, is make a linux box from an old pc/laptop, and compile your own LEDE firmware, I have never had a faster network at home, then with my own images.
_________________
My "WRT" rant, and why I have gone ddwrt on x86, no more consumer routers. ( ac86u as access points & bridges )

https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=312142&highlight=ac86u
128bit
DD-WRT User


Joined: 03 May 2017
Posts: 132
Location: NC, USA

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 23:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
myersw wrote:

There is always LEDE/Openwrt. Am running davidc502's LEDE build on my wrt3200. Running great. He makes a build for the wrt1900ac v1 that has the 4.4 kernel and latest wireless drivers that folks have good luck with as the 4.9 kernel causes reboots for some unknown reason. Have had good success with dd-wrt as well, but LEDE wireless is faster in my tests and browsing feels faster. I am sure you have seen the link to his builds before. LEDE with the Luci UI is easy to setup, but is certainly different then dd-wrt.

https://davidc502sis.dynamic-dns.net/

On that page you will find a link to his Openwrt thread where his build is discussed.


whoa! that's a HUGE statement! i've been used to dd-wrt and have become a bit of a gurly-man with its ease of use. that said, i'll jump ship in a heartbeat for stability and performance. don't know much about other cultures but we americans embrace competition.

i thought i'd need openvpn but netflix/amazon flip me off when i enable it at the router level. i've since used it on each desk/laptop client instead of whole house connection. from what i gather here, lede/luci would be the ticket. any specific lede build that u suggest? also, do u have the same username on their forum? will i need to use telnet/ssh to force the load into the "beta" partition? i ask, cause like u, i run linksys fw in one partition.

i'm ready to broaden my horizons - hats off to u, mister. great post.

_________________
asus rt-ac86u stock: 3.0.0.4.384_45149
wrt3200acm: r34578 {sunset}
"why nibble when u can take a byte."
Kailen
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 07 Dec 2016
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 14:55    Post subject: Restricted Access Reply with quote
Does anyone know if any of brainslayers builds work with restricted access (website blocking)? I've been using kong build as long as i remember and it's never worked.

Also Whats the major differences between LEDE/Openwrt vs brainslayers?
myersw
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 13 Jun 2006
Posts: 1609
Location: SE Michigan USA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 15:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
128bit wrote:
myersw wrote:

There is always LEDE/Openwrt. Am running davidc502's LEDE build on my wrt3200. Running great. He makes a build for the wrt1900ac v1 that has the 4.4 kernel and latest wireless drivers that folks have good luck with as the 4.9 kernel causes reboots for some unknown reason. Have had good success with dd-wrt as well, but LEDE wireless is faster in my tests and browsing feels faster. I am sure you have seen the link to his builds before. LEDE with the Luci UI is easy to setup, but is certainly different then dd-wrt.

https://davidc502sis.dynamic-dns.net/

On that page you will find a link to his Openwrt thread where his build is discussed.


whoa! that's a HUGE statement! i've been used to dd-wrt and have become a bit of a gurly-man with its ease of use. that said, i'll jump ship in a heartbeat for stability and performance. don't know much about other cultures but we americans embrace competition.

i thought i'd need openvpn but netflix/amazon flip me off when i enable it at the router level. i've since used it on each desk/laptop client instead of whole house connection. from what i gather here, lede/luci would be the ticket. any specific lede build that u suggest? also, do u have the same username on their forum? will i need to use telnet/ssh to force the load into the "beta" partition? i ask, cause like u, i run linksys fw in one partition.

i'm ready to broaden my horizons - hats off to u, mister. great post.


I like davidc502's builds comes with most stuff I need. Here is the link to his builds, note the link also for going to the his tread on Openwrt forum.
https://davidc502sis.dynamic-dns.net/

If you have retained the Linksys firmware then flash from it. I always keep the Linksys firmware available so I can easily jump from one firmware to another. If Linksys UI is not available the first step would be to install the Linksys firmware.

The LEDE Luci UI is different and doing the configuration is different so you may want to do some reading first.

I am bill1228 on the LEDE/Openwrt site. Most folks figure that out real fast as the avatar I use is the same.

_________________
Unifi Security Gateway: Unifi Firmware
Netgear r7800: Voxel Firmware
Modem:Netgear CM500V voice and Data.
ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
Dioid
DD-WRT User


Joined: 01 Nov 2014
Posts: 57

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 18:13    Post subject: hope im not in the wrong thread is the only 1 i found Reply with quote
Flashed Archer c7 v2. Using Wlan too only use n, standard config and no problems, same is 841nd v9 used as repeater. Update via webgui No reset. No NVRAM erase.
BB
skuppej
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 08 Oct 2012
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks! New build seems to be working great on my Linksys WRT1900ACv2. My router reboots in a timely manner once again lol (build 32170 / 06-01-17 jacked this up).

I was able to install Entware-ng really easily after updating to this firmware by following these steps, whereas I was running into weird issues (seg fault) when attempting this on the previous build.
128bit
DD-WRT User


Joined: 03 May 2017
Posts: 132
Location: NC, USA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
myersw wrote:

I like davidc502's builds comes with most stuff I need. Here is the link to his builds, note the link also for going to the his tread on Openwrt forum.
https://davidc502sis.dynamic-dns.net/

If you have retained the Linksys firmware then flash from it. I always keep the Linksys firmware available so I can easily jump from one firmware to another. If Linksys UI is not available the first step would be to install the Linksys firmware.

The LEDE Luci UI is different and doing the configuration is different so you may want to do some reading first.

I am bill1228 on the LEDE/Openwrt site. Most folks figure that out real fast as the avatar I use is the same.


yep, i was on there again last night. didn't notice the avatar but figured 1228 was u. david's forum has over 120 pages and it's not clear where to begin learning. i may write u over there should i join.

that said, r33006 is up over 3+ days now and speeds are very good. i've backed off vpn on the router page but that worked ok too, albeit with much slower speeds

thanks bill.

_________________
asus rt-ac86u stock: 3.0.0.4.384_45149
wrt3200acm: r34578 {sunset}
"why nibble when u can take a byte."
myersw
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 13 Jun 2006
Posts: 1609
Location: SE Michigan USA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lots of good folks there. Especially starcms.
_________________
Unifi Security Gateway: Unifi Firmware
Netgear r7800: Voxel Firmware
Modem:Netgear CM500V voice and Data.
ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
slimbrick87
DD-WRT User


Joined: 10 Jul 2017
Posts: 92

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 0:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
My Linksys WRT1900ACS V2 has been running very well with r33006. For what it's worth, here are the details:

Router Model: Linksys WRT1900ACS V2
Firmware Version: DD-WRT v3.0-r33006 std (08/03/17)
Kernel Version: Linux 4.9.40 #35 SMP Sat Jul 29 03:12:47 CEST 2017 armv7l
OpenVPN client

No unexpected reboots, everything good.

-Slim
dougcsd
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 12 Aug 2017
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
So far so good.

Installed this on WRT1200ACv2

Clean install w/reset.

The really good news is this is the first version of DD-WRT that has worked with my Mobile Broadband USB Dongle (MC760) in a long time. This worked in very old versions, but not on any of the more recent builds on E3000, WRT1900ACS, or WRT1200ACv2 (I tried them all).

Hopefully this will be stable. I only use OpenVPN Client/Server, DDNS, 1 Port Forwarded, & Mobile Broadband features in this config. Only running a few hours so far, will give it a couple of days and update.

Update/FYI - I ended up aborting my test when I discovered what appears to be an IP forwarding issue between interfaces (specifically br0 and tap1). I can hit the local interface IPs across tap1, but packets don't reach other IPs on the same network. I also tried 31924, which appears to suffer from the same routing issue. The old version 30731 does not have this problem. I can see hits in ACCEPT FORWARD firewall rules for tap1 that I added, but tcpdump does not show these packets arriving on the tap1 or br0 destination interface (depending on packet direction). Might have something to do with the reboot issue under load, since it appears that the routing problem appears to have started around the same time.

Doug


Last edited by dougcsd on Sat Aug 12, 2017 13:45; edited 1 time in total
elvisimprsntr
DD-WRT User


Joined: 15 Nov 2008
Posts: 149

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
BACKGROUND

I want to thank everyone who suggested using LEDE. Its lightweight, fast, reliable, and works on all three Linksys WRT routers I have (ACv1, ACSv1, ACM). I am running the generic builds on all three. http://downloads.lede-project.org/releases/17.01.2/targets/mvebu/generic/

While LEDE does not have a lot of features DD-WRT has out of the box, I do not use or need them. In March, moved to a separate appliance from http://protectli.com running open source enterprise class firewall software from http://www.pfsense.org to allow me to easily add a Netgear LB1120 LTE Modem for dual WAN failover. I tried a number of off-the-shelf dual WAN failover routers (Cisco, Linksys), none of which offered the features I needed to restrict which LAN IP had access to the LTE failover WAN. Higher end enterprise class firewalls which may have offered those features were not cost effective for my needs. I could not be more pleased with pfSense, Protectli, and Netgear LTE modems.

NETWORK CONFIG

FW1: pfSense, Dual WAN failover, DHCP, Static Leases, IPSec VPN, OpenDNS servers, DyDNS
    WAN1: Crapcast -> Soon to be ATT Fiber
    WAN2: ATT IoT LTE 1GB/yr for $25

AP1: WRT1900ACSv1:AP mode, wired to FW1, firewall and DHCP disabled
AP2: WRT1900ACv1: xfinitywifi WWAN Client Bridge guest access, firewall, NAT, DHCP
AP3: WRT3200ACM: AP mode, wired to AP1, firewall and DHCP disabled, testing before placing into service

EASY WAY TO FLASH LEDE

The easiest way I found to flash LEDE is to download the LEDE factory image, then use the TTL Serial Console to flash via TFTP. Just remember to perform a factory reset after flashing LEDE to wipe out any config remnants from previous firmware. This eliminates the need to flash back to Linksys factory firmware just to re-flash LEDE, and you can flash over both partitions at the same time. Instructions: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1054186#1054186

The added bonus is LEDE drops into a Linux prompt over the TTL Serial Console so you can change the IP address to access the LuCI interface while still wired to you existing network. Example: ifconfig br-lan 192.168.69.200 netmask 255.255.255.0. The TTL Serial Console will also echo console log output so you can monitor what LEDE is doing.

If you need a Linksys WRT Series TTL Console Port Adapter, I still have a few left out of the 100 I had made in China for everyone. http://www.ebay.com/itm/132070173439 Demand does not seem to be that high, so I am not sure if I will have more made.

SUMMARY

DD-WRT seems to be getting bloated as it tries to do everything, for all routers in existence, and mostly by one or two developers (BS and Kong). And since Kong has stopped supporting the WRT Series, the quality of the DD-WRT builds for them seems to be on the decline. LEDE seems focused on doing a very limited number of things very well, but allows one to add additional packages to suit your specific needs.

After 10+ faithful years of running DD-WRT on my various routers over the years, I just might never switch back to DD-WRT. This may very well be my last post on DD-WRT, but I am sure you will be able to find me on the LEDE or OpenWRT forums.

Cheers!

Elvis

_________________
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheElvisImprsntr/
myersw
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 13 Jun 2006
Posts: 1609
Location: SE Michigan USA

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
@elvisimprsntr
Yes I like the light weight and just works of the LEDE build I am running, davidc502. Like that LEDE does not come with a bunch of never used by me "features". Down side is maybe having to edit text configuration files and figure out what packages you want to install in addition to the "out of the box" firmware. So it definitely is not for everyone in my opinion.

On the other hand, DD-WRT is easier for folks to setup and use. Has the features built in so no installing of packages needed, no configuration files to edit, and does in my situation run well. Up for days at at time, typically down for update is the only time down.

For someone just jumping into 3rd party firmware, I would suggest DD-WRT over LEDE/Openwrt for ease of setup and use.

_________________
Unifi Security Gateway: Unifi Firmware
Netgear r7800: Voxel Firmware
Modem:Netgear CM500V voice and Data.
ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
vit5421
DD-WRT User


Joined: 12 Nov 2015
Posts: 423

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 16:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
elvisimprsntr wrote:
BACKGROUND

I want to thank everyone who suggested using LEDE. Its lightweight, fast, reliable, and works on all three Linksys WRT routers I have (ACv1, ACSv1, ACM). I am running the generic builds on all three. http://downloads.lede-project.org/releases/17.01.2/targets/mvebu/generic/

While LEDE does not have a lot of features DD-WRT has out of the box, I do not use or need them. In March, moved to a separate appliance from http://protectli.com running open source enterprise class firewall software from http://www.pfsense.org to allow me to easily add a Netgear LB1120 LTE Modem for dual WAN failover. I tried a number of off-the-shelf dual WAN failover routers (Cisco, Linksys), none of which offered the features I needed to restrict which LAN IP had access to the LTE failover WAN. Higher end enterprise class firewalls which may have offered those features were not cost effective for my needs. I could not be more pleased with pfSense, Protectli, and Netgear LTE modems.

NETWORK CONFIG

FW1: pfSense, Dual WAN failover, DHCP, Static Leases, IPSec VPN, OpenDNS servers, DyDNS
    WAN1: Crapcast -> Soon to be ATT Fiber
    WAN2: ATT IoT LTE 1GB/yr for $25

AP1: WRT1900ACSv1:AP mode, wired to FW1, firewall and DHCP disabled
AP2: WRT1900ACv1: xfinitywifi WWAN Client Bridge guest access, firewall, NAT, DHCP
AP3: WRT3200ACM: AP mode, wired to AP1, firewall and DHCP disabled, testing before placing into service

EASY WAY TO FLASH LEDE

The easiest way I found to flash LEDE is to download the LEDE factory image, then use the TTL Serial Console to flash via TFTP. Just remember to perform a factory reset after flashing LEDE to wipe out any config remnants from previous firmware. This eliminates the need to flash back to Linksys factory firmware just to re-flash LEDE, and you can flash over both partitions at the same time. Instructions: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1054186#1054186

The added bonus is LEDE drops into a Linux prompt over the TTL Serial Console so you can change the IP address to access the LuCI interface while still wired to you existing network. Example: ifconfig br-lan 192.168.69.200 netmask 255.255.255.0. The TTL Serial Console will also echo console log output so you can monitor what LEDE is doing.

If you need a Linksys WRT Series TTL Console Port Adapter, I still have a few left out of the 100 I had made in China for everyone. http://www.ebay.com/itm/132070173439 Demand does not seem to be that high, so I am not sure if I will have more made.

SUMMARY

DD-WRT seems to be getting bloated as it tries to do everything, for all routers in existence, and mostly by one or two developers (BS and Kong). And since Kong has stopped supporting the WRT Series, the quality of the DD-WRT builds for them seems to be on the decline. LEDE seems focused on doing a very limited number of things very well, but allows one to add additional packages to suit your specific needs.

After 10+ faithful years of running DD-WRT on my various routers over the years, I just might never switch back to DD-WRT. This may very well be my last post on DD-WRT, but I am sure you will be able to find me on the LEDE or OpenWRT forums.

Cheers!

Elvis



@elvisimprsntr
I will not agree with your statements coz all problems are related to WRT`s units not to DDWRT. I did try LEDE and dont like it at all and will newer use it.
Many people are saying now that WRT`s are rock solid and working good on DDWRT or LEDE but its never been like that for my two years with 1200, 1900ac and acs and 3200 even with 2017 latest builds. Its half baked product btw same as LEDE in my opinion.

Two months ago I get rid of all my WRT units and get two Netgear r7800 with Kong build. (I am not using VPN and NAS functions).
Looks like Kong is working very hard now with r7800 and its really amazing how Qualcomm-Atheros can be miles ahead of Marvel. I am finally very happy internet user now.
Its just my opinion only
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum